Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxegen 2011 discussion *NO TICKET SALES/REQUESTS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Well I suppose I've never been to Glasto (yet, alas) but I'd be surprised if that as many people from Ireland go to Britain for Glasto as is the vice versa case for Oxegen. Impossible to say though, in reality.

i'd say a hell of a lot more people from Ireland go to Glastonbury tbh. it's a world-renowned fesitval with a myriad of things to do.

Oxegen isn't. it's essentially the same as several other festivals happening in the UK every summer. no-one outside of Ireland would know about it if MTV didn't buy the rights to it and put it on TV all the time. i can't see very many people travelling here for it tbh.

obviously we can never know, but if we could, i'd bet everything i own on more Irish visitors to Glasto, than UK visitors to Oxegen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

What I dont remember that, please provide a link...

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/0713/1224250542195.html

"Oxegen 2009 finally sold out yesterday evening after a last-minute rush for day tickets..."

There is my link, care to provide a link to your claim?

Also, the previous discussion between yourself and myself was page 136 on this topic, post #2023 and onwards.

i'd say a hell of a lot more people from Ireland go to Glastonbury tbh. it's a world-renowned fesitval with a myriad of things to do.

Oxegen isn't. it's essentially the same as several other festivals happening in the UK every summer. no-one outside of Ireland would know about it if MTV didn't buy the rights to it and put it on TV all the time. i can't see very many people travelling here for it tbh.

obviously we can never know, but if we could, i'd bet everything i own on more Irish visitors to Glasto, than UK visitors to Oxegen.

I'd be very surprised. If were are including the illegally occupied part of this island, then more people from Britain attend Oxegen for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Jesus Christ :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/features/2009/0713/1224250542195.html

"Oxegen 2009 finally sold out yesterday evening after a last-minute rush for day tickets..."

There is my link, care to provide a link to your claim?

Also, the previous discussion between yourself and myself was page 136 on this topic, post #2023 and onwards.
    Says a lot in fairness that you could remember the exact page and number of my posts when even I couldn't even remember writing that... ;)

Ill still keep my opinion; Festival selling out ≠ great festival

And oxegen has not sold out the last 2-3 years, its widely know like. Many people said the same thing as me back on that page also.

But seriously why does festivals selling out matter that much?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Don't compare Glastonbury ticket prices to Oxegen either in fairness. It destroys that festival in terms of value.

Says a lot in fairness that you could remember the exact page and number of my posts when even I couldn't even remember writing that... ;)

Ill still keep my opinion; Festival selling out ≠ great festival

And oxegen has not sold out the last 2-3 years, its widely know like. Many people said the same thing as me back on that page also.

I provide evidence and you still dismiss it. You have no evidence for your claim then? I thought as much. We both knew it was a really stupid, unsubstantiated claim to make!

I've this little secret weapon I use when I want to find old posts on boards.ie. It's called google.com. Type "oxegen sell out irish times boards.ie" into it and you find the page I'm referring to. Don't tell anyone else though, google is sort of my little secret. :cool: Oasis_Dublin 3 Charles Haughey 0

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

doughef wrote: »
    Hi all,

posted this elsewhere but have no replies yet

Oxegen VIP pass
    Hey all

luckily, through a relation of my mate we are getting VIP passes for Oxegen. We have got them a few times when this band plays and the last time we had free in all weekend.
    My friend has been promised 3 tickets this year.. nice one..
    However, as i hope to camp, can you access the camping site with these passes? and if it turns out that its only a day ticket can you buy weekend tickets down there?

Thanks

If you get VIP Camping tickets you get one band for the campsite(green normally) and one for your VIP access. You'd have to buy the normal tickets.
    Well, less than €185 for rock weather in 09 got me 4 days camping in awesome weather, with a line up of Coldplay, Metallica, Oasis, The prodigy, Kings of leon, the killers, 2ManyDjs, Nine inch nails, Boys Noize, Pendulum, etc. So oxegen is not that good of value really, if you take into account all the money you have to spend just on waterproof tents/clothing. Lots of festivals have the same acts as oxegen but for €50-60 cheaper. Its just typical rip off ireland, nothing new about that.

Pukklepop and many of the spanish festivals destroy us for value. The fact is by irish standards Oxegen is great value. O2 gigs as above are €55-100 for like 2hrs, last year I saw Prodigy, Guetta, BEP & Example(+Loads More) Those alone cover the cost of the ticket. Then the rest on top of that(Aoki in the dance arena :D ) bring the value way up. You've gotta account for the great buzz surrounding everything. If you do it right camping with your mates is actually lots of fun.

Typical Irish begrudgery :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I provide evidence and you still dismiss it. You have no evidence for your claim then? I thought as much. We both knew it was a really stupid, unsubstantiated claim to make!

I've this little secret weapon I use when I want to find old posts on boards.ie. It's called google.com. Type "oxegen sell out irish times boards.ie" into it and you find the page I'm referring to. Don't tell anyone else though, google is sort of my little secret. :cool: Oasis_Dublin 3 Charles Haughey 0
    Gosh darn it... you got me there!

Anyway, looking back at those posts, lots of people agreed with what I was saying... you... not so much. So again your wrong. And how can I provide a link to a newspaper? And im not trawling the internet for a petty argument on a internet forum.

Again: Festival selling out ≠ great festival

Do oxegen have to sell out to justify you going to it or something? Does it really matter that much?

Gosh darn it... you got me there!

Anyway, looking back at those posts, lots of people agreed with what I was saying... you... not so much. So again your wrong. And how can I provide a link to a newspaper? And im not trawling the internet for a petty argument on a internet forum.

Again: Festival selling out ≠ great festival

Do oxegen have to sell out to justify you going to it or something? Does it really matter that much?

Where did I claim anything about ticket sales = good festival? Seems like you just created some random point which you could rebuttal to.

Again, just to break it down, a few random "heads" on boards.ie agreeing with you doesn't prove anything. The Irish Times does.

You're not trawling the internet because you're talking out of your ars*!! Goodluck to your sir

I'm afraid that's a 4th.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Pukklepop and many of the spanish festivals destroy us for value. The fact is by irish standards Oxegen is great value. O2 gigs as above are €55-100 for like 2hrs, last year I saw Prodigy, Guetta, BEP & Example(+Loads More) Those alone cover the cost of the ticket. Then the rest on top of that(Aoki in the dance arena :D ) bring the value way up. You've gotta account for the great buzz surrounding everything. If you do it right camping with your mates is actually lots of fun.

its hands down the worst of all festivals i have been to, gone every year since 2002 and i go to 8 or 9 festivals a year fo last few years, nothing to do with how its run so much as the people whom attend... drunk teens and trouble making yobos. ep sadly is following suit. its not irish begrudgery, its acceptance... we can neither run our own country, nor a simple festival

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Enough about oxegen selling out! Who the feck cares! If your going to it, I doubt your going to care if there is 50k other people there or 100k.

Ah now, how is that irish begrudgery? Ive gone to oxegen years ago, but then went foreign and once you go foreign, you see how bad oxegen is. Lots of troublemakers at it, bad weather, over priced etc. Irish people shouldnt have to just go to oxegen just because its in the country, theres much better festivals out there... rock wercther, benicaseem, sonnisphere, glastonbury, roskilde... etc. for cheaper. Plus better weather, safer crowd in general.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Tinie wrote: »
    rock wercther, benicaseem, sonnisphere, glastonbury, roskilde... etc. for cheaper. Plus better weather, safer crowd in general.

big chill, leeds, latitude, download, reading, t in the park...

I'm not suggesting oxegen is "Europes number one" as they peg it. But its not nearly as bad as the name it gets. There are ****loads of little knackers about, but just have nothing to do with them. Play it right and its not a bad weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

I'm not suggesting oxegen is "Europes number one" as they peg it. But its not nearly as bad as the name it gets. There are ****loads of little knackers about, but just have nothing to do with them. Play it right and its not a bad weekend.
    The last year I went (2008), it was good the first few days, then we came back the second night to find our tent and a few others around us slashed, and raided, clothes and beer gone. Had to sleep in the car for the rest of the weekend. Also on the way home, we saw tents exploding and being set on fire. I have YET to see that happen at a foreign festival, honestly. Obviously it can happen, but its pretty regular at oxegen. Have not gone to oxegen since, and doubt I will ever go again, but maybe if its rebranded or put in a different area, then maybe.

Tinie wrote: »
    The last year I went (2008), it was good the first few days, then we came back the second night to find our tent and a few others around us slashed, and raided, clothes and beer gone. Had to sleep in the car for the rest of the weekend. Also on the way home, we saw tents exploding and being set on fire. I have YET to see that happen at a foreign festival, honestly. Obviously it can happen, but its pretty regular at oxegen. Have not gone to oxegen since, and doubt I will ever go again, but maybe if its rebranded or put in a different area, then maybe.

it happens at others i have seen it, leeds and even latitude. just not on the scale of oxegen

Where did I claim anything about ticket sales = good festival? Seems like you just created some random point which you could rebuttal to.

Again, just to break it down, a few random "heads" on boards.ie agreeing with you doesn't prove anything. The Irish Times does.

You're not trawling the internet because you're talking out of your ars*!! Goodluck to your sir

I'm afraid that's a 4th.

the irish times are not clear on the the amount sold? i cant read the article, if you could post it, thatd be great, as it what is the stated attendence? my information is solid as can be from spoken and i was clearly told and explained it was undercapacity so i would like clarification if y could

I've been saying this for years, its not reaaally as bad as people say it is etc...but then last year changed my mind. There's always been knackers at Oxegen, the number steadily increasing every year IMO with the increasingly mainstream friendly lineup. I've been lucky enough to never have problems myself, but last year was something else. Couldn't get over the amount of random fights, tent slashing/burning, completely wasted/passed/projectile vomiting teenagers I came across last year. The bottle/can throwing when the WC Final was on aswell, Oxegen has become a complete scum hole.

...see you there Fri yeah?

I'd be very surprised. If were are including the illegally occupied part of this island, then more people from Britain attend Oxegen for sure.

hang on...

nevermind, i see i am not going to get very far here

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Princessxx

Heya was just wondering the whole thing with drink will they take it of you if you have it in bottles in your bag like already mixed with a mineral or something if your 17 or are they really strict on that?

and do they make you take the caps of your drink going into the campsite or just going into the arena?

• Advertisement

hang on...

nevermind, i see i am not going to get very far here

Shouldn't be any confusion really. Anyway, back on topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

Princessxx wrote: »
    Heya was just wondering the whole thing with drink will they take it of you if you have it in bottles in your bag like already mixed with a mineral or something if your 17 or are they really strict on that?

and do they make you take the caps of your drink going into the campsite or just going into the arena?

I've never noticed them being strict to be honest. I've seen very many clearly underage people with full crates walking in, so you'd have to be very unlucky to get something taken off you. Don't be drunk walking in and don't be with a big group of lads (if you're all underage).

Just into the arena. Take a few spares into the arena when you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Hey I still have some last minute questions I need answered by friday. Please remember I will NOT be drinking so I don't need any advice on that.
    If I am going with a 3-day non camping ticket and returning home each night;

1. What time would I need to be at Naas each day to catch the Shuttle Bus?

2. What time would I realistically be able to catch a bus on each of the three nights back, with the crowds etc.?

3. Is food generally expensive?

karaokeman wrote: »
    Hey I still have some last minute questions I need answered by friday. Please remember I will NOT be drinking so I don't need any advice on that.
    If I am going with a 3-day non camping ticket and returning home each night;

1. What time would I need to be at Naas each day to catch the Shuttle Bus?

2. What time would I realistically be able to catch a bus on each of the three nights back, with the crowds etc.?

3. Is food generally expensive?

1. There was a shuttle bus every half hour when I was last there in 2009. I presume it won't be much different this year.

2. Within an hour of the end of the last performance on the main stage finishing.

3. In 2009, a chicken fillet roll was €7, a Captain Americas burger was €10 and a Dominos medium pizza with no toppings was €20. So, in a word, "yes!"

Dominos and Captain Americas? wowowowow

RasTa wrote: »
    Dominos and Captain Americas? wowowowow

I completely forgot captain Americas have a stall now. Those chicken burgers last year mmmmmmmm

I mean wow in a bad way, those shouldn't be let anywhere near a festival. They make enough as it is.

Dominos :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

The campervan tickets havent even sold out yet, first time ive ever seen that happen, with the weather forecast theirs gona be plenty of cheap tickets available this week, as usual!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Carl Sagan

The campervan tickets havent even sold out yet, first time ive ever seen that happen, with the weather forecast theirs gona be plenty of cheap tickets available this week, as usual!

I'd get one if there weren't so many fakes around.

Advertisement