Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids at concerts.

Options
  • 04-11-2010 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭

Hi just wondering if any parents here have taken their kids to concerts, if so, how old were the kids and what concert/artist?

Any advice on going to a concert with an 11 year old.

Many thanks

*never ever been to a concert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would say it depends on the concert, mine have been to the national concert hall for a few things and loved it, they have been to small gigs where they were seated and had a blast too.

I wouldn't bring kids to arena concerts, the crowds, the standing can be too much and then there is the noise level for thier little ears and then drunken idiots depending on what that act is and what the fans are like.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Which one is it and where? It totally depends. If it's seated you'll be grand. If it's standing avoid the very front as it gets packed. You might want to put the child on your shoulders for a look but some security don't allow it.

Bring wipes for hands and toilet. I've never been to a gig where I haven't needed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,040 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Which one is it and where? It totally depends. If it's seated you'll be grand. If it's standing avoid the very front as it gets packed. You might want to put the child on your shoulders for a look but some security don't allow it.

Bring wipes for hands and toilet. I've never been to a gig where I haven't needed them.
    I doubt you can put anyone on your shoulders at any gig anywhere in this country. It's up there with crowd surfing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Hi again,

Taking her to Taylor Swift in the o2, its not few a few months but i have no idea what to expect as i have never been to a concert.

Its seated towards the back and in the middle. At least we will be one of the first to leave, cant imagine the crowd leaving, busy busy.

Many thanx for your replys.

Taylor Swift! The things we have to endure for our kids! ;)

Don't worry, a concert like that is set up for kids that age. It will be an interesting experience for you.

If it's on in the Point, the Luas is IMO the best way of getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Taylor Swift! The things we have to endure for our kids! ;)

Don't worry, a concert like that is set up for kids that age. It will be an interesting experience for you.

If it's on in the Point, the Luas is IMO the best way of getting there.

At least she wont be rocking us out of it, I tried to get katy perry but that was sold out in seconds. I hate crowds, I'm dreading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Hi Grindlewald,

the 02 is a fantastic venue, very well organized place with great staff so you should have no bother
    it's pretty much going to be full of 11year old girls!

My friends brought their kids to see taylor in liverpool around this time last year and the girls (10&12) were showing me videos of the concert...all I can say is bring earplugs!
    thousands of screaming girls does not sound pleasant!!!:D

It unsettles me seeing kids at the likes of a metallica gig, they just look tired and fed up and it's not a nice environment for them

you'll be sound in the 02 for that gig, it'll be kids of a similar age, you'll be seated and drinking won't be an issue so it won't get messy

Have a great time, it'll be a fab experience for her:)

Yeah, the O2 is not a claustrophobic venue, very airy. I would advise staying in your seats until a lot of people have left if you're worried but usually people just head straight back out to the Luas.

I was there heavily pregnant last year and felt at ease even when being in big meetings at work was making me edgy. You'll be grand.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Ive brought my eldest to Avril Lavigne when she was 8 or so.That was lets just say "fun".Someone mentioned thousands of screaming kids--I dont think I could hear Avril over them to be honest.

Greenday twice-once in 2009 and this year in Marlay park--shes 12 now.I brought her to that under the pretence that she was going mad to see them when in reality Im a bigger Greenday fan than her and it was quite surprising to see parents my age with their 11/12 year olds.

She absolutely loved both the greenday ones.We even ended up in the pit in marlay park.

Its really safe and the security were brilliant with her even in the pit as she was on crutches at the time--Made a miraculous recovery at the gig though.

OP youve nothing to worry about.Safety seems to be a big concern now at gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

One of my daughter's classmates (1st class in primary) was at Lady Gaga at the Point recently. Seemed crazy to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Don't worry OP about your daughter, she'll be delighted with the concert :) I was at Metallica last summer and saw kids as young as 7 or 8 up there who had no bother with the crowds.

ETA: They actually seemed to be coping better with the crowd than I was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There were a few kids I know taken to Jedward last year. They were all in first and second class. None of them had any problem with the crowds themselves but hated the noise from the screaming/cheering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Depends on the kid and the gig. I have a 7yr old nephew that goes to every rock and metal gig, loved the Kiss gig, iron maiden, metallica, all of them, he is in his element. My 8 yr old has been to girls aloud which she loved and Bon Jovi, no problems at all but there are other kid sthat just wouldnt enjoy the crowds and the noise. If you feel your child would be comfortable go for it, Taylor Swift is unlikely to be a hugely high energy gig and most probably aimed at younger people anyway.

Advertisement