Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

amacachi wrote: »
    Stupid question, when would be the best night to go camping to see the storm, Sunday or Monday night? :)

If you are in Dundalk, (going by your profile location) both nights should fairly wild nights. Winds on monday night will be more easterly so you should get a nice stiff breeze in off the coast there!

Vain wrote:
    What time do we expect this to hit Kerry? Im in Tralee. Im i right in saying it wont be for another 16hours or so?

sometime around noon or shortly after the first effects of the front will start to make an impact. Will worsen towards evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Best night to go camping to see the storm lol:pac: Never!!!
    Is there anybody normal looking at these threads :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you are in Dundalk, (going by your profile location) both nights should fairly wild nights. Winds on monday night will be more easterly so you should get a nice stiff breeze in off the coast there!
    Cool, will either be on a beach or on an eastward-facing slope of a wee mountain. Monday sounds good so. :)
    Hooter23 wrote: »
    I have a week off college, gonna enjoy it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

Hooter23 wrote: »

amacachi camping thats brave!! Just make sure you have an inflatable dingy and one of those mary poppins umbrellas, I'm in Waterford I'll keep an eye on the sky for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Feck!!! My weather station is defunct, has been these past few months, kept meaning to get it fixed and now this comes along.......damn.

Not that it matters because if the media is to believed I'm probably going to die anyway......I dont want to alarm anyone or anything! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I think it is just our luck that we exist in what surely must be the most boring and inept weather periods in history. :(

That's Climate Change for ya, floods, heatwaves, hurrica..... oh wait !! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Just looking at www.sat24.com and this thing seems to be powering towards Ireland with its wind and rain. Cant see it holding off till 6pm. 2 or 3pm it will be hitting the Atlantic coasts and 9pm perhaps the far side of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

attachment.php?attachmentid=133997&stc=1&d=1289119157

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

This is going to be just a coastal event, as apart from yet another band of rain crossing the country, for most people inland it will be nothing special, with moderate winds giving gusts much less than what we've seen before. The latest TAFs give nothing more than force 6-7 and 45kt gusts. I'd say come tomorrow night there'll be a lot of people on here wondering what all the fuss was about.

For coastal areas and exposed upland areas, though, it will be one to watch, with coastal flooding the big headline, and for those people, it could a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The latest GFS charts seem to have this tracking now on a more SE run from today onwards and not as Southerly as 1st predicted. Been looking at some of the satellite images and she looks a beast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

What about this new storm (?) developing for thursday? Any update on that? Could that be bad also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Su Campu wrote: »
    This is going to be just a coastal event, as apart from yet another band of rain crossing the country, for most people inland it will be nothing special, with moderate winds giving gusts much less than what we've seen before. The latest TAFs give nothing more than force 6-7 and 45kt gusts. I'd say come tomorrow night there'll be a lot of people on here wondering what all the fuss was about.

For coastal areas and exposed upland areas, though, it will be one to watch, with coastal flooding the big headline, and for those people, it could a nightmare.

Exactly right. Met Eireann have downgraded the event, Coastal gales and some flooding risk there, but nothing more out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Nothing more than a wet and windy night ahead for most of us. Some strong gusts on exposed north and maybe northeast coasts, but not looking like anything really stormy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Exactly right. Met Eireann have downgraded the event, Coastal gales and some flooding risk there, but nothing more out of the ordinary.

Cor your right there!

Today

Any showers will soon die away and the morning will be generally dry and bright with good sunny spells. Becoming cloudier in the afternoon with rain in the west by evening. Light winds this morning, but southerly winds will freshen during the afternoon. Highest temperatures today of 7 to 9C.

Tonight

Wet and windy this evening and early tonight in all parts of the country. Lowest temperatuers of 4 or 5C.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

amacachi wrote: »
    Stupid question, when would be the best night to go camping to see the storm, Sunday or Monday night? :)

I did that once. The storm is still laughing at me even today.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it looks like a monster on the satellite images, and its right on Irelands doorstep

http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?page=ir

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

leahyl wrote: »
    Was there another one in 98? I can't remember there being two consecutively one year after the next - was that countrywide?
    Hurricane Stephen, My neighbour had to get his roof replaced!!!
    Came on St.Stephens Day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day_Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Pangea wrote: »
    Hurricane Stephen, My neighbour had to get his roof replaced!!!
    Came on St.Stephens Day
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_Day_Storm

Thanks for that bit of trivia! That's why I don't remember it so cos it didn't happen down south:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Beautiful bright sunny morning here. Early mist now clear. Not a cloud in the sky. Not a breeze. Truly a gorgeous calm before a gorgeous storm :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

fryup wrote: »
    it looks like a monster on the satellite images, and its right on Irelands doorstep

http://www.sat24.com/homepage.aspx?page=ir

Thats a big system heading our way. In fairness all the media hype and talk of hurricanes was way over the top. But this will dump a lot of rain on us in a short space of time and there will be strong gusts of wind in places so its not to be taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

How will driving conditions fare? Heading to Dublin tonight around 8!

Right now its looks like the calm before the storm, just been outside and its a lovely sunny morning with no clouds, very fresh although there was Ice on windscreen this morning at 3 degrees when in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I'm working right on the coast. In a pub on a clifftop facing NW. Will try and get pics of the beast as it approaches. Bookings for window dining tables are at summer levels today. Should be an interesting day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

birds chirping, suns out, not a breeze. the calm before the storm is right. batten down the hatches, we're in for a bumpy ride...... i think

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

met eireann said it will hit tonight ..but looking at those sat images it looks more like early afternoon esp for the western half of the country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

There expecting Force 9 or Storm Force 10 in the Carlingford Lough later according to Belfast coastguard.
    Its all blue skies here in Dundalk at the minute though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

fryup wrote: »
    met eireann said it will hit tonight ..but looking at those sat images it looks more like early afternoon esp for the western half of the country

The first part of it is the upper cirrus shield from the warm front, so that's hundreds of miles ahead of the surface system. We'll soon see it as an increasingly thickening area of wispy clouds, gradually lowering as the day goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

Is it gonna hit dublin still? cause there is blue skys and sun here

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

these might be worth a look later before it gets dark.

http://www.lahinchsurfshop.com/lahinch/magico.asp?magpage=9

http://www.oceanscene.ie/blog/?cat=2
    espeicially the oceanscene tidecheck cam

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Sunny and calm here near Ashbourne. Have me candles and torches ready as we usually lose electricity in a storm.

Thanks to you all - enjoying this very interesting thread :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭naughto

3hr-rain.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement