Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potential Stormy - Sun/Mon (Media hyped storm, never forecast by Met/Boards)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

Have to say the more this unfolds the more it is starting to look like a complete non event to me...

Probably just flagged so much by the authorities over the last few days in case against all expectations, it turned out to be a repeat of the flooding of last year and people went over the edge and went absolutely beserk on the assumption that the authorities didn't properly prepare for the event, so it was processed as worst case scenario from the outset, 400 plus Irish Army folks on standby, deep water trucks, speedboats, blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

blobbie wrote: »
    Check out metcheck 7 day forecast for Dublin :eek:

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/7days.asp?zipcode=dublin

LOL. Think someone may be putting in a third digit by accident there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Wind picking up in Dublin 7. First drops of rain now. Feels cold.
    Cat insists being indoors is better this evening.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Nothing much happening here other than persistant rain.

I popped down to an Atlantic storm beach nearby a couple of hours ago to check out the Atlantic after the rain arrived, there was nothing much to see, there was some swell but nothing major, no 9 metres waves.

The bay was fairly calm, yesterday it was more choppy with white horses.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Ryanair flight FR7CJ inbound to Knock airport has taking up a hold position awaiting a drop in wind speed at the airport,if not there off to Shannon. Edit,tower just issued a wind check,has dropped off and so there continuing the approach for landing at EIKN.There were about 10 minutes in the hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

MikeySligo wrote: »
    LOL. Think someone may be putting in a third digit by accident there

Fecking hope so!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Have to say the more this unfolds the more it is starting to look like a complete non event to me...

Probably just flagged so much by the authorities over the last few days in case against all expectations, it turned out to be a repeat of the flooding of last year and people went over the edge and went absolutely beserk on the assumption that the authorities didn't properly prepare for the event, so it was processed as worst case scenario from the outset, 400 plus Irish Army folks on standby, deep water trucks, speedboats, blah blah blah...

Yeah, call me cynical, but I suspect it was Met Eireann covering their arses incase flooding did arrive and they were blamed for not giving adeqaute warnings. As such they over-compensate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Heavy rain and getting a bit windy here in Waterford now. Thats about as much as I was expecting. :pac:

I feel sorry for the people who don't usually follow the weather forum and came on today expecting a hurricane after all the nonsense hype in the media.

Good news that there has been no flooding yet in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

And there's absolutely no issues with a non event if that is what happens.

I think the main reason there has been so much talk about this is the fact that the hightides, flooded rivers and potential storm surge (even if minor) has the potential to effect our biggest cities.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Heavy rain has started here, wind is also getting more gusty but nothing out of the ordinary. Temp 7.9c, RH 80%, Pressure 996.0mb

Stats from: www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Finally some strong winds and heavier rain here, nothing exceptional but I'd imagine its a lot worse on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

agree with you,bit of "the boy who cried wolf" situation

Looks like the worst is over for Belmullet. Gusting to 90kph now after managing gusts to 103kph at 5pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

kippy wrote: »

I think the main reason there has been so much talk about this is the fact that the hightides, flooded rivers and potential storm surge (even if minor) has the potential to effect our biggest cities.

All this and it keeps our minds and the headlines away from the state of our economy ! Even if just for one day !

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Snowing in Dublin Mountians! :):):)

Kidding, kidding - sorry! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭HellFireClub

kippy wrote: »

I hear you, better as a matter of strategy to prepare for the worst. However on the subject of high tides, you wouldn't see London being effected by a supposed weather event such as this... It's 2010 and we can't even protect two large cities of ours from a high tide if it happens to coincide with a low pressure weather event. A lot done, more to do is right...

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Such an anticlimax here in Cork :( I can no longer see the trees so I am judging wind speed by the leaves just outside my apartment patio. They are stationary :rolleyes: and have been all evening *humph*!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭tvbrat

Starting to rain here in Dublin city centre
    Wind has picked up a little bit
    Temp is at 7.1 Deg
    Pressure at 995 hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Belting down in Dundalk now with rain...wind isn't up to much yet though.
    Not looking forward to morning commute...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Why are people saying this is an anti-climax and everything, first of all it's only beginning and secondly it's not gonna be much more than heavy rain and a few gales. Stop reading the media and start reading this thread and you'll understand a bit better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

forecast is spot on for where I am in Waterford. Winds gradually picking up since about 5 and raining just after.

Look at the data from the K5 buoy.

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/show_plot.php?station=64045&meas=wdpr&uom=M&time_diff=0&time_label=GMT

Wow. What a pressure drop. 965 and still falling. Was 1010 just 12 hours ago.

Edit : down to 961 now and still dropping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Heavier rain coming in from the west now and that will probably have the strongest winds with it I think and then good riddance to this joke of a storm:pac:
    The following days and weeks do have a lot of potential for some proper storms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

This is not quite the Armageddon I had been expecting.... had my rowboat ready, wellies and fishing waders beside the door, beans and gas bottles in stock and......bleagh...?......:confused:

Little bit wet here in Crosshaven but high tide is past and it was a couple of feet below critical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Coast guard weather forecast currently live here http://ei7dar.com/ais.html

Storm force 10 off north west.

Next forecast is at 19:03 from Dublin CG

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Gusts and rain arrive in unison here in Nrt Co Dublin!!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Dry, warm and no wind here at moment in my sitting room.:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,502 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Dublin City Council are not expecting any flood danger until between 12AM tonight and 12PM tomorrow. Apparently they are to release water from their upstream reservoirs during the night, but they are quietly confident that there will be no flooding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Just got quite gusty here in Dundalk, heavy rain and the odd strong gust. Not a nice night for driving the M1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

This radar image just looks wrong. It's more like an ink splodge.

Web_radar-3.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement