Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best SIM for use when in NI?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what Pay As You Grovel SIM is best for use when heading up to NI? Not for frequent use, just for the odd shopping trip, visiting friends etc say once or twice a month.

I was looking to get an O2 UK PAYG SIM but found one called GiffGaff that looks good. Reason being I don't want to have to top it up every month in case I don't head to NI that time.

What do you use/recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

What do you want to do with this SIM? Call UK mobiles, call NI landlines, call ROI mobiles, use data or what? It is hardly worth getting a different SIM for an odd visit unless you are doing something which is going to to be a lot cheaper than just using your regular SIM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

ardmacha wrote: »
    What do you want to do with this SIM? Call UK mobiles, call NI landlines, call ROI mobiles, use data or what? It is hardly worth getting a different SIM for an odd visit unless you are doing something which is going to to be a lot cheaper than just using your regular SIM.

It's more for data roaming. I use the Google Navigation app when going to different places in NI. Got a fright at my last bill! Plus for making the odd call etc.

I've an unlocked phone so figured putting in a dual card holder and a UK SIM in there should enable me to switch over once I cross the border and carry on using my Sat Nav and make calls etc without the worry of roaming costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Three will not charge you for data roaming on 3 UK, although they have feck all 3 coverage West of the Bann. Vodafone bill accounts don't charge anything for data roaming either. Vodafone they are introducing charges for PAYG later in the month, although they should not rationally charge extra for data in NI, as they do not charge extra for calls they seem to intend this retrograde step. As to whether calls will be significantly cheaper depends on where they are to.

Move to Vodafone bill, I'd say.

Advertisement