Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Milk Cheese

Options
  • 03-11-2010 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Wondering has anyone any ideas for unique additives/flavourings to homemade cheeses?
    I have been making cheese for about a year and have tried adding chilli flakes and black pepper but looking for some new ideas coming up to Christmas when I will have lots of visitors ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Split from Cooking Club thread.

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I lived in the Netherlands for a good while, and two of my favourite cheeses with "bits" in them were mosterdkaas with whole mustard seeds and komijnekaas with caraway seeds. (Note: many online sources will say it's cumin due to the similarity of the two words, but believe me it isn't!) You need quite a lot of each, so don't be stingy with the quantities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Wondering has anyone any ideas for unique additives/flavourings to homemade cheeses?
    I have been making cheese for about a year and have tried adding chilli flakes and black pepper but looking for some new ideas coming up to Christmas when I will have lots of visitors ??

I would love to try the below and they might give you an idea

Raspberry Herbal Tea Flavoured Cheese
    Lapsang Souchog Black Tea( both semi hard cheddar type cheese)
    Bare Buzzed- Cows cheese hand rubbed with a blend of coffee and lavender buds combined with oil to bind.
    Sea Hive- Cows cheese hand rubbed with wild widflower honey and sea salt.
    Sage Derby- semi hard cheese with sage mixed in, or you can use parsley or spinach, marigolds instead.
    Snowdonia Ginger Spice- chunks of stem ginger added.
    Arran Mustard Chedder
    Balmoral Chedder- laced with claret

Advertisement