Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First World War Exhibition - Christ Church Bray

Options
  • 04-11-2010 12:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

For the second year running an exhibition of First World War memorabilia is to be held in Christ Church Bray, running from Sunday 7th November - Sunday 14th of November. (Opening Hours 10.00am - 4.00pm Monday to Saturday & 1.00pm - 4.00 pm on Sundays).

http://www.christchurchbray.org/sites/default/files/Rememberance_Exhibition_Poster.pdf

I went along last year (2009), very moving & thought provoking.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LordSutch wrote: »
    For the second year running an exhibition of First World War memorabilia is to be held in Christ Church Bray, running from Sunday 7th November - Sunday 14th of November. (Opening Hours 10.00am - 4.00pm Monday to Saturday & 1.00pm - 4.00 pm on Sundays).

http://www.christchurchbray.org/sites/default/files/Rememberance_Exhibition_Poster.pdf

Excellent - thanks for posting that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

LordSutch wrote: »

I went to this earlier today and found it pretty interesting. The centrepiece were large blow ups of a series of pictures from a series of negatives discovered in 1994 belonging to an Irish woman whose grandfather fought for the French in WW1.

The photograps are apparently unpublished elsewhere and I found them all interesting.

Very well displayed and in a format that allowed for examination of detail.

Several photographs of artillery pieces, destroyed french towns, war dead and dismembered carcasses. One of the war dead ones which stood out was of a skull placed ontop of a knapsack beside a grave. It was unclear if this was a disturbed grave hastily re-arranged or some kind of attempt at humour or even an attempt at a respectful placing by the French of the German war dead. There were others which reinforced the point that dead and dismembered carcasses were not all that unusual to these men.

Also one poignant one of a man cooking his meal in a trench where he had managed to create some semblance of hygiene and order by using 2 bayonets stuck into the trench wall to hold a plate over a candle. Complete with local flowers for decoration.

There were also several medals on display and the organisers had printed out biographies of several fallen soldiers. I would have liked to have seen more Irish connected material but overall a very nice display and well worth the trip. The makeshift trench and other bric brac didn't impress me - it just reminded me of the IWM one in London which obviously made this one look amateur. Overall I would recommend it to anyone who gets a chance - those photographs make it well worth the trip.

Advertisement