Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

from zero to ...

• 04-11-2010 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Starting from scratch and weighing in at a hefty 123.5 kg I decided to get my act together and get back on a bike after 10 years off it.

I live 29 kms from work so ive been aiming to do that round trip comfortably every few days with a few longer (and shorter) trips thrown in.

Im currently on a trek 7.5 fx but as I type this my new cube attempt has arrived so once the weight is down a bit Ill start pusing up the distance on that.

As of yet I havent adjusted my diet too much other than to restrict take aways to once a fortnight. Otherwise my diet is pretty average and not too unhealthy.

Week Begining 18/10/10.

Starting Weight 123.5 kg.

Mon - 20 km.

Tue - nil.

Wed - 12 km.

Thur - nil.

Fri - nil.

Sat - 60 km.

Sun - nil.

Week Begining 25/10/10.

Starting Weight 123.0 kg.

Mon - 10 km.

Tue - 22.5 km.

Wed - 10 km.

Thur - 12.

Fri - nil.

Sat - 29 km.

Sun - 29 km.

Week Begining 01/11/10.

Starting Weight 121 kg.

Mon - 58 km.

Tue - nil.

Wed - 21 km.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭catastrophy

Thurs - 12 km.

First quick spin on the new bike. My neck is a bit stiff and I had the slightest of pains in my lower back due to the unfamiliar geometry but Im hoping that will sort itself out with a few regular short spins.

On a brighter note any pain I had in my sit bones is now gone - yay!

Fri - nil.

Sat - 29 km.

Sun - 29 km.

My commute to work on Sat night and home again early Sun morning. Pushed myself a wee bit on the way home and shaved 5 mins off my average.

Week Begining 08/11/10.

Starting Weight 120.5 kg.

Mon - 58 km.

Tues - nil.

Weds - 100 km.

County Kilkenny to Rosslare, way harder than I thought it would be. Anyway, I made it and Im still alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Good work there catastrophy.

Just going down the same route myself. I should probably start my own training log and we can watch each other's progress.

Any other big lads out there want to join in?

justo wrote: »
    Keep up the good work.
    trad wrote: »
    Good work there catastrophy.

Just going down the same route myself. I should probably start my own training log and we can watch each other's progress.

Any other big lads out there want to join in?

Thanks lads. The training log keeps a bit of interest going alright. tbh I had no idea how addictive this cycling lark is.

Thurs - nil.

Fri - 12 km.

Wasnt overly sore or tired on Thurs, just felt like a lazy day. Only a short spin today.

Sat - 58 km.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

That's alot of Kilometers. Well done. Make sure you don't do too much too soon though.

• Advertisement

Planet X wrote: »
    That's alot of Kilometers. Well done. Make sure you don't do too much too soon though.

Yeah, its starting to add up alright. Just trying to put in the distance when the weather allows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Yeah, its starting to add up alright. Just trying to put in the distance when the weather allows.

Keep up the work. Dont push overly hard initially. I much prefer 2 or 3 2/3 hour cycles rather than one 5 or 6 hour w/e cycle. I find that shorter cycles more often have been a greater help to me for weight management an training.

Sun - nil.

Week Begining 15/11/10.

Starting Weight 120.0 kg.

Mon - 29 km.

Tues - 29 km.

Night time and early morning respectively. Christ it was cold. Got a slap of a wing mirror from a gob****e in a van despite being well in the hard shoulder and being lit up like a christmas tree.

Weds - nil.

Thurs - nil.

Fri - 58 km.

Starting to get into this cycling lark ... nobody warned me that its addictive.

Sat - 33 km.

Sun - 41 km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭morana

ROK ON wrote: »
    Keep up the work. Dont push overly hard initially. I much prefer 2 or 3 2/3 hour cycles rather than one 5 or 6 hour w/e cycle. I find that shorter cycles more often have been a greater help to me for weight management an training.

Graeat advice! if you can do 5 1 hour cycles it is shown to be better than 1 5 hr cycle...

Your weight is coming down so keep up the good work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

keep up the good work!

/ everytime I'm browsing the main forum, and I look up to see the last post is by you in this forum it reads "from zero to... catastrophy" which raise a smile each time :D

Week begining 17/01/11.

Mon - nil.

Thurs - 16 km.

Back yesterday after a bad weather/injury enforced break. Ive gone back an awful lot but its time to push on a bit now. Restarting the daily(nightly) commute from Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Hey

Just wondering where abouts you go for a spin. I see you were around kilkenny, im down in waterford and could meet ya for a spin, if your down this way

dermo f wrote: »
    Hey

Just wondering where abouts you go for a spin. I see you were around kilkenny, im down in waterford and could meet ya for a spin, if your down this way

i plan on heading down that way later on this year.

Sat - 29 km.

Week Begining 15/11/10.

Mon - 58 km.

Tues - nil.

This will be another quiet week because of matches etc. I might get some time on sat and sun to go for a spin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Sound sure pm me if your about

neglected this thread a bit of late. bad weather and football curtailed my commutes but I did a bit to keep sharp.

Any way, dropped below 19 stone for the first time in 2 years (18stone 12 as of this morning) so I went for a spin on the cube I bought before xmas (the difference between the 2200 and 105 groupsets is amazing).

Ive got an goal now, the Sean Kelly tour on the 28th of August. Started the training for it today .... will upload the stats from the garmin later.

14 02 11

31 km - 1hr 15m 59s - 24.5 Av Speed - 137 Av HR - 861 Cals

16 02 11

32 km - 1hr 25m 58s - 22.6 Av Speed - 145 Av HR - 1028 Cals

Picked a hilly route today with plenty of short steep climbs (well for me anyway). I enjoyed it alot.

Note to self - avoid cycling past schools at lunchtime (and the jeery little bastards that inhabit them), especially when your going uphill.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Week Begining 15/11/10.

Mon - 58 km.

Tues - nil.

This will be another quiet week because of matches etc. I might get some time on sat and sun to go for a spin.

looks like good progress.

A suggestion: why don't you replace the word 'nil' with 'rest' in your training log - might be a more positive outlook from a cycle-logical point of view :p

• Advertisement

justo wrote: »
    looks like good progress.

A suggestion: why don't you replace the word 'nil' with 'rest' in your training log - might be a more positive outlook from a cycle-logical point of view :p

will do :)

Advertisement