Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Television set deals in Galway

Options
13»

Comments

Your HD ready TV will display pictures only in HD if you have something attached to your TV that is capable of transmitting a HD image. For Example if you have a PS3 or blu ray player this will show a HD picture on your TV. If you have a normal UPC or Sky box the picture on your TV will not be HD, it will just be the normal "Soft Definition" that you get on a non HD telly. You'll need a special HD box from UPC/SKY, a HD subscription, and be watching a TV channel that is being broadcast in HD, eg. SkyOneHD before you get a HD picture on your telly. Its all unnecessarily confusing :confused:
    NOT TRUE.There are other options.
    RTE 2 will be going high definition next year and is already broadcasting a high definition test.
    All analogue,what you get now through an aerial is being switched off at the end of 2012 so as sponge has pointed out it is IMPERATIVE that any new tv you get has an MPEG4 DECODER
    If in doubt, as to see the saorview service on it.Saorview is what RTE is calling their free digital service.
    If they can't do that for you,then be very suspicious.
    Then ask to see the technical spec sheet for the tv and see if it has an mpeg 4 decoder.
    If it only says it has a dvbt mpeg 2 tuner then forget it.

If it says it has a freeview hd dvbt2 tuner,then it's ok as that is mpeg4.

Long and shot of it is,there are digital tellys being dumped on the irish market that won't work after 2012 unless you attach a set top box to them or pay a upc or sky sub or are using an external device like a ps3

Amik wrote: »
    I recieved a flyer yesterday about some electronics sale in a Galway hotel on the Nov 16th. I forget the name of it off the top of my head but the prices were crazy. 32" Sharp LCD for like 200 EUR or something. There was a 2 EUR admission to the event. Anyone know if it's a scam or something?
    No guarantee,no comeback and probably all mpeg 2 with the major pitfall mentioned in my previous post.
    Though for 2 euro I'd go along and see whats there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The USB sticks may not work in Windows XP or Vista which do not have an MPEG4 codec built in . Win 7 does have that codec built in. Therefore a lot of these sticks need Win7.

This other thread tells you what software to install to get your hands on that essential component.

Or you could buy coreavc for $10 if you had to. FFDshow which is free may do it too.

The 'giveaway' that the problem is a missing MPEG4 codec is if it will tune channels, you hear sound but have no picture

I can confirm that the first USB stick in the thread which says it has no mpeg4 support works on xp in case you're interested spongebob.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You must have picked the MPEG4 software up from somewhere so, maybe you installed DivX even

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

aerial, if you have tv3 analogue already you should be fine.

hey spongebob,

what type of aerial get for new samsung mpeg 4 tv, in order to pick up digital.

sorry if its a stupid question but im a bit dim when it comes to this sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Amik wrote: »
    I recieved a flyer yesterday about some electronics sale in a Galway hotel on the Nov 16th. I forget the name of it off the top of my head but the prices were crazy. 32" Sharp LCD for like 200 EUR or something. There was a 2 EUR admission to the event. Anyone know if it's a scam or something?

SCAM! SCAM!! SCAM!!! Check Consumer Issues Forum. Cant link from mobile.

Any indoor UHF aerial shoud do given proximity to Tonabrocky. eg this one in argos

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pete6296

Hi,
    Have 3 HD tv's, all with digital and mp4.
    I cannot seem to tune any of the recently broadcast channels.
    Is 90% coverage for the country or population, if the later i am sure i won't recieve it.
    Last tv is a 32 inch i got in lidl that is mp4 only 4 months ago.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Currys Samsungs will pick up Irish Digital TV ( DTT) ...which is live in Galway for ages..... where Hannspree probably won't. Make sure you are not sold a pup that will only work in England.

Not true, most of the new models do, certainly all the ones in DID, bought on e the other week, they are nice sets.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Any indoor UHF aerial shoud do given proximity to Tonabrocky. eg this one in argos

that's a VHF aerial...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Have 3 HD tv's, all with digital and mp4.
    I cannot seem to tune any of the recently broadcast channels.
    Is 90% coverage for the country or population, if the later i am sure i won't recieve it.
    Cheers
    Hmmm, they should just tune in for you no problem if you can pick up TV3 and TG4 analog with the same ariel, how sure are you about them being mpeg-4? Because I check Bargain Alerts every time theres a tv in Aldi or Lidl and people from the Terrestrial forum always say stay away, UK freeview only on Aldi/Lidl stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I think he is getting mixed up between mpeg4 and the fact that it plays mp4 files.

pete6296 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Cheers
    I never heard of a Lidl Digital TV that worked in Ireland seeing as they keep dumping UK standard stock here...try tuning them again seeing as RTE changed a few flags last week and if not bring it back to them for a refund.

Are you sure can you get a signal from Maghera or Castlebar out there first ??

that's a VHF aerial...
    It's both actually-see the loop on the back of it.
    It should work well within a kilometre or so of the tonabrocky tx but no more.

It should work well within a kilometre or so of the tonabrocky tx but no more.

Grand, I edited the link to a different aerial with a bigger loop on it for €13 instead of €7 , Castlelawn is maybe 2.5km from Tonabrocky and slap bang in front of one of the panels on that mast. See this aerial. This may not work on a ground floor in the docks but should work where one can see Tonabrocky from ones flat or house ( red light at night hint hint)

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5345595.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭harrier

Just bought a TV in their 1 day sale. Mind you, we had to get the deal price checked - I guess the salesperson's calculator wasn't working properly first time around.

Tonight I'll see if we can pick up the digital signal from Tonabroky. Live nearby but I don't think there's a line of sight from our loft.

This page is helpful:
    http://www.mpeg4ireland.com/dtt-muxes

Advertisement