Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tree of Life (winner of the Palme d'Or)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Right so.

That's a nice poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Pfft I've been to the tree of life and it looks nothing like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

The trailer for Terrence Malick's latest film, The Tree Of Life has been released. And it looks absolutely beautiful-

There's a real Fountain-y vibe off the trailer, which, for me, is a really good thing. Proper Oscar-bait too. And hopefully another excellent Brad Pitt performance, which are rare but really good when they do pop up. Malick's one of the greatest living directors, so I'll be looking out for this one when it hits cinemas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

No one makes more beautiful films to look at than TM. I will certainly see this at the cinema if its listed.

Wow.

That's beautiful. Thank you for sharing, I had not known about this previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,365 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Looks very decent, put that on my watchlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

what's the general plot?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Skerries wrote: »
    what's the general plot?
    It's Malick. He doesn't do plot - at all. But the story involves two brothers, loss of innocence, love, hope, beauty, the meaning of life, etc. No one really knows yet, but it will look nice.

I'm really looking forward to it though. Malick is always a must-see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It looks purty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

malick + pitt + penn should be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Looks like one to definitely see on the big screen.

His stuff always looks amazing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New poster. If you look very close you can see a dinosaur.

the-tree-of-life-movie-poster-02-374x600.jpg

New poster. If you look very close you can see a dinosaur.

the-tree-of-life-movie-poster-02-374x600.jpg

temp2619_thumb.jpg

I prefered the other poster

Which one? Of the tree or of the baby's foot?

What I don't like about this new one is that it appears all the shots are lifted from the trailer. However, the tree poster looks like some nasty photoshop job that has nothing to do with the film.

Which one? Of the tree or of the baby's foot?

What I don't like about this new one is that it appears all the shots are lifted from the trailer. However, the tree poster looks like some nasty photoshop job that has nothing to do with the film.

Tree one

http://www.twowaysthroughlife.com/

Cool interactive website for this film is now live.

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/screenwriter/2011/03/29/another-tree-of-life-bombshell/

It's looking like this film may not get released over here. The film is apparently very uncommercial and its UK distributor is trying to ditch it.

I think I'll cry if I don't get to see this in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Did we read the same article?, that link just said that the irish and uk distributors are planning to show the film ahead of time, and the us distributor wants to wait until after cannes. I got no hint of it being uncommercial or the uk distributor wanting to ditch it, quite the opposite actually

Sorry, I didn't read that article properly. I thought it contained a short summary of what's known to date but it doesn't. The following two links give a fuller picture:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/what_in_the_name_of_jessica_chastain_is_going_on_with_the_tree_of_life_and_/

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/archives/another_twist_in_the_tree_of_life_u.k._release_saga_as_legal_battle_kicks_o/

Basically when the UK distributor acquired the film they agreed to pay back the film's financiers regardless of how well it did. Then a couple of weeks ago they announced the UK release date was going to be BEFORE the world premiere at Cannes. By doing this they were screwing the US and European distributors who will lose publicity etc if it happens.

The speculation is that the UK distributor did this intentionally in order to default on their agreement, therefore losing their rights to release it. In other words, they saw the film, panicked, and decided to force a lawsuit which will allow them to drop it altogether. That lawsuit is now pending.

The Irish distributor that Clarke mentions in his blog only distributes on behalf of the UK one, so if the UK doesn't get it neither will we. And it could be quite some time before another distributor picks it up. The film will have been unveiled in Cannes by then, and if it is as uncommercial as has been rumoured, it may not get released theatrically in the UK/Ireland at all.

Unless the producers work something out with the UK distributor it isn't looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

The ironic thing is that after all the publicity this controversy will cause, the film probably will be quite commercial.

For a film that is supposed to be out in 4 days, things aren't looking good. The BBFC still hasn't received the film so they can classify it. Here's the latest from Variety:
    Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life" has become caught up in a legal dispute over its U.K. distribution, just before the film's long-awaited premiere in Cannes.
    Distrib Icon originally scheduled a May 4 bow. But it has canceled that plan in a dispute over distribution. Producers River Road Entertainment and Icon U.K. confirmed they are in arbitration, but neither would comment further on the case.

A London screening last summer of an early cut met with a negative reaction from Icon. Sales company Summit and River Road subsequently decided to launch "Tree" at Cannes in 2011.

Sources say under the original contract, Icon was only obliged to distribute the film if it was ready for U.K. release by May 4. But with Summit holding the film back for a world premiere in Cannes, Icon is arguing that its deal no longer holds.

If Icon ends its "Tree" deal, the most likely candidates to take over U.K. distribution are eOne, which has an output deal for Summit's own productions, and Optimum Releasing, which is distributing Malick's next untitled film.

In the meantime, according to Blu-ray.com a French distributor is claiming that are going to release the film on Blu-ray on July 15th. Seems to be a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,988 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The Tree Of Life has been shown at Cannes to mixed reviews, but Roger Ebert likes it. It sounds completely overblown, preposterous, ambitious, pretentious, indisciplined, as mad as a box of frogs - in other words, just what I want from a big screen epic.

About the UK & Ireland distribution situation: according to movies.ie the film will be distributed in Ireland by Eclipse, but their website doesn't have anything on it yet.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Eclipse distributes on behalf of Icon, who was supposed to be the UK distributor but as discussed above has pulled out. That means Eclipse is no longer distributing it here, either. So it may be some time before we get the film.

Tree of Life has won the Palme d'Or at Cannes.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118037426

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Meh...not enough teen angst :p (j/k)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

whoops i think the distributers made a bubu:D:D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,260 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Surely winning the Plame D'Or will at least earn it a limited release of some sort?

Yeah, we should definitely get it now. It's just a question of when.

• Advertisement

And we have a release date!

The film's US distributor Fox Searchlight has stepped in and picked up the UK and Irish distribution rights. Irish release date is July 8th!

Advertisement