Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do

Options
  • 04-11-2010 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭

A quick bit of history, my wife was best friends with her cousin and when our first child was born we asked her to be the childs godmother, she accepted.

A few years back and a few years after the christening my wife and I fell out with her and no longer have anything to do with her or her mother (my wifes aunt).

My daughter turned 7 yesterday and today I recieved a package for my daughter from this lady (wifes former friend), we get this every year and normally I just bin it or drop it into a charity shop.

This woman caused my wife and I alot of pain and she is not involved in my daughters life and never will be, so it bugs me that she thinks she can still send presents from Australia where she now lives.

I'm thinking of dropping the present into her mams house and asking her to pass on a message which is to stop sending presents.

We no longer consider her our childs godmother and our daughter thinks that another aunt is.

Any suggestions welcome, am I over reacting and should I just give her the present.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Milo Minderbinder

Relax, I know the woman hurt you but maybe let the child get the presents and form their own opinion of the person when they are old enough. Perhaps presents are being sent as an indirect peace offering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Relax, I know the woman hurt you but maybe let the child get the presents and form their own opinion of the person when they are old enough. Perhaps presents are being sent as an indirect peace offering.

Thanks for the feedback, definitely not a peace offering and not the type of person we would expose our child to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Send it back return to sender.
    Keep it up and maybe she will get the hint, please don't let it upset you both too much.
    Some people are just arseholes and you have to just remove that last bit of power they have over you and your emotions.
    Send it back return to sender and let her pay the postage when it arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

You ever heard of return to sender, address unknown, no such number no such soul. (Elvis presley)

Just put does not live here anymore and return it.

I was typing that before you posted thaedydal, took me ages on my ipod.

Just dropped it up to the post office and told them I was refusing the package.
    Thanks for the reply but as I read back over the thread my mind was made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

The main thing i think is don't let insignificant people bother you.
    Thay are not worth it. I don't see it as a peace offering myself.
    I see it as guilt clearance for the aunt

Well having returned it to sender, guess what I recieved in the post again this morning :rolleyes:

I'm actually less annoyed this time. I'm thinking of giving the present to a charity and writing a letter to tell her that this is what will happen to all future packages that she may send.
    Good idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Woddle wrote: »
    Well having returned it to sender, guess what I recieved in the post again this morning :rolleyes:

I'm actually less annoyed this time. I'm thinking of giving the present to a charity and writing a letter to tell her that this is what will happen to all future packages that she may send.
    Good idea?

I'd say just offer it to charity- at least it'l get some use there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Jinxi

As someone who has had a few crazys cut out of their life, I would advise dumping it or charity if you prefer.
    Any contact, including return to sender will just ake them feel empowered, and you responded.
    Ignoring is the best way. Now you will have to work on getting her out from under your skin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd say just return it again, she'll get the hint eventually. There's no point in letting her think you've accepted the gift.

• Advertisement
Advertisement