Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Napoli 20.00 hrs Channel 5

• 04-11-2010 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

The tightest group in the EL (every game a draw bar two) sees a resurgent *cough* home side take on the team they drew way to with a decent 2nd string side performance two weeks ago.

The line up according to an ITK is (my formation)

Reina
    Johnson-Carra-Skrtel-Konchesky
    Spearing-Poulsen
    Meireles----Shelvey--Jovanovic
    N'gog

Bench unknown but being at home one suspects the likes of Gerrard and Torres will be there. Soto pulled up with a strain during training so looks like playing no part at all.

Napoli have won and lost since that game with Ezequiel Iván Lavezzi scoring twice, Andrea Dossena turned out to be a decent attacking outlet in the first half of the last game, he'll be going up against Johnson. Hmmm. Both teams need to try for a win as only 3 points cover group H.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Blackpitts

The line up of Napoli will be the best possible

De Sanctis;
    Campagnaro, Cannavaro, Aronica;
    Maggio, Gargano, Pazienza, Dossena;
    Lavezzi, Hamsik;
    Cavani.

Lavezzi and Cavani are very fast strikers, careful at the counter-attack!
    Hamsik is a very talented midfielder, he is deadly in the penalty area.

Forza Napoli!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Hopefully Woy rests Gerrard and Torres for Sunday.

(I'm a United supporter :pac:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I hope we continue our very recent form and put in a good display. Napoli are only average and we should win - hopefully 2-0 ( no injuries please )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

While most rumours suggest Spearing-Poulsen in midfield, I've seen a couple with Lucas-Poulsen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LOL TV3/3e keep trying to say it'll be Liverpool's strongest team so people will watch.

Watch out for Ezequiel Lavezzi - playing some smashing stuff for Napoli this season.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Can't wait for the return of much loved Liverpool legend Andrea Dossena to Anfield. :D

He was a rubbish defender, but he got the 4th against Madrid and then the 4th against the Mancs. Hope he gets a good old clap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Can't wait for the return of much loved Liverpool legend Andrea Dossena to Anfield. :D

He was a rubbish defender, but he got the 4th against Madrid and then the 4th against the Mancs. Hope he gets a good old clap.

great goals too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Lads where the hell can I find Channel 5 on Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

Don't know.

Presume the match is on 3e though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭beardo81

Go to the Television forum on Boards there's a tutorial there, it's quite easy and only takes a minute

Here's the link; http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

mike65 wrote: »
    The tightest group in the EL (every game a draw bar two) sees a resurgent *cough* home side take on the team they drew way to with a decent 2nd string side performance two weeks ago.

The line up according to an ITK is (my formation)

Bench unknown but being at home one suspects the likes of Gerrard and Torres will be there. Soto pulled up with a strain during training so looks like playing no part at all.

Napoli have won and lost since that game with Ezequiel Iván Lavezzi scoring twice, Andrea Dossena turned out to be a decent attacking outlet in the first half of the last game, he'll be going up against Johnson. Hmmm. Both teams need to try for a win as only 3 points cover group H.
    Would the lineup not more likely be a kinda 4-3-3?
    Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Konchesky
    Meireles
    Spearing
    Poulsen
    ---Shelvey
    N'gog
    Jovanovic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

beardo81 wrote: »
    Go to the Television forum on Boards there's a tutorial there, it's quite easy and only takes a minute

Brilliant, thanks a million!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

eagle eye wrote: »
    Would the lineup not more likely be a kinda 4-3-3?
    Reina
    Johnson
    Carra
    Skrtel
    Konchesky
    Meireles
    Spearing
    Poulsen
    ---Shelvey
    N'gog
    Jovanovic

Shelvey is not a wide attacker, far from it. He is a talented young central midfielder who has a nice habit of breaking forward from midfield to join the attackers.

Given that Meireles has been used out wide a few times already this season, I would be thinking that the same will happen again tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Shelvey is a bit like gerrard, and I think he could do well out wide. He is a very good crosser

Shelvey is a bit like gerrard, and I think he could do well out wide. He is a very good crosser

Would be very surprised if an 18 yo lad who has been in CM for his short career to date was put out wide against Napoli, especially with an off form Johnson playing behind him.

He was often played wide right for charlton. It's not his best position but its an option while he is developing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Napoli looked a very ordinary side in the reverse fixture. Very ordinary. A performance like that and this should be relatively comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

beardo81 wrote: »

Thanks, i have a sky 'dodgy'box, works on those too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Four central midfielders in the team playing at home ? The guy is bark raving mad!

Edit - Its gets better ..... Subs: Hansen, Gerrard, Lucas, Wilson, Kelly, Skrtel, Eccleston

Where the is Pacheco ? :( We need another two central midfielders on the bench ? Seriously this is ridiculous.

Opr

opr wrote: »
    Four central midfielders in the team playing at home ? The guy is bark raving mad!

Opr

I don't think it would do Shelvey's career any harm to play in a number of different positions across the midfield. Especially as attacking midfielders often have to be accommodated wide. Zinedine Zidane played wide left for Madrid. Likewise Pavel Nedved. What lofty names I'm using!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Napoli looked a very ordinary side in the reverse fixture. Very ordinary. A performance like that and this should be relatively comfortable.

Then why wasn't it relatively comfortable in the last game?

I can see liverpool winning if n'gog comes on, not the greatest striker but gets into good positions, and so far this year, liverpool have looked better when he's played.

edit - Just noticed he is playing, will be interesting to see what he can do up front on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Pacheco not even on the bench, ffs.

opr wrote: »

Edit - Its gets better

Subs - Subs: Hansen, Gerrard, Lucas, Wilson, Kelly, Skrtel, Eccleston

Where the **** is Pacheco ? We need a another two central midfielders on the bench ? Seriously this is ridiculous.

Opr

Three defenders on the bench??

In fairness I don't think anyone regards Gerrard as a central midfielder as he can come off the bench and do the job in the support striker role. Eccleston is the bench cover for N'Gog and Lucas for CM.

But three defenders??? Kelly can play RB, LB and CB so he would be enough imho, maybe put one of Skrtel or Wilson in if two defenders are wanted on the bench, but three is overkill.

That is an absolute disgrace.

3 defenders - Kelly, Skrtel and Wilson on the bench.
    2 central midfielders - Gerrard, Lucas
    1 striker - Ecclestone
    1 gk - Hansen

Roy is a f*cking clown

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Then why wasn't it relatively comfortable in the last game?

I can see liverpool winning if n'gog comes on, not the greatest striker but gets into good positions, and so far this year, liverpool have looked better when he's played.

Largely inexperienced Liverpool team playing away from home. You'd imagine home advantage would be just that, an advantage. Likewise, will Napoli be less of a proposition away from home.

If his performances in training were good enough I'm sure he would be. Shelvey is starting so its not as if Hodgson is fearful of giving young players a chance.

I'm resigned to the fact that Pacheco will never get the chance he desereves at this club, it's a joke.

I just don't understand why he is not even giving an opportunity from the bench to probably the potentally best young player we've had in years.

He was far from the worst against Northampton, and he's not been seen since

If his performances in training were good enough I'm sure he would be. Shelvey is starting so its not as if Hodgson is fearful of giving young players a chance.

He's probably not the profile of player we need at this point of time. I suppose he's a bit like Van Der Vaart in that regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Is Roy making an example of Pacheco after the Northampton game? He hasn't been seen since iirc.

Largely inexperienced Liverpool team playing away from home. You'd imagine home advantage would be just that, an advantage. Likewise, will Napoli be less of a proposition away from home.
    Good point, never thought about it like that, strange there is no Torres on the bench though, or pacheco.

Well I for one hope liverpool win, they need as much confidence as possible going into the weekend so they can hopefully stiff chelsea.

One can dream :(

It's not about giving young players a chance it's about giving a certain type of player a chance, it's been like this for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

4 cms in the starting line up, 3 centre backs 2 centre mids and a centre forward on the bench. Does Roy have something against width?

I just don't understand why he is not even giving an opportunity from the bench to probably the potentally best young player we've had in years.

He was far from the worst against Northampton, and he's not been seen since

He was our best against northampton, not hard, but was the best for me. Dont get it, dont get it at all.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Is Roy making an example of Pacheco after the Northampton game? He hasn't been seen since iirc.

Well he was about the 10th worst player on the pitch for us that night

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Oh sweet god just in from work and seen the team. No Pacheco wtf? Disgraceful negative side
    Just take a hike Hodgson you buffoon.

Pacheco does'nt deserve this kind of treatment. He is an unbelieveable talent and i hope he put's in a transfer request as we are holding him back at this club.:mad:

Who is the CB pairing, I see skrtel in here is on the team, and the bench?

Mister men wrote: »
    Pacheco does'nt deserve this kind of treatment. He is an unbelieveable talent and i hope he put's in a transfer request as we are holding him back at this club.:mad:
    Makes you wonder, what good is this new Borini fellow to provide the talent, if Hodgson won't recognise it when it's there in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Well he was about the 10th worst player on the pitch for us that night

I agree, just trying to figure out what our great manager is up to.

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    I agree, just trying to figure out what our great manager is up to.

I have not started yet, you will just have to make do with Roy for a bit longer. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 692 ✭✭✭gleep

Pacheco's being rested 'cos he's going to feature against Chelsea on Sunday with Cole out.

*loooooooooooooooooool*:pac:

I think there's a bit of a hissy fit being thrown here by some regarding Pacheco. I think if he's performing well enough in training he'd be getting that chance.

Dirkaldinho in the studio on 5. I flicked it on just there and he was talking about being lucky a horse didnt fall on him or something :eek: or he would have been out for a very long time.

I think there's a bit of a hissy fit being thrown here by some regarding Pacheco. I think if he's performing well enough in training he'd be getting that chance.
    Roy has not been logical in anything he has done this season

Yes, thats a good point. Still, he's dropped Shelvey in the deep end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭baldbear

He's like a lost lamb!Will he last until xmas as manager?

Good to see Dirk the destroyer in studio.The big smiley head on him.

Spearing has got more game time than him. Say's it all about where the club is headed under Hodgson. Just want him out pronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

I'd assume Pacheco isn't doing it in training, although I did expect him to at least be on the subs bench. Still think the team selected should beat Napoli.

I'm going for a 2-1 win.

Isn't resting torres and gerrard ahead of the chelsea game logical?

• Advertisement
Advertisement