Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I pick up BBC/ITV etc from Europe?

• 04-11-2010 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm currently living in Slovakia, and would love to be able to pick up bbc/itv/channel 4 etc etc.

From what I've researched so far it seems I can get these from the Astra sat?

Now I was using dishpointer.com to check what kinda of sat I'd need, and in what direction to point it. However, i'm not sure which Astra thingy (you can see i'm not very good at this:D) I need to recieve? There's 1A, 1E, 2E etc etc?

That sites also telling me I'd only need a 50 - 60cm dish, I've read elsewhere that I'd need something in the region of 90cm - what's correct?

TIA :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You are way outside the reception area for Astra 2D. You need a huge dish. See here http://www.astra2d.com/slovakia.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Shzm wrote: »
    see i'm not very good at this:D) I need to recieve? There's 1A, 1E, 2E etc etc?

Some of your confused dish size information may be because you are looking at the wrong sat positions - you would need to point at 2B, 2D and 2A @ 28E

and as fat-tony says you would need a pretty big dish in Slovakia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

SO big a dish that it would need an elevation motor jiggling the dish up and down 0.25 degree a day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Haha ok right so, I'll stick to the good ol interwebs for my TV needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 493 ✭✭denis1501

You'll have to ignore some of the previous posters who are all Astra 2D crazy!!
    ITV is alive and well on Astra2B north, as are Channel 4 and 4+1.
    ITV channels are also on 2B South. Five, Fiver and Five USA are on 2B south.
    Five HD and channel 4HD are on 2A south, ITV HD is on 2B south.
    You need an 80cm dish, a skybox and a UK FTV card as the channels are scrambled..
    regards
    D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

The BBC channels are not available other than on 2D. Commercial channels, including the premium sports channels from SKY are available on a variety of beams to those who will pay subscriptions and don't mind "bending" SKY's terms and conditions. I presumed the OP was looking for FTA stuff from the BBC and ITV etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Vitajte. Eh I dont know how long you wish to live here, but I gave up on chasing astra2D. As the lads above have said , anything up to 90cm will do for itv1,ch4 and Five (hd also) plus the other trash sky claim as entertainment. Rant over.
    Anyway worse, Astra are going to start replacing the satellites that currently have a widebeam in next 2 yrs so who know what will be left after that "improvement" on 28E.
    Meanwhile enjoy whats out there as is.

Advertisement