Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb 7Mb DSL or Magnet 8.1Mb DSL?

• 04-11-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Looking to get broadband in my new house and because of the location(not even that remote, reckon it's within 2 miles of exchange and houses 2 minutes away have loads more options) will have to do it through phoneline, none of the newer broadband lines available, i.e. Eircom NGB, Smart, Magnet 1:1, UPC

I was told by Magnet I could get BB of only upto 8.1 meg through my phone line for €40 p/m, this would require separate line rental from Eircom. So it'd cost me total €65. Unlimited dl and 12:1 contention. I know this is a resell of Eircom broadband, not sure exactly what that means, will it be better than Eircom reliability wise?

I could go with Digiweb and they include 7meg BB, the line rental and free calls for €60 p/m. 100GB limit, not sure of the contention, think it could be 48:1 ?

The obvious advantage of Magnet is the unlimited dl and lower contention, but I think 100 gigs is plenty and I haven't heard about anyone having issues with Digiweb DSL as far as slowing down in peak times etc.

The advantage of Digiweb is doing the whole thing including line rental, with calls thrown in. Call's aren't important to me, but if they're included in the price I'm sure I'll find a way of using them!

Anyone any advice on Magnet dsl vs. Digiweb dsl?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

10mb is €40 per month with Smart, including line rental: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/index.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Oracle wrote: »
    10mb is €40 per month with Smart, including line rental: http://www.smarttelecom.ie/index.aspx
    babo9 wrote: »
    none of the newer broadband lines available, i.e. Eircom NGB, Smart, Magnet 1:1, UPC

Unfortunately not an option :( would be with them in a heartbeat if I could!

Sorry mis-read your post, yeah you need to be on a LLU exchange to get that from Smart. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice. I'd say Digiweb would be better. Have you considered Digiweb Wireless? It would cost less, from €35 per month, and you don't need a phoneline: http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

Sorry mis-read your post, yeah you need to be on a LLU exchange to get that from Smart. I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advice. I'd say Digiweb would be better. Have you considered Digiweb Wireless? It would cost less, from €35 per month, and you don't need a phoneline: http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/metro/index.html

Yup, checked WiMax too and it's not available and the Digiweb women on the phone said it'd only be DSL available for me! Just checked on the Eircom site and their estimation of what my line is capable of is 5120! (Assuming my neibhours house is the same as mine)
    So I don't know would I be better off sticking to 3Mb broadband...

Mmm... I'm not sure about that. Have you checked for Metro availability yourself, in your area, on the Digiweb Metro web site? The sales person may just want to sell the more expensive DSL product.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Not true. Because eircom gets most of profit from DSL.

Digiweb prefer people on Metro :)

Metro : Infrastructure 99% Digiweb
    DSL: Infrastructure Mostly Eircom.

Mmm... I'm not sure about that. Have you checked for Metro availability yourself, in your area, on the Digiweb Metro web site? The sales person may just want to sell the more expensive DSL product.

http://www.digiweb.ie/home/broadband/

Yup I did, although it only allows me to select "Cork City" as the closest area which has Metro.
    Just rang Digiweb there to double check, first off when I mentioned Frankfield in Cork he was like great area for it, then I mentioned the actual park and he was like hmmm no we're tried it for 15 homes there and they just can't get it! So I really do think I'm limited to bog standard ADSL.
    Which means
    Vodafone,
    Eircom,
    Magnet 8.1 mb (Eircom resell)
    or Digiweb

I've had terrible experiences with Vodafone in the past and I've heard nothing but bad about Eircom!
    I'm also eligible for Irish Broadband's 4Mb Breeze but the setup fees are big and it costs almost the same as dsl+line rental! Also haven't heard good things about Irish BB!

So really I'm down to Magnet 8.1Mb vs Digiweb 7Mb + Calls!

Does anyone actually have Magnet 8.1 meg?? It's not what they offer as standard and it can't be found via their website, so sure Magnet are great but it doesn't mean this particular offering will be great? Anyone know how this "reselling" Eircom broadband actually works? How do they lower contention and have unlimited cap when Eircom don't provide that from the start!?

watty wrote: »
    Not true. Because eircom gets most of profit from DSL.

Digiweb prefer people on Metro :)

Metro : Infrastructure 99% Digiweb
    DSL: Infrastructure Mostly Eircom.

So you're saying the Digiweb sales person, would prefer to sell a product priced at €35 per month, rather than one priced at €55 per month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes

How much profit did Perlico make before Vodafone bought them?
    How much profit did Smart make before Digiweb bought the wreckage?
    Why did BT divest of all retail DSL to Vodafone?
    Why does Sky not sell BB in Ireland and offer it free to Subscribers like they do in UK?
    Why has ... Many more examples...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

So you're saying the Digiweb sales person, would prefer to sell a product priced at €35 per month, rather than one priced at €55 per month?

Don't forget, with the DSL product they are just reselling an Eircom bitstream product, so a large chunk of what you pay goes to Eircom and not Digiweb. Whereas they get 100% of what they charge for the Metro BB. Hence why they are able to charge less for more bandwidth.

• Advertisement

Knasher wrote: »
    Don't forget, with the DSL product they are just reselling an Eircom bitstream product.

How does this reselling work? I've seen numerous ppl mention it and no explanation.
    How can say Magnet offer 8.1meg unlimited with 12:1 contention and Eircom can only offer the same with a 40gb cap or whatever and a 48:1 contention?
    Why wouldn't Eircom just offer the 8.1meg unlimited with 12:1 contention in the first place!?
    Or is it a case that Magnet rents the lines at a high cost and then provides their own broadband through the Eircom lines!?

And can anyone advice on the original question :P Magnet DSL v Digiweb DSL :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

im getting digiweb dsl at the moment switching from eircom.

i ordered on the 26th and it still hasnt changed.. doing my nut in now...
    they say it takes 10-15 days..
    after that i can comment on it.
    as you say 100Gb is loads. i think the same. (eircom only offer 30 or 50Gb on their 7mb pacakge)
    i did not however check magnet.. for dsl i could only find digiweb...
    either way im hoping its better than eircom + its same line so shud be the same thing either way...

kenyard wrote: »
    im getting digiweb dsl at the moment switching from eircom.

i ordered on the 26th and it still hasnt changed.. doing my nut in now...
    they say it takes 10-15 days..
    after that i can comment on it.
    as you say 100Gb is loads. i think the same. (eircom only offer 30 or 50Gb on their 7mb pacakge)
    i did not however check magnet.. for dsl i could only find digiweb...
    either way im hoping its better than eircom + its same line so shud be the same thing either way...

Cheers, I'm still waiting on Digiweb to get back to me on a quote for setup, Eircom told me it's free to reactivate my line but they might change there tune via a 3rd party...

Hope it doesn't take too long cos need to order Sky too and they'll charge me extra if we don't have a phone line!

took 15 days to come in. have it since 2 days ago.. just checking in here now.
    as i said im on dsl.
    currently downloading at 770kb/s and web is working fine also.
    everything is sweet as a nut so far.
    they have an online traffic monitor also so you can see how much you have used. i downloaded 25Gb in lses than 24hrs no problem first day :D
    never did i struggle with speeds at anytime of day although i guess there arent many heavy users in tipperary anyway.
    with everyone switching to ngb/fiber and all that i guess the dsl will lose a lot of the heavy traffic users anyway...
    my 2 cents. good so far. :)
    also i checked my traffic thing online and it doesnt say i have a limit even though im supposed to have a cap.. im gonna go over it maybe 3-5Gb this month see what happens. if nothing ill go with what i can get anyway. RS account has a 150Gb limit so i guess that will be my limiter :)

beats eircoms new 10,30 and 50Gb limits hands down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

dosent eircom have a 250gb limit package available now aswell though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

BArra wrote: »

thats NGB. its not available in our areas. we are stuck with the 3 smaller options or digiweb or apparently magnet (which i wasnt aware of)

and the 3 small eircom packages have crap caps.

Advertisement