Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need XP Home Edition Disk

• 04-11-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Someone gave me a old dell laptop to repair. I need to re-install windows from scratch, however, it came with no setup disks. It has a valid "XP Home Edition" sticker / Product Key.

I only have an XP professional disk and I need to get an XP Home Edition disk.

I could download it from dodgey sources, but I'd prefer not to.
    Can I get one from microsoft ireland for a nominal fee?

What are my options?

(It would be great if I could get one with SP3 built in)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i aint really too sure i would have downloaded it but i could only assume you could buy one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Try installing from your professional disc if it is a retail one and use the product key on the laptopn....see if it works....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

The License Key for Home Edition will not work with an XP Professional CD. I tried on Tues - it wouldn't accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

i dont know if its legal to post links, so i wont until clarified, but i have nearly all versions of windows on my rapidshare account uploaded.

None of them have been modified in anyway. they are direct copies of the discs.

all you need is a licence key, which you have.

alternatively, you could easily find a version that needs a crack, download it, use your legit key, and discard the crack / patch.

just make sure its an un-modified version.
    they are usually labelled "un-touched"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭eirman

I think you'd be breaking boards rules my openly posting links links even though I have a legit product key.

According to binsearch there is an SP3 version about 400 days old. I could retrieve it with a giganews account.

I loaded up the professional version but it would not accept the "home" license.
    As far as I know, I need the OEM home version, rather than the retail home version, for the key to work.

And would you believe it ... someone pmailed me looking for 50 quid for disk !!!

I'll continue hunting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The Home product key will only work for Home, not Professional.

Legally, I don't know how you'll get your hands on a disk but it's far easier to just download a copy. The product key will make it legit and you'll have no problems updating, etc.

Advertisement