Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone EVER receive the full advertised download speed?

• 04-11-2010 3:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I understand that the broadband DSL speeds which we see advertised by the service providers cannot always be acheived.

I understand that many things can affect a customer's speed such as distance from exchange, number of people sharing line, quality of line, time of day and more.

But...Does anyone here EVER achieve the full advertised download speed.

I just wonder as I'm starting to think that these advertised speeds are simply mythical numbers that can never be proved one way or the other. Certainly if a customer complains that they can't get full speed, the ISP can always give a reason that cannot be disproved.

Just a thought. Any comments?
    Max

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I do, but I'm on cable not DSL, so it's a different kettle of fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

At home I have a 3Mb Line with Vodafone, and I get 3Mb all the time.
    In the office I have a 12Mb line with Eircom and I get 12mb all the time.
    In parents, they have a line that is rated at 17mb from Magnet and it gets 17Mb all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Most DSL users will NOT get the "up to" speed, on average, slightly less than 1/2 speed. For 8Mbps DSL at extreme of distance just under 1Mbps. Close to exchange about 7.6MBps. If there is sufficient backhaul, then there is no variation of speed.

Most Mobile users will NOT get the "up to" speed, but 1/7 to 1/20th depending on how fast they claim (the faster they claim it makes no difference to majority. Speed will vary erratically no matter location. See why Mobile is at least x8 worse or more than Fixed Wireless http://www.techtir.ie/comms/fixed-wireless-broadband-better and why 21Mbps Mobile is worse than DSL http://www.techtir.ie/comms/mobile-vs-fixed

Cable and Metro users can get full speed off peak, no matter distance. At peak times the speed can drop, but nothing like DSL average, maybe down to 90%.

Why the "average" user on DSL 8Mbps is never more than 3Mbps
    http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janetfinance

watty wrote: »
    Most DSL users will NOT get the "up to" speed, on average, slightly less than 1/2 speed. For 8Mbps DSL at extreme of distance just under 1Mbps. Close to exchange about 7.6MBps. If there is sufficient backhaul, then there is no variation of speed.

Most Mobile users will NOT get the "up to" speed, but 1/7 to 1/20th depending on how fast they claim (the faster they claim it makes no difference to majority. Speed will vary erratically no matter location. See why Mobile is at least x8 worse or more than Fixed Wireless http://www.techtir.ie/comms/fixed-wireless-broadband-better and why 21Mbps Mobile is worse than DSL http://www.techtir.ie/comms/mobile-vs-fixed

Cable and Metro users can get full speed off peak, no matter distance. At peak times the speed can drop, but nothing like DSL average, maybe down to 90%.

Why the "average" user on DSL 8Mbps is never more than 3Mbps
    http://www.techtir.ie/comms/dsl-limits

My dad is on 8M and usually gets about 6 which is ok. I'm on 02 now but it isnt great so Im moving to UPC probably. Will I get the advertised speeds there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

How are users finding Wimax wireless? On a 3mb package?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm on a 7.6mbit package and tend to get around 6mbit, though late at night I seem to be able to get full speed (less contention of course)

I'm happy with it as is, though somewhat concerned by other posters reporting slower router-sync speeds when exchange switches to "NGB".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

When i was with Smart yes I consistently got the advertised speeds even at peak times and sometimes more (late at night on rare occasions a file might download at 20mbit for a minute or two)

The real question you should ask is does anyone receive the full advertised speeds from Eircom in your area

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MFZ

maximus02 wrote: »

Usually all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

When i was with Smart yes I consistently got the advertised speeds even at peak times and sometimes more (late at night on rare occasions a file might download at 20mbit for a minute or two)

The real question you should ask is does anyone receive the full advertised speeds from Eircom in your area

appropriate to length of line...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

parents house

1>eircom 7.6mb. download speed 768kb/s
    2>upc 30mb. download speed 3.8mb/s

my house in college

1>upc 30mb. download speed 3.8mb/s

never had a problem with any of the 3 lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I do, but I'm on cable not DSL, so it's a different kettle of fish.

I do but am on adsl2 not cable.
    10mb on Smart get 1.4mb peak or otherwise,sometimes spikes to 2.5mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

maximus02 wrote: »

Yes. I'm on Eircom 7Mb ADSL and I always sync at 7168/384kb/s. I think
    this puts me in a small minority.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

On UTV 7MB, I get 6.5MB approx
    I fully understand the physical limitations of ADSL tech so it doesn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade

getting the proper speedtest results for 20mb, i requested it to be dropped as the 24mb was unstable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I have Digiweb wireless and get full download and upload speeds all the time. Shame about the 80gig limit.

Once UPC come along I'm changing over because of this limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭lensman

I pay for a 30Mb connection on UPC cable,..my tested download speed is listed below,..quite good infact as it's better than the advertised speed,.. tested speed is 40.68Mb but I know from real everyday downloading my speeds range between 25Mb to 28Mbps,..thats on wireless.
    1022708920.png

Advertisement