Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Tides and Risk of Localised Flooding for Galway City for coming days

Options
  • 04-11-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭

fyi

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/041110_03.html
    04 November 2010
    Galway City Council is issuing an advisory to the public regarding the possibility of localised flooding in the Spanish Arch area of the city over the next 5 to 6 days.
    Galway City Council advises that due to an expected combination of Spring Tides, high winds and low pressure from Friday, 5th to Tuesday, 9th November some localised flooding could occur in the Spanish Arch, Spanish Parade, Quay Street and Flood Street area of the city.
    Crews from the Transport & Infrastructure Section will be on call over the weekend.
    Galway City Council has put a safety barrier in place along the edge of the quay at Fishmarket, Spanish Arch. The public is advised to have regard for their safety in the area, particularly at high tide.

The High Tides will be as follows for the coming days:
    5th Nov., Friday AM03:44Friday PM16:03 6th Nov., Saturday AM04:26Saturday PM16:46 7thNov., Sunday AM05:09Sunday PM17:31

It's very sweet of the council to put this sort of thing on their website, but I'm not sure how many Josephine-Citizens would actually see it there. Pity they can't get innovative and just post it here themselves ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

JustMary wrote: »
    It's very sweet of the council to put this sort of thing on their website, but I'm not sure how many Josephine-Citizens would actually see it there. Pity they can't get innovative and just post it here themselves ;)

hear hear!

I'm surprised they put it on their website rather than sending a guy onto the streets with a bell.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm surprised they put it on their website rather than sending a guy onto the streets with a bell.
    Hearye, hearye: Ye old town crier proclaimed crappy by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

I fairness to them it was the 1st item on Galway Bay FM news at 1PM and every one since, John Richards is talking about it as I type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

God help us, the Roma prostitutes will have to ply their trade from inflatable dinghies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,943 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Storm 10 wrote: »
    I fairness to them it was the 1st item on Galway Bay FM news at 1PM and every one since, John Richards is talking about it as I type

Based on reactions on boards in the past, I'm thinking that GBFM isn't the radio-station-of-choice for people who hang out in the arch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Storm 10 wrote: »

I only ever listen to GBFM by accident. Once I realise what's going on I scramble to change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was passing through Claregalway on Tuesday and I see the very spot they ripped up to prevent flooding is already flooding at a quicker rate than anywhere else. Well done money wasting bunch of useless ***** in CC planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Based on reactions on boards in the past, I'm thinking that GBFM isn't the radio-station-of-choice for people who hang out in the arch.

The high tides are predicted during the late afternoon, or early morning so they probably will affect the general public more so than "people who hang out in the arch", whoever they are!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

fyi

http://www.galwaycity.ie/GeneralNews/041110_03.html

The internet version of Joe Duffy.

• Advertisement

DSCN6958.JPG

I don't think it's his jurisdiction

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

the-simpsons-s7e16-20090309153948_145x82.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Robbo wrote: »
    Hearye, hearye: Ye old town crier proclaimed crappy by all.

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE..:D

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    the-simpsons-s7e16-20090309153948_145x82.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

ScumLord wrote: »
    I was passing through Claregalway on Tuesday and I see the very spot they ripped up to prevent flooding is already flooding at a quicker rate than anywhere else. Well done money wasting bunch of useless ***** in CC planning.

funny you should say that - we were driving by Cashelmara this afternoon - they had erected an Island in the middle of this busy road not so long ago although the road is known to flood when it rains heavy. Before, you could kind of veer around the deep part of the large puddles, but now with their brainwave of a nonsensical island you either have to wear wellies so you don't get wet inside your car whilst driving through the deep puddle or damage your car by driving onto the island. :D:D another brilliant brainwave.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

another brilliant brainwave.
    I really think at this stage some one in there is taking the piss and gets a great laugh out of doing these stupid things.
    It can't just be a series of reoccurring coincidences that they always, every time make the worst possible move or decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GBFM !. I have this vision of Galway sinking on a Sunday whilst GBFM are playing pre recorded music - probably "Why does it always rain on me "

It is too early to assess the risk because so much depends on the wind strength & direction. It would need a storm surge where strong winds force the sea into Galway bay & the funnel effect makes the level rise.

Keep an eye out here for the latest:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079823

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The one worrying thing after seeing this storm system on the News tonight is the winds will be from the South which is the worst possible direction for Galway and will be hitting in the Evening with high water after 5pm, so we will have forced high water well before the official time and if its really bad will go well over the height for Sundays tide level of 18 feet.

As discodog said keep a watch on the weather forum here as it will have all the latest updates

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Discodog wrote: »
    It would need a storm surge where strong winds force the sea into Galway bay & the funnel effect makes the level rise.

It does to go any further than the Spanish Arch,

The other deadly sign is low pressure sub 980 reading over Galway as the surge is pushed into the Bay with a Spring Tide and a Flooded Corrib.

Monday looks like one of those days ( more so than Sunday I think) in the long range forecasts. :(

Rtavn841.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

That suggests more of a Southwest wind which would be more likely to cause problems. A due Southerly is only going to be pushing a relatively small amount of water & the Burren would provide some screening.

The massive floods in the 50's in the East of the UK were caused by a storm surge forcing water down from the wide North sea & into the narrow English channel. A due West wind could do this but I suspect that it would need to be 60 mph plus.

It would be a bit like a tsunami in that Spiddal would get it first then Barna & Galway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048725

the council now has their news section serving RSS feeds.. so all concerned citizens have to do is subscribe to the feed and the news will appear magically in their RSS feed inbox... any applause for the council or would that just be too uncool?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If the council would like to discuss the forum as news outlet portal please contact the moderators.
    Alas it goes against the poster wall policy we currently have.

Anyway the RSS feed does the job nicely imo.
    The Advertiser does a good job too.

The storm is rather fast moving and will only be around on sunday late afternoon and evening. Twill be gone during the night. So the corpo have revised and fine tuned their warning ( see below). Fair play.

The county council have not bothered advising anybody that the South Connemara coast road could be cut off in Spiddal and Furbo at the times mentioned below. That would require a detour via Moycullen. :(

Someone was killed in Spiddal (in 1995 I think) because the coast road was open during a flooding event like this and his car was washed away in it. So far nobody has been killed in the city.
    06 November 2010
    Galway City Council has advised that due to an expected combination of Spring Tides, high winds and low pressure from today to Tuesday, 9th November some localised flooding may occur in areas of the city.
    The worst of the weekend's weather is forecast to coincide with High Tide on Sunday afternoon at 17:31. As well as locations in the Spanish Arch, Docks and Raven Terrace areas of the City Centre, flooding may also occur along the Promenade in Salthill.
    It may be necessary to close the Promenade to traffic from Dr Colohan Road (at Seapoint) to Grattan Road (at South Park) on Sunday afternoon and evening for a number of hours around High Tide. The Council further advises motorists not to park in the Car Park at Toft Park on the Promenade as it is also liable to flood.

Which will make a right hames of the traffic in Galway I should think.

Plan on completing any activities involving driving near the coast early in the day and try to be home by around 4pm latest.

If you are really desperate you can listen to Galway Bay FM news on the hour if planning on moving around.

Anyone up for heading down the Arch and watching this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think I'll mosey down for a shufti, aye.
    Dunno what time yet though - was thinking 4pm at Salthill tomorrow eve. It'll be kind of dark in the wee hours of the morning...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

Anyone up for heading down the Arch and watching this?
    I'm going to put an armband on my bottle of bucky so it won't sink in the great flood of 2010.

I'm going to put an armband on my bottle of bucky so it won't sink in the great flood of 2010.

And a dog leash lest it float away from you, Bucky Plaza will be a safe zone for drinking tomorrow, no guards around :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

ya, love the area around Nimmo's wall during a storm, raw nature is great. tmrw evening should be wild :eek:

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Will the museum be open at that hour, I think it has some good views of the surrounding area?

• Advertisement
Advertisement