Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

so, i'm off the drink for November...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    giving up drink is easy, giving up drugs on the other hand is not.
    There are plenty of drugs I could easily do without for the rest of life, and some with which I’d find it more difficult to end the love affair. Drink sits firmly in the latter category, in no small part due to the fact that it’s the focal point of every social even in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭thebigbiffo

I'm not sure what your meaning is there friend, but if you think going 'off the drink' for November impresses any one around here, heck, you are very much mistaken.

If you want a fcuking drink have it!!!

what the fcuk are you afraid of.?

That you can't stop?

Get a fcuking grip and live in the current century man.

That kind of ****e went out back in the 80s.

http://www.ncpii.ie//

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

ooops, sorry didn't realise you had those problems.

My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I'm not sure what your meaning is there friend, but if you think going 'off the drink' for November impresses any one around here, heck, you are very much mistaken.

If you want a fcuking drink have it!!!

what the fcuk are you afraid of.?

That you can't stop?

Get a fcuking grip and live in the current century man.

That kind of ****e went out back in the 80s.

You've done a survey have you?

Completely over the top response, tbh. You might want to settle down and change your pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The OPs facebook updates for the month are going to be so much fun.

"Off the drink a few days now. Not a bother on me"
    "Off to the gym now"
    "Just back from a 10k run"
    "Had a great night last night and I didn't need drink for it either"

Fcuk off out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I am surprised at the negative responses here. Whats to criticise?

OP I am on the dry for the month as well.
    I have been doing it for the past couple of years. I dont miss it much generally, & feel better/fitter by month end.

"Off to the gym now"

Fcuk off out of it.

Facebook?

Fcuk off out of it.

"Off to the gym now"

Fcuk off out of it.

your FB updates (judging by your impression of what people actually put on FB) must make some dire reading...

if you're one of these people who insists on letting everyone know what you are 'doing' then i'll let you in on a secret...nobody gives a f'uck

davyjose wrote: »
    You've done a survey have you?

Completely over the top response, tbh. You might want to settle down and change your pants.

In your opinion.

The OP put out the post for the www to admire and respond.

I am responding as invited,now, not as an admirer and 'aaah sure fair play to you' kind of way, but a robust critical response, bringing in the Oooirish attitude to drink to the fore and pointing out to the OP, that this kind of behaviour went out in the last century.

Hopefully today's irish citizen can have a drink without turning it into a 'session' and can have an adult attitude to alcohol, like most of the civilised world.

Or do we still crave the title'The Drunken Irish' who don't know when to stop, and have to have laws to prevent us indulging 7/24/365.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

My birthday is in 2 weeks, puts an end to any notion of staying off the beer for november. Annoying trying to get a gang together and one or two people pull that excuse though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,081 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"off the drink" "on the dry"

only in f**ing Ireland...

In your opinion.

I am responding as invited,now, not as an admirer and 'aaah sure fair play to you' kind of way, but a robust critical response, bringing in the Oooirish attitude to drink to the fore and pointing out to the OP, that this kind of behaviour went out in the last century.

Hopefully today's irish citizen can have a drink without turning it into a 'session' and can have an adult attitude to alcohol, like most of the civilised world.

Or do we still crave the title'The Drunken Irish' who don't know when to stop, and have to have laws to prevent us indulging 7/24/365.

first of all, you havent a clue what my drinking habits are apart from my OP stating i'm a 'very regular drinker' - but heh, i'll answer your, eh,...'questions'...just to point out how misguided, bitter and twisted your rants are...

i put the thread up because this is AH (which should be enough) and i wanted to see if many people on here give up the drink for Nov - cos a good few people i personally know do.

critical of what? you're not critical of my post, you are critical of what you ASSUME i posted this for. they have a term for that - it's called stupidity...

i drink very regularly, as i said, but i dont go on sessions every time i drink - maybe once a week i'll drink a shed load. in your 'civilised world', is light discussion not allowed?

and to finish - you have a very low opinion of the irish. maybe you could rev up and get the f'uck out of the country if you dont like us so much (that's assuming you live in ireland, i sincerely, very sincerely hope you dont)...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

"off the drink" "on the dry"

only in f**ing Ireland...
    At least we're still f***ing! :D
    (No brewers droop!)

unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to share that attitude. Foreign people I know who've visited Ireland are genuinely taken aback by our drinking culture.

If the OP wants to clean up for a few weeks, why not? At least he's being honest.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Interesting how most people use the excuse of money to give up booze. I do it too. But this Novemember I'm giving up for health reasons, both mental and physical. It really ruins my sleeping patterns which has obvious knock on affects.
    Of course I'm dirt poor of late too so for me it's an added incentive.

In your opinion.
    And mine.
    I didn't see it as some sort of vainglorious boast, and it seems you're the only one of the few who's construed it as such.

davyjose wrote: »
    unfortunately, a lot of people don't seem to share that attitude. Foreign people I know who've visited Ireland are genuinely taken aback by our drinking culture.

If the OP wants to clean up for a few weeks, why not? At least he's being honest.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to take a responsible attitude to drink, like the continentals do .?

Why the need to 'clean up' as you put it.

Why announce on the www that you are not drinking for November.

Kinda sums up the immature attitude to drink we have in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

waaayyyyyyy heeeeyyyyyyyyyyy

da dum tssssshhhh

Sounds drunk already, way to go OP!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

your FB updates (judging by your impression of what people actually put on FB) must make some dire reading...

if you're one of these people who insists on letting everyone know what you are 'doing' then i'll let you in on a secret...nobody gives a f'uck

You miss my point sir. I do not post facebook updates but judging by the fact that the OP felt the need to us all this god know what his facebook friends will have to put up with.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    And mine.

I didn't see it as some sort of vainglorious boast, and it seems you're the only one of the few who's construed it as such.

You see that's the 'www ' you can get all sorts of opinions on that beetch ,so you can.;)

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to take a responsible attitude to drink, like the continentals do .?

Why the need to 'clean up' as you put it.

Why announce on the www that you are not drinking for November.

Kinda sums up the immature attitude to drink we have in this country.

i do consider myself to have a responsibile attitude to drink, maybe you could quote where i gave the impression i was irresponsible?

get down off your high horse mate with your holier than thou attitude - it sucks.

can your obviously narrow mind grasp the fact that the social scene revolves around pubs in ireland? that 'giving up the drink' doesnt mean you're a raging alco that cant leave the pub? i gave up the booze because my regular few pints are starting to hit me too hard in the pocket at a time of year when pressie for the kids need buying, parties start getting organised and january looms around the corner and it seemed like a nice little way to save a few quid and really, properly enjoy the christmas blow-out.

so your argument is invalid with your 'ohhh i'm so continental' b'ull****. you're continental (or aspire to be?)....please stick a glass of burgandy in one hand and some cheese in the other and type with your nose, it might slow down the torrent of vitriolic crap you seem so determined to ruin this discussion with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

The problem isn't that you might drink too much or too often...it's that you find it hard to stop. If you find that anyway difficult, you have the beginnings of a problem imo

You miss my point sir. I do not post facebook updates but judging by the fact that the OP felt the need to us all this god know what his facebook friends will have to put up with.

:confused:

and you know that the OP updates his FB with useless crap like that? jesus how did you do that?

:confused:

just face up to it mate: it was a lame f'uckin joke right from the start

i do consider myself to have a responsibile attitude to drink, maybe you could quote where i gave the impression i was irresponsible?

get down off your high horse mate with your holier than thou attitude - it sucks.

can your obviously narrow mind grasp the fact that the social scene revolves around pubs in ireland? that 'giving up the drink' doesnt mean you're a raging alco that cant leave the pub? i gave up the booze because my regular few pints are starting to hit me too hard in the pocket at a time of year when pressie for the kids need buying, parties start getting organised and january looms around the corner and it seemed like a nice little way to save a few quid and really, properly enjoy the christmas blow-out.

so your argument is invalid with your 'ohhh i'm so continental' b'ull****. you're continental (or aspire to be?)....please stick a glass of burgandy in one hand and some cheese in the other and type with your nose, it might slow down the torrent of vitriolic crap you seem so determined to ruin this discussion with.
    :eek:

Biff..steady up there man, why didn't you say all that in the first place?

You see you are endorsing my stance, without of course realising it.

You imply that Xmas is a blow out, and yet you criticise me for highlighting that you need to stay 'dry' for November to build up for that.

Why not drink in moderation?

Bottle or two here or there, be able to say stop when nessesary.

Is that so difficult.

You don't seem to be able to handle someone who tells you, you are off the wall with that kind of attitude.

Have you not got the balls to say that you will drink at your own pace and not be dragged along by a crowd.

sad... very sad.

You see that's the 'www ' you can get all sorts of opinions on that beetch ,so you can.;)
    Which will generally find a more receptive audience if they're not expressed in the form of insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Alfred123

not a pint ordered and theyre fightin already. Tis the weather, isn't it ?

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Which will generally find a more receptive audience if they're not expressed in the form of insults.

And what insults are you referring to Sir?

:eek:

Biff..steady up there man, why didn't you say all that in the first place?

You see you are endorsing my stance, without of course realising it.

You imply that Xmas is a blow out, and yet you criticise me for highlighting that you need to stay 'dry' for November to build up for that.

Why not drink in moderation?

Bottle or two here or there, be able to say stop when nessesary.

Is that so difficult.

You don't seem to be able to handle someone who tells you, you are off the wall with that kind of attitude.

Have you not got the balls to say that you will drink at your own pace and not be dragged along by a crowd.

sad... very sad.

no, i didnt because i was relying on people having a discussion, not jumping in with their own ill thought out judgements..

i do drink in (a little on the heavy side of) moderation, but it's expensive to even do that these days.

what f'cukin crowd?! again, you dont know my habits! i'm not a teenager out the back with a flagon and a couple of girls - i'm a grown adult who's decided that the money on my couple of pints or bottle of wine 6 evenings a week would be better pocketed for the month. at the same time, it's an interesting experiment for me - i dont have an alcohol problem but when you drink regularly you cant help but ask yourself if you need it, hence the other reason.

but jesus h christ man, you're telling me to steady up. that's precious!

And what insults are you referring to Sir?
    I'm not talking about sinlge-word slurs, I'm referring to a general condescending tone and a level of vitriol completely disproportionate to the genial tone of the opening post.

• Advertisement

no, i didnt because i was relying on people having a discussion, not jumping in with their own ill thought out judgements..

i do drink in (a little on the heavy side of) moderation, but it's expensive to even do that these days.

what f'cukin crowd?! again, you dont know my habits! i'm not a teenager out the back with a flagon and a couple of girls - i'm a grown adult who's decided that the money on my couple of pints or bottle of wine 6 evenings a week would be better pocketed for the month. at the same time, it's an interesting experiment for me - i dont have an alcohol problem but when you drink regularly you cant help but ask yourself if you need it, hence the other reason.

but jesus h christ man, you're telling me to steady up. that's precious!

Hey.. getting a bit of the shakes man ...and it's only the 4th.!

Sorry if your purpose in posting this was to garner a great response of 'good man yourself'... 'fair play... shure Bertie does it'.... ' nice one...pal... you will be good for Xmas and January'

You won't get that from me... go deal with it.

If i can paraphrase the whole thing.

Nobody gives a fck

Advertisement