Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Set back for Dublin cross-city cycle track

• 04-11-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Residents in East Wall have lobbied to prevent DCC voting on building a bridge across Tolka:

http://naoise.ie/?p=776

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A Bridge Too Far?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

I cycle this area quite a bit. I'm sure this is a very important piece of infrastructure overall, but I would prefer if the road surface could be maintained (i.e. fill the odd crater) or the current paths towards clontarf be swept for glass every couple of months. A recent job carried out on East Wall Rd. pulled up one side of the road, and the reinstatement was appalling. I'm considering changing my 28s for some sort of hover craft.

The most dangerous aspect for cycling here at the moment is the road quality and not the traffic. Has anyone cycled Ossory Road lately (where this new path would take you)? It's quite a narrow, bumpy, windy/up-down stretch of road which wouldn't immediately appeal to you as a cycle route. I think the route overall has potential but there are a lot of issues with it.

Also I can see why residents wouldn't want another bridge built in lower aspect joining the opposite side of the canal to Ossory Road. I'm not sure of the details of the objections put forward, but if I lived there (even as a cyclist) I would want to make sure that there wouldn't be the potential for increased anti-social behaviour - as such the design quality of the path/bridge joining Sam Beckett to Ossory would want to surpass the quality of anything I've seen in Dublin thus far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

@Haleakala: The scheme did include significant improvements to the cycling surface- or would, if it got the go-ahead. While the bridge isn't essential to the scheme (and it's way less superfluous than the two bridges on the Grand Canal that are tenuously associated with this project), I do wonder what the future holds for the rest of it if the bridge has been shelved...

I don't know overall whether this is a pity or not. I'm disappointed because it's yet another example of the tail wagging the dog in local politics - local busybodies need to find more deserving beneficiaries of their, um, energies - but it may be a blessing in disguise for the scheme in general, i.e. now the locals can be blamed for the delays and any shortcomings arising from the compromises now required (when in fact the scheme itself is quite flawed).

@Doctor Bob - not sure if the Local Street, Local People point was for me, or all readers, but I suppose my post was really trying to say I understand both sides of the issue (i.e. building some much needed cycle infrastructure, vs. doing it right). My frustration is that if the bridge is built, it doesn't do much if the intervening corridors are rubbish (just did East Wall rd again, and as bad as it was, it's now much worse than a month ago).

If they are using the Canal to get from the SB Bridge to Clontarf, Ossory rd is probably the best route, without having to cross main arteries. The question is whether what was being proposed was sufficiently well planned (going to email Cllr Muiri seeing as he blogged about it, minutes won't be on DCCouncil for another month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

No, not you at all! Apologies- it was a dig at the busybody locals who seem to have the wrong end of the stick entirely and may now be jeopardising a scheme of some merit, on their very own doorsteps. If the DoT/City Council offered me a good quality route from my doorstep into town I'd grab it with both hands. You really have to question the locals' thought process... (Perhaps a local resident might come on and explain? As I understand it, they're upset due to a preceived lack of consultation, whereas I'm aware that the scheme was widely publicised, and I believe considerable consultation was undertaken. What do they want- house calls?)

Re the detail of the scheme- the bridge is part of DCC's wider Rathmines to Fairview route (funded by the DoT), and the route does include quite a bit of resurfacing on the 'intervening corridors'. I do still have reservations about much of the design, but it's mainly junction-related rather than the links in between. Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    No, not you at all! Apologies- it was a dig at the busybody locals who seem to have the wrong end of the stick entirely and may now be jeopardising a scheme of some merit, on their very own doorsteps. If the DoT/City Council offered me a good quality route from my doorstep into town I'd grab it with both hands. You really have to question the locals' thought process... (Perhaps a local resident might come on and explain? As I understand it, they're upset due to a preceived lack of consultation, whereas I'm aware that the scheme was widely publicised, and I believe considerable consultation was undertaken. What do they want- house calls?)

Re the detail of the scheme- the bridge is part of DCC's wider Rathmines to Fairview route (funded by the DoT), and the route does include quite a bit of resurfacing on the 'intervening corridors'. I do still have reservations about much of the design, but it's mainly junction-related rather than the links in between. Hope that helps!

I queried Dublin city Councillors on the vote and I have had quite a good email response - even from the Lord Mayor, which is not too shabby.

One view put across is that DCC pulled the proposal to build the bridge from the agenda because they felt it was not going to get the support it needed to pass. Although I support the bridge, this seems totally undemocratic.

On the other hand it was suggested that some local Councillors from the North Inner City bent the arms of DCC before it got to vote, as they feared it may pass - again totally undemocratic.

I remember hearing that residents from West Rd. objected to the plans for the track on that road because it would result in car parking spaces being removed. DCC demonstrated at the time that most of the cars parked on the street were commuters working in East Point Business Park.

Apart from providing the residents with a bike path to the city, the bridge would provide a safe link to the small park at the end of Alfie Byrne Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Haleakala wrote: »
    I cycle this area quite a bit. I'm sure this is a very important piece of infrastructure overall, but I would prefer if the road surface could be maintained (i.e. fill the odd crater) or the current paths towards clontarf be swept for glass every couple of months. A recent job carried out on East Wall Rd. pulled up one side of the road, and the reinstatement was appalling. I'm considering changing my 28s for some sort of hover craft.

The most dangerous aspect for cycling here at the moment is the road quality and not the traffic. Has anyone cycled Ossory Road lately (where this new path would take you)? It's quite a narrow, bumpy, windy/up-down stretch of road which wouldn't immediately appeal to you as a cycle route. I think the route overall has potential but there are a lot of issues with it.

Also I can see why residents wouldn't want another bridge built in lower aspect joining the opposite side of the canal to Ossory Road. I'm not sure of the details of the objections put forward, but if I lived there (even as a cyclist) I would want to make sure that there wouldn't be the potential for increased anti-social behaviour - as such the design quality of the path/bridge joining Sam Beckett to Ossory would want to surpass the quality of anything I've seen in Dublin thus far.

I agree, I cycle the East Wall road every day, it is without doubt the worst surfaced road I have ever cycled on. It's very dangerous. It's so bad at the moment I assume the surface is temporary and they will finish it properly when the road is finished but the fact I can't see any roadwork people anymore leads me to believe that this is it finished.

is there anyone I can ring about this?

De Bhál wrote: »
    I agree, I cycle the East Wall road every day, it is without doubt the worst surfaced road I have ever cycled on. It's very dangerous. It's so bad at the moment I assume the surface is temporary and they will finish it properly when the road is finished but the fact I can't see any roadwork people anymore leads me to believe that this is it finished.

is there anyone I can ring about this?

I don't know who to ring unfortunately. Sorry.

Do you mind me asking your general final destination in the city - reason I ask is that I found a safer route after trying the East Wall Rd. a few times.

justo wrote: »

Do you mind me asking your general final destination in the city - reason I ask is that I found a safer route after trying the East Wall Rd. a few times.

Dublin 4

I cross the East Link bridge and cut up through Ringsend

De Bhál wrote: »
    Dublin 4

I cross the East Link bridge and cut up through Ringsend

I end up in D4 too - It's less direct but safer and I dont have to deal with the surface on East Wall Rd of the bridge itself which is a red zone for cyclists:

Anyway my route is:

Alfie Byrne Rd -
    Right on East Wall Rd
    Left on West Rd. R and under the bridge onto Crosbies Yard and Ossary Rd.
    Left onto North Strand
    Left at 5 Lamps onto Seville place
    Continue onto Guild St and Sam Beckett bridge
    Cut tru Grand Canal Plaza
    Left on Pearse st/ Ringsend rd.
    etc. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Residents in East Wall have lobbied to prevent DCC voting on building a bridge across Tolka:

http://naoise.ie/?p=776

****ing NIMBYs.

I end up in D4 too - It's less direct but safer and I dont have to deal with the surface on East Wall Rd of the bridge itself which is a red zone for cyclists:

Anyway my route is:

Alfie Byrne Rd -
    Right on East Wall Rd
    Left on West Rd. R and under the bridge onto Crosbies Yard and Ossary Rd.
    Left onto North Strand
    Left at 5 Lamps onto Seville place
    Continue onto Guild St and Sam Beckett bridge
    Cut tru Grand Canal Plaza
    Left on Pearse st/ Ringsend rd.
    etc. :)

Thanks
    I might have a look at that.

@DocBob - I may have been a tad paranoid! Pretty much agree with you - nimbyism when it comes to incinerators I get (oops, don't want to start one on that!), but a cycle track is pretty harmless one would think.

Anyway - I presume this is a minor blip and the scheme will get go ahead. If anything, the proposed improvements would appear to be a positive thing for locals/workers in the area.

As for East Wall Rd. - it certainly serves to wake you up in the morning - you need your wits about you - a car left-hooked me this morning, he was so close I actually tapped the rear window stay (at about 25km/h!). Thank Christ I didn't run into holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Dublin City Council Road Maintenance Section 222 2255

On the general topic of cycle tracks etc., for what it's worth the Council now has a Cycling Officer. His name is Ciaran Fallon and his number is 222 6258.

Advertisement