Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cables question

Options
  • 04-11-2010 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭

we are getting pretty crappy broadband speeds over our wireless connection but when we plug in with ethernet directly to the router we get the speeds we expect

there is only one telephone connection in the hosue and thats downstairs

we would like to wire it so the modem is upstairs somewhere with ethernet cables going into each of our rooms

so im guessing we would need one long line of telephone cable and then 4 longish lines of ethernet cable

when i look at online stores there seems to be two types cat5 and cat6 which one should i get or does it matter?

do you know of any irish stores online or in limerick that sell these things at a reasonable price?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

Network cables are definatly your best bet, if you run a standard telephone cable it would build up noise on the line and potentially reduce overall throughput,

however i'd reccommend changing your wifi channel first you may find your getting localised interferance

johnciall wrote: »
    Network cables are definatly your best bet, if you run a standard telephone cable it would build up noise on the line and potentially reduce overall throughput,

however i'd reccommend changing your wifi channel first you may find your getting localised interferance

thanks for the reply

any idea how id change my wifi channel never heard of that before?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

it'll be an option on the wifi settings, what type of router do you have? and do you know how to access the Configuration?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If the wifi settings don't work out for you and you decide to go the cabling route then either cat5e or cat6 would work. Cat6 is better as it can support faster speeds (greater than 1Gb) but its harder to work with as you have to be more careful with sharp bends. Cat5e should be more than perfect as you really don't need cat6 at the moment, it would just be for future proofing.

As johnciall suggested you are much better off leaving your modem near your DSL master socket and running either one ethernet cable to a switch in a more convenient position or all the ethernet cables down to the modem.

• Advertisement

gonna try the wifi route right now so i can hopefully watch the boxing

im guessing i access my routers settings by finding my routers internal ip address? 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.1 dont seem to be working anyone know what it is for a mgnet broadband telsey router?

ah turns out magnet routers are locked down so any changes like the wifi channel require a call to tech support

hardwired it is

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

You could try "network power plugs" too. They work in pairs. http://www.ehow.com/how_4662693_use-ethernet-over-power-outlets.html

One of them plugs into the wall beside your router and is tethered to your router with a short network lead.

The other plug is in the room/area where you want to use your PC/laptop. Tether again with a network cable and Voila! Dont ask me how, but the Internet signal is transmitted over the electrical wiring by the plugs talking to each other.

Only thing is, they are quite expensive, data rates are much less than advertised and they burn out over time.

Network cabling is the only way to go. CAT5 is adequate for your needs. The amount of people I have come across moaning about their all singing, all dancing, all expensive 300Mbps Wireless N setup being slow. Lets face it, WIFI is sh1t unless you are very lucky!

Advertisement