Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Players you hate to love...

• 04-11-2010 4:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

Following on for the "players you love to hate" thread.

What about that player from your rival, who despite you wanting to hate them because of who they play for, you can't stop watching them play because they are a joy to watch?

For example. A.D.P.! I HATE Juve, honestly, despise them but I love watching Alex play, he's amazing. Can produce a moment of sheer genius from nothing and completely change a game, a pleasure to watch and even now while people start to write him off he is a game winner.

Javier Zanetti.
    I really, really, really dislike Inter, I hate their president, I hate their current coach, I hate most of their players but I have a massive soft spot for Zanetti. Absolute legend, gentleman and amazing professional. Will be weird when he eventually retires.

Francesco Totti.
    I don't hate Roma per-say, but I don't like them either. My major problem with Totti is that he's got a nasty side and it should make me dislike him immensely but for some reason I love watching him play. One of the most under rated players of the last 10 years on a world scale, amazingly gifted, probably the most technically gifted Italian player since Baggio and probably the best Italian player of the last decade, always gives his everything for his team and even though he could have left (more than once) when Roma were doing crap over the years he refused transfer offer after transfer offer. His genius has won Roma a league title, 2 super copa's and a copa italia. He has also won the Capocannonieri and Golden shoe on along the way and it could be easily argued that he is Roma's greatest player of all time.

So who is your player you hate to love?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Gary Neville. I should hate him. But he's just the ultimate wind up merchant and nearly every non-united fan falls for his bait every single time, it's hilarious to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cristiano Ronaldo!

As a man, i can't imagine i'd ever like him. He doesn't wanna defend, he's a diver, he's a playboy, he's just about the poster-boy for everything bad about football nowadays.........

...... but football-wise, the man is a genius! In my opinion, there's himself and Messi at the top of World Football and nobody else can touch them, no matter how good a year the likes of Snidjer has had or a bad year the likes of Kaka has had, nobody comes close to these 2 guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Torres... He's beautiful.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Casillas.

He's too good. The Clasico will be much easier for Barcelona when he retires...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

The Drog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Paul Scholes. Massive respect for him and still a joy to watch, one of the most technically gifted and consistent performers I've ever seen.

Edit: Cant tackle for shite etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Rooney/Tevez

Immense players who fight tooth and nail pretty much every game. Admirable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Filippo Inzaghi

I dont like players that teams have to carry and he's constantly ruining build up play by constantly trying to spring the offside trap but he is a player that only needs that one chance to score, a lethal finisher.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Drogba is the first name that came to mind for me. The guy is immensely talented.

Another Chelsea player from the past would have been Zola. He was incredible, and I hated it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭VW 1

+1 on Inzaghi, in the thread started about him someone brought up the quote from Ferguson that he was born offside, one of the frustrating things about him but when he gets it right he is beautiful to watch.

Also Torres for me, shouldnt like him because he plays for Liverpool but cant help but watch a game he is involved in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

You cannot help but admire the amount of goals Gary Twigg scores

also I thought Jay O'Shea was class when he played against us before going to Birmingham last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Di Canio, Zola, RVP, C.Ronaldo, Adam Johnson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Totti, Ronaldo, Drogba, Fabregas, A Johnson, Di Canio, Carroll, Balotelli, Scholes, Le Tissier to name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

The guy can frustrate the sh1t out of me at times but he is so talented its unreal

Robinho

Same reason as above

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Also Ruud van Nistelrooy and Kevin Hunt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 319 ✭✭jamsieboy86

Del Piero and Inzaghi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

El Hadji Diouf. Always despised the guy before he joined Rovers and wasn't happy when he signed up but he just gives 110% every game and has been our best player this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Mark Van Bommel and Nigel De Jong. In a few years time i think everyone will watch back and laugh at the things they were getting away with over the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pauleta wrote: »
    Mark Van Bommel and Nigel De Jong. In a few years time i think everyone will watch back and laugh at the things they were getting away with over the summer.

Hehehe kung-fu kick to the chest hehehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Pauleta wrote: »

Yeah i'm sure Ben Arfa and Alonso will be rofling at the sight of a guy trying to maim them.

Granted the Ben Arfa tackle was more bad luck then malice, but the assault on Alonso has no justification or defense for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭talla10

Drogba. Ronaldo, Torres, Bale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭Peteemax

Paul Dickov and Craig Bellamy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Thierry Henry and Dimitar Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thierry Henry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Park Ji Sung! The only United player i can't help but like! Tries so God damn hard!

And the Drog.. Immense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Kevin Kilbane... I really should hate him with a passion but somethig about him i just love. Also does anyone have a pic of the time his shorts fell down round his ankles when he was with Sunderland?

Edit; Just noticed that sounds like a weird request, i'm not looking for pics of Kilbane in his underpants, its just a funny photo, honestly :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Kevin Hunt

Was just a class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Arshavin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Pepe Reina - plays for a club I despise but impossible to hate. Class act.

Drogba - absolute animal striker and criminally underrated. the ultimate pantomime villain.

Bellamy - even his face is horrible but can't help liking the defiant little b*stard.

Pippo Inzaghi - looks like a little rat but can't help but smile at his goal celebrations.

Robbie Savage - hero.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Frank Lampard, Xabi Alonso, Pepe Reina, Craig Bellamy, Nigel de Jong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Craig Bellamy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Henry when he was as Arsenal.
    He was a gift to the premier league, a pleasure to watch at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Bergkamp. Hated him coz he wasn't at United, but boy was he a joy to watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Park Ji Sung! The only United player i can't help but like! Tries so God damn hard!

And the Drog.. Immense!

Hah, your vote for Park seems more like a sympathy vote!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Robin van Persie...

...the wh*re

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

Luis Garcia when he was playing for liverpool. One of the most infuriating players to watch but yet was one of liverpools most important players in 2005 and could spring a moment of genius out of nowhere in matches where he had done nothing but lose the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

Steven Gerrard, Roy Keane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Thierry Henry - Nothing to do with that handball, but his time in the EPL. He was just immense, you knew any ball in behind he was onto, you knew he could construct a move that led to a goal, you knew he could score a screamer if you left him shoot, you knewhe could take on half your back line and score you knew you had to hate him for all his quality and ability but I just couldnt, what a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Torres ,when he is on his game , he's unreal ,fantastic player ,just playing for the wrong team (at the moment) :D

Henry .One of the best ever ,a joy to watch..

Tevez :eek: ....should hate him but his style of play and level of commitent on the field make it hard . He's a great player ,on fire this season .

Advertisement