Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Problems with space remaining on 500Gb internal hard drive - help!

• 04-11-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

DELL/Vista x64bit.

One of my internal drives contains one folder. If I mouse over it, it says Size:447Gb.

If I mouse over the drive itself it says, Total Size: 465Gb. Space Free: 94.5Mb!!

How can this be?

I would have expected to have about 18Gb remaining.

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭akamossie

The rest of the size taken for recovery System maybe??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Thanks for the reply.

I doin't think so. The C:drive is seperate from this drive and another 500Gb drive that I have.

I use them for editing digital image files.

The odd thing is that it said 3Gb remaining yesterday, so I dumped a folder containing about 15Gb and then defraged the drive. Therefore, I was expecting about 18Gb free. But, it still said 3Gb (I've now used that up minus the 95Mb I mentioned above)

Very odd! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I doin't think so. The C:drive is seperate from this drive and another 500Gb drive that I have.

I use them for editing digital image files.

The odd thing is that it said 3Gb remaining yesterday, so I dumped a folder containing about 15Gb and then defraged the drive. Therefore, I was expecting about 18Gb free. But, it still said 3Gb (I've now used that up minus the 95Mb I mentioned above)

Very odd! :(

If you're using the windows defrag program and there is less than 15% free it may not perform correctly. It sounds like the thing is fragged to hell and its only counting usable space. When you installed the drive did you alter the smallest segment value(cant remember the proper term) from default?

I didn't alter anything.

This was a custom DELL job. It has four drives (C: plus three others)

Bizzarely, the other 500Gb drive says that its total space is only 416Gb, 49Gb less that the problem one claims to have.

I'm very, very confused! :mad:

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

General approach I use is to do a search of all files on the drive to see which ones are taking up the space... You can do this using windows search, use the advanced part to set the file size to "greater than 40000KBs" (i.e. greater than 40Mbs... And see what shows up...

A more user friendly way of doing this is to use a program called TreeSize...
    http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/index.shtml

• Advertisement

Thanks.

I can't delete any of the files, so I'm not sure what I'd do even if I find some of them are taking up more space than they should.

These drives fill annually and are then emptied onto external HDs.

I guess that four years of messing with them has screwed up their capacities.

I'll give that freeware a go.

At the end of the year, when I clear them out, would formatting them make a difference?

Thanks.

D.

Update:

Just ran TreeSize. It's giving me exactly the same space remaining numbers as Vista.

D.

Advertisement