Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urban Trail Series

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

50 squids seems a bit steep...

what distances are they? theres a lack of information on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭NeedsTraining

5k and 10k options on all 3 races.
    Detail of each race is on the individual pages, click on the park name.

€50 is not bad for 3 10k races.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'd pay €30 for all three. Would love to do it, €50 is a bit steep though. The one in Marlay would be a nice way to get the legs moving after Barcelona.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

5k and 10k options on all 3 races.
    Detail of each race is on the individual pages, click on the park name.

€50 is not bad for 3 10k races.
    I'll stick with my €10 BHAA races .. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

New one for the winter

www.urbantrailsireland.com

Anyone know what the St. Anne's trails are like?

Yep a bit too expensive, given that I inevitably know something would come up close to race day that I couldn't make all 3.

St Anne's is fine, they'll run a good deal of the race around the perimeter of the Park I imagine, maybe some hilly bits around the pond (near the causeway road to Dollymount)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

shels4ever wrote: »
    I'll stick with my €10 BHAA races .. :)

I'll stick with my €5 F4L races ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Ouch. Anyone want to join me for a run in Shangannagh Park in Shankill? Urban Eco route, distance exactly something between 5k and 10k. I'll only charge you 19 euro. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

€19 to run with "Krusty is God" ain't bad. Let me think about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

christeb wrote: »
    €19 to run with "Krusty is God" ain't bad. Let me think about it...
    Hmm, good slogan for the t-shirts. Can I use that? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I might have to pay €7 for a race in a couple of week.. Might make a trip down to one of your €5 race....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Hmm, good slogan for the t-shirts. Can I use that? :)
    does the €19 include the T-shirt KC if so im in !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

And I'm happy enough with €23 for 4 races in Killarney myself. I just wished all races were as reasonable as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭ezikel

Just letting everyone know that Inov8 have come on board as sponsor of our prizes for the Urban Trail Series.

There will be a mixture of prizes from their footwear range, packs and bladders, debri-gaiters, hats and performance socks.

Prizes are not just for the winners, there will be numerous spot prizes on offer also.

Hope to see everyone at St. Annes for a relatively snow free trail race!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Burgman

Anyone know what is the point of the timing chip if all the race distances are approximate? Surely an unnecessary cost?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

Burgman wrote: »
    Anyone know what is the point of the timing chip if all the race distances are approximate? Surely an unnecessary cost?

"Damned if you do & Damned if you don't!" comes to mind on this :eek:

We are advising up front that the route will not be exact distances as the park's super may require some variation on the planned route depending on prevailing ground conditions which can vary in accordance with the weather.

The Race in St Anne's is planned around a lap that is 4.0 km currently (as measured by a garmin).

As Ultraman can prob confirm, accurate measuring to AAI acceptable and certified standards on a trail type course is not really possible with the general Jones Counter methods so we are just being up front about what we can guarantee.

The chip timing will give accurate lap and overall times plus can be used to give a time per km when route is finalised with the Parks which is of more relavance if folk are looking for that sorta stuff.

The route is not designed round anyone setting uberspeed records and series is intended to get folk out to enjoy the underutilised trails at whatever pace is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

Excuseless wrote: »
    The Race in St Anne's is planned around a lap that is 4.0 km currently (as measured by a garmin).

As Ultraman can prob confirm, accurate measuring to AAI acceptable and certified standards on a trail type course is not really possible with the general Jones Counter methods so we are just being up front about what we can guarantee.

Races which are not run 100% on tarmac/pavement/concrete do not require a certified measurement. They are equivalent to cross country races where all distances are approximate.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Dunebuggy

Burgman wrote: »

Is this a series question ? Have you ever raced anyone else in a race and wondered what their time was, splits of two laps, got your scores text to you, avoids manual erroneous timing etc ...

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

Dunebuggy wrote: »
    Is this a series question ? Have you ever raced anyone else in a race and wondered what their time was, splits of two laps, got your scores text to you, avoids manual erroneous timing etc ...

Dunno if Burgman is serious or not but I agree with what he says. I think that it is an unnecessary cost. The only way I can see that they could be justified is if the organisers use the exact same route in each park each year they run the races. I don't think that this will happen so comparing your time from year to year maybe pointless. The races are not exact standard distances - "distances are approximate" according to their website and...

"Exact distance will be dependant on inspection of prevailing ground conditions with park supervisor in the days immediately prior to the race but will be as close to above distances as we can make them"

I don't have an issue with this and am looking forward to them. I can't make the St Anne's race but intend to run in Tymon & Marlay Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

It depends. Most races i do, each event is an estimated distance. However, it's what the chips tells you in terms of splits/laps and position.

Very interesting to compare my times to the winners and where I'm losing time. Who's doing neg splits etc.

Ironically, it's the distance I'm least interested in!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Can we register on the day, and if so is there a late entry fee, I wont know till the day if I can do it!

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Can we register on the day, and if so is there a late entry fee, I wont know till the day if I can do it!

Possible between 8.30 and 9.30 on sat morning if you cannot do before then - easier on us if you can do on-line.

Info from the Website

On-line Reg closes at 18.00 on Friday 17th December!
    Reg on the day will be subject to a €5 supplement (All of this will be donated to Focus Ireland)
    Race will go ahead based on current ground conditions and weather forecast
    In the unlikely event of extremely inclement weather we may have to postpone to an alternative date.
    IF this happens we will offer refunds if you cannot make the alternative date

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Anyone else run this? Really nice route taking in all the best parts of st annes. the short climb near the end were you had to use tree routes to pull yourself up was a real killer.

Whats the story with the Boot Camp warm up? pre run aerobics and chanting is a good laugh but strange and i would have rather they skipped this and started on time. great event i'd recomend it even if it is expensive.

guapos wrote: »
    Anyone else run this? Really nice route taking in all the best parts of st annes. the short climb near the end were you had to use tree routes to pull yourself up was a real killer.

Whats the story with the Boot Camp warm up? pre run aerobics and chanting is a good laugh but strange and i would have rather they skipped this and started on time. great event i'd recomend it even if it is expensive.

Event was well recieved for sure by those that turned up guapos - many were texting that morning to find out if it was on or not :eek:!
    The smiling faces on the Action Photography site tell it all

The feedback we have got indicates that the Bootcamp warm up was well received and apparently will be on the TV so you might spot yourself doing yer "stuff":D.
    The race was 10 or so mins late starting but the access gate to the park not being open when we arrived to set-up at 6.30 was the main cause of this not Bootcamp :)

The numbers overall were a bit disappointing so we have reduced the cost for the remaining races and have added on a repeat of the St Anne's Race on 9th April to give a gauge as to "progress" through the series tho not sure that Mulled Wine and Mince pies will be in such demand next time round :).
    We expect to see a lot of New Year Resolution folk out in 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

Good stuff on the price reduction. id say the low numbers were to do with christmas parties, a few of my friends pulled out because of hangovers. Also its great to have so many options to run on Saturdays, i hate missing a night out cause a run is on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Excuseless wrote: »
    tho not sure that Mulled Wine and Mince pies will be in such demand next time round :)
    Not sure about the rest of ye, but I'd be quite happy to get mince pies in April. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 murphy93

Interesting events and may suit a particular market, maybe not those that race every other weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Signed up for this series last week as have 4 or 5 others from work. Looking forward to it. €42 for the 3 races including tee shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Have signed up for this, looking forward to it. I got the running bug in the middle of last year and have done a number of road races since, but Feb 5th will be my first trail race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

Is that the one in Tymon park?? If so I'm in!

Now the question is do I sign up for all 3 and get a snazzy t-shirt or do I sign up as they come!!??:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Is that the one in Tymon park?? If so I'm in!

Now the question is do I sign up for all 3 and get a snazzy t-shirt or do I sign up as they come!!??:D

Yes Tymon Pk on Feb 5th

Advertisement