Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NewScientist subscription

• 04-11-2010 4:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

Anyone here has NewScientist subscription?

Someone from NewScientist contacted me asking for permission to use one of my flickr images (of an Owl) on their website on their story, well, about Owls. I have enjoyed reading NewScientist in the past, so I said okay (naively) and I see that their website is a pay site! I just want to see if they are using the picture and if they are crediting me for the work like they agreed to!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

positron wrote: »
    Anyone here has NewScientist subscription?

Someone from NewScientist contacted me asking for permission to use one of my flickr images (of an Owl) on their website on their story, well, about Owls. I have enjoyed reading NewScientist in the past, so I said okay (naively) and I see that their website is a pay site! I just want to see if they are using the picture and if they are crediting me for the work like they agreed to!

Thanks in advance!

They should have sent you a couple of copies of the mag at the very least. I'd mail them and ask for access to the site to see your image, or for paper copies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Or have a look at it in Easons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭St. Leibowitz

There's a story about how Diwali (Indian festival of light) is bad for India's owls, as shamens use their body parts to make potions. Has a photo of an owl behind a chain link fence, with a credit to <name removed>.

Not sure of the link will work for non subs, but Google "Diwali is a dark time for India's owls".

If this isn't yours, let's know your name and I try to search for your photo credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

That's me!! Thanks a million for confirming this!! I'll chance my arm and ask NewScientist guy to send me a screen shot (or a free subscription if taking a screenshot is too hard ;) ). Thanks again!

PS: Actually I can see it - looks free! Link to page: <Link Removed>

Cool. Nice photo. Where'd you take it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Nice one!

Cool. Nice photo. Where'd you take it ?

A zoo in India. They had about half a dozen owls in a large enclosure. They looked well compared to the appalling condition rest of the animals were in, lions and tigers in 10' x 20' cages etc.

Very good. I think the "prisoner" effect provided by the out of focus fence in the foreground added to the atmosphere needed for the story. Also, I like that they used a photo of an owl shot in India for a story on Indian owls. I'd like to think that this was planned and not coincidental.

Thanks. I had geotag'ed the photo on flickr, so I would say that's how he got to this particular owl picture.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chunangadan/385981577/

Only minor detail though - is that the particular part of India that this photo is from - doesn't really celebrate Festival of Lights / Diwali :D, but yes fair play to them for being scientific and careful on picking their photos!

Advertisement