Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genuine Poor in Galway

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

I hope this is in the correct thread.

I have been thinking of doing up some "seasonal" food hampers and distributing them to two or three GENUINE families who could do with it this year. Thankfully I don't know any offhand myself. However I do not want to give to some of the "organisations" as, call me a cynic, sometimes I feel the people that avail of these places have no regard for what they get . I'm talking about genuine families that are genuine down on their luck this year.

does anyone know of where I could locate some genuine cases.

sorry mods if in wrong forum :eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I have been thinking of doing up some "seasonal" food hampers and distributing them to two or three GENUINE families who could do with it this year. Thankfully I don't know any offhand myself. However I do not want to give to some of the "organisations" as, call me a cynic, sometimes I feel the people that avail of these places have no regard for what they get . I'm talking about genuine families that are genuine down on their luck this year.

Hmm, that's a hard one as agencies are often the ones who have the best information about these families. Perhaps you could ask in one of the Hospitals, in case there are families burdened by illness? Honestly some of the agencies are the best way, particularly if you are just donating food (that way you know that your donation is feeding a person, as opposed to money being used in a way that you'd disapprove of). Perhaps people can recommend agencies that they have closer contact with on here, and give a more personal connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's a good cause to want to share with the less fortunate families although I'm not really sure how you'd go about finding them unless you work with an organisation like SVP or similar.

You could check with the homeless hostels about handing hampers in there?

Since I'm fairly sure no-one wouldn't want to be named in this thread I ask people to PM names instead to OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

I dont mean to dampen your spirit here but as nice as you think it would be to give a family something personally there are a few things to consider if you do not know who you want to give to.

You need to be aware that a stranger handing a family a hamper can have some issues regarding the recievers esteem and self respect.

The organisations provide a service, not a charity.
    You should call these organisations and find out for yourself what you can do and who that will benefit.

These are professional organisations and they have knowledge and experience you should take advantage of in order to ensure what ever you give is the right thing and going to the right people.

But is's very nice to see someone so conscious of helping others, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

SVP down at Oznam House is your best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭tootired

How about the women and childrens shelter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The people you would probably be happiest giving to are probably the same people who would never ask and be embarrassed to receive charity.

A way I could think of doing it, if you're alright with the church etc would be to contact your local parish.

How about Children's charities? Barnardos do good work locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

The St Vincent DePaul are your best bet in my opinion, and experience. They are everywhere, and really can point you in the direction of exceptionally needy families, and trust me, there are a lot.

Also consider finding a charity helping local refugees; this time last year I came across a squat in Deouchuise housing 11 immigrants and conditions were horrific. And remember that weather last year?

If you really don't want to go to an organisation, check with your parish priest (I'm not familiar with parishes and priests, but very often they are the ones who know of families in need, as people desperate often turn to them)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The local parish priest should know their locals and could help you

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭antonf

Community workers are aware of families in their area in need. I was talking to one in Westside recently and she told me she's hear at least one horrific story a week - people losing jobs, etc.
    You would generally find the community workers in the Resource Centre - there's one in Westside (near the library) and one in Ballybane that I know of but there is probably something like this in your own area.
    If it was me I would want to help someone in my own community and these people would be the best people to know and could hand out your hamers anonymously.

Well done and how generous of you. Definitely have given me some food for thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I have been thinking of doing up some "seasonal" food hampers and distributing them to two or three GENUINE families who could do with it this year. Thankfully I don't know any offhand myself.

This line is hilarious!

But seriously though, fair play.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

SVP is the best bet, you could volunteer to do the rounds with them in December and distribute your hampers as one of their workers on the day. You will fleetingly meet the family you donate to as you carry stuff in to them but they will never know you made up the hamper. Probably best.

I think SVP frown on free drink in a hamper, many of their long term clients have alcohol problems.

The Lions Club may be another donating organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

This reminds me of an Ian O'Doherty piece in the Indo last Christmas, did you read that? He described accompanying a SVP volunteer friend one year while he was distributing the hampers, and being appalled by the sense of entitlement and "widescreen poverty" he encountered in most (but not all) of the recipients.

If it's that kind of situation you're trying to avoid, I honestly don't know any sure way to do it without humiliating the recipient. It's still best to trust the SVP's judgement in this. If you're on close terms with your local priest, that might be even better, as he'll have more leeway to pass it on to someone he feels genuinely deserves it. He can always say he received it himself from a parishioner and didn't want to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Interesting that folks think the local priest will know. I'd guess that many of the genuinely poor will be immigrants who fall outside the welfare rules for whatever reason, and lots of them won't be Catholic.

That said, he will know some and I guess you're only looking for 1-2, not a representative sample.

Like the other's I'd say that going through an organisation will be better, otherwise there's real chance that you'll turn up on the doorstep just before or after a SVdP (or similar) volunteer has dropped off a hamper of their own.

Fair play to you for thinking about it, but I don't envy you the task of working out who is genuine enough to give to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

JustMary wrote: »
    Interesting that folks think the local priest will know. I'd guess that many of the genuinely poor will be immigrants who fall outside the welfare rules for whatever reason, and lots of them won't be Catholic.

Cultural inertia, I guess :) Even if religion doesn't come into it, the priest may know who in the community is struggling most. Maybe that's too optimistic of me, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Just make sure it's not a cheese hamper OP!

I know that the local priest in Westside for example is very hands-on with his flock, but it's true that SVP would probably be the ones that know the most.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I'm not a church goer and have never been affiliated with any parish, but can honestly say priests are the ones who know a lot about what's going on and are often contacted by St V de Paul and social care providers and social services as they have insight into a lot.

You could also if you wanted consider the hospice. They work with a lot of families who are in great need. Just an idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭careymary

I know waterside house the womens refuge gives hampers each year to women and children who have used the service, they are a good cause and always accept donations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

couple a tents pitched across from the GMIT. And i dont think they're tourists....

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ArtSmart wrote: »
    couple a tents pitched across from the GMIT. And i dont think they're tourists....

Unlikely to be families though, the welfare folks don't usually let kids stay in situations like that.

And this is where the OPs criteria for "genuine" gets interesting. Is someone with a mental illness leads them to consume mind-altering substances and to be unable to live in a house "genuine" or not. And who can tell what caused what in these cases anyway. It's not actually a judgement call that I'd like to be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

JustMary wrote: »
    Unlikely to be families though, the welfare folks don't usually let kids stay in situations like that.

And this is where the OPs criteria for "genuine" gets interesting. Is someone with a mental illness leads them to consume mind-altering substances and to be unable to live in a house "genuine" or not. And who can tell what caused what in these cases anyway. It's not actually a judgement call that I'd like to be making.

Good point. Also as you mention kids, brings up what constitutes a family.

• Advertisement

ArtSmart wrote: »

Really? Where abouts?

There's also a few tents pitched down on Lough Atalia.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

actually they're gone - prob moved to lough Atalia?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

define genuine - Tiny Tim and his family or a family with an aggressive, abusive father, who would tell you to f off?

Advertisement