Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane and Materazzi kiss and make up

• 04-11-2010 5:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭

From Football-Italia.net
    Thursday 4 November, 2010
    Zidane and Materazzi make up

Zinedine Zidane and Marco Materazzi have finally been reconciled following their bust up in the 2006 World Cup Final.

The French legend infamously head-butted Matrix and was sent off in disgrace as Italy went on to win on penalties.

It led to great speculation about what Materazzi had said to provoke such a reaction from Zidane, who retired afterwards.

Marca understands Materazzi saw Zidane at Real Madrid's team hotel in Milan last night and that after an awkward beginning they had a chat.

The two players then parted with what looked like an affectionate embrace, leading the Spanish media to claim they kissed and made up.

Aw, isn't that nice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Wow, never thought that would happen.

I'm surprised Matterazzi didn't head butt him.

He always struck me as the vindictive type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Would have told him to fuck off if I was ZZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

stovelid wrote: »
    Would have told him to fuck off if I was ZZ.

Zidane was hardly the victim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

MR NINE wrote: »
    Zidane was hardly the victim
    Depends on was Marco told him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Wow, never thought that would happen.

I'm surprised Matterazzi didn't head butt him.

He always struck me as the vindictive type.

Patrick Viera famously said Matterazzi is a good guy to have on your team but he wouldn't go for dinner with him.

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »

Called his sister a whore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,438 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Ush1 wrote: »

Depends if it was true.

Sticks and stones etc. A pro footballer in a WC final should be able to ignore someone calling his sister a whore. They ignore all sorts of abuse from fans every week. I'm not saying Materazzis the victim either, he knew full well what he was doing and what the repercussions might have been but Zidane has no one to blame but himself for what happened

Never got that thing where calling somebody's sister or mother a whore was 'part of the game'.

I'd have been selfishly annoyed at ZZ losing it if I was French maybe, but as a neutral I'm sorry he didn't kick the tramp's head in on TV, to be honest.

Tough tacking and wind-up/banter between players is fine but it's about time that stuff like this and getting people deliberately sent (holding the face, feigning injury etc) was stamped out ruthlessly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Does it ****.

Peopel hae really thick rose tinted glasses for Zidane. It was a knackerish thing to do, and not his frst bit of such behaviour either. The act is the act , regardless of who does it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Stekelly wrote: »
    Does it ****.

Peopel hae really thick rose tinted glasses for Zidane. It was a knackerish thing to do, and not his frst bit of such behaviour either. The act is the act , regardless of who does it.

Of course it does, Zidane said he after that he "would rather die" than apologize to Matereazzi and also said that he “could never have lived with himself” if he had of stayed on the pitch after what Materazzi said, i'm guessing it takes something pretty nasty for someone of Zidanes experience to do what he did, i'm sure through the years he got all the usual abuse from defenders. Yes the head butt was a knackerish thing to do but it must have been an equally bad knackerish comment from Materazzi also.

The fact is that nobody really knows what was said and what it meant to Zidane to act like he did, at the end of the day Zidane doesn't regret it, the French people still loved Zidane after he did it too, he did win them one WC to be fair.

Find it pretty amazing that people rarely criticize MM for a comment that most likely would get him beaten up on the street or ejected from the terraces as a supporter if heard by stewards. Is calling somebody's sister a whore really that less awful than head-butting somebody?

I can why people would be annoyed (I would) if it cost your club a game, but as a neutral....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Sticks and stones etc.
    Bollocks to that, there's more to **** like that than just a harmless slagging, if what he said was serious, or definitely not in Zidane's taste (as he is a Muslin, so there's a lot in that niche), and we don't know if he Marco called his sister a whore, he could have, but he probably didn't. I'll put that down as the media putting personal insults on a dartboard and picking which one you hit.
    Stekelly wrote: »
    Does it ****.

I shouldn't have to explain to you or anybody for that matter that I'm not sticking up for Zidane, I just believe it depends on what Materazzi told him because I believe words can be vicious, and don't try and tell me otherwise, it's an opinion, get over it. I enjoyed Zidane as a footballer, but do I **** have any reason to defend him on something that only 2 people really know what happened.

I just said it depends on what Marco said, it's clearly a neutral comment, now tell I'm biased.

Find it pretty amazing that people rarely criticize MM for a comment that most likely would get him beaten up on the street or ejected from the terraces as a supporter if heard by stewards. Is calling somebody's sister a whore really that less awful than head-butting somebody?

I can why people would be annoyed (I would) if it cost your club a game, but as a neutral....

Yes.

Bollocks to that, there's more to **** like that than just a harmless slagging, if what he said was serious, or definitely not in Zidane's taste (as he is a Muslin, so there's a lot in that niche), and we don't know if he Marco called his sister a whore, he could have, but he probably didn't. I'll put that down as the media putting personal insults on a dartboard and picking which one you hit.
    I shouldn't have to explain to you or anybody for that matter that I'm not sticking up for Zidane, I just believe it depends on what Materazzi told him because I believe words can be vicious, and don't try and tell me otherwise, it's an opinion, get over it. I enjoyed Zidane as a footballer, but do I **** have any reason to defend him on something that only 2 people really know what happened.

I just said it depends on what Marco said, it's clearly a neutral comment, now tell I'm biased.

All I'm saying is that Zidane was a very experienced professional and he should have been able to ignore an insult, however offensive it was, in the middle of a World Cup Final. He has no one to blame but himself for getting sent off. People stick up for Zidane because he was such a good footballer. What he did was stupid and violent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

He got one of the oppositions best players sent off in a world cup final and gave his team the advantage. well played.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Is calling somebody's sister a whore really that less awful than head-butting somebody?

Choice between someone insulting my sister or getting headbutted, I think I'll take my chances with the generic insult.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

All I'm saying is that Zidane was a very experienced professional and he should have been able to ignore an insult, however offensive it was, in the middle of a World Cup Final. He has no one to blame but himself for getting sent off. People stick up for Zidane because he was such a good footballer. What he did was stupid and violent.

As much as I love Zidane, I completely agree with this.

It also would have been more satisfying winning the World Cup. Who would have had the last laugh then. He could always after the match have gone and found Matzers and smash his face in with the world cup trophy but at least he would have done the right thing football wise on the pitch.

Graphic maybe but still, he should have kept his cool on the pitch, won the game and had the fairtale finish to his career which he deserved. It still hurts that Zidane didn't get that to be honest as I seriously think he was one of the best players I ever saw playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Grown men calling names and headbutting, you just have to laugh seriously. It really is a silly game at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

He headbutted him in the chest ffs. Thats just stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Choice between someone insulting my sister or getting headbutted, I think I'll take my chances with the generic insult.
    This.

I'd much rather someone calls my sister a whore than headbutt me in the chest with a baldy head.

Actually, I wouldn't care if someone called my sister a whore to wind me up, it's so clichéd.

But if someone headbutts me in the chest, i'm gonna be pretty fúckin pissed off about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Never got that thing where calling somebody's sister or mother a whore was 'part of the game'.

I'd have been selfishly annoyed at ZZ losing it if I was French maybe, but as a neutral I'm sorry he didn't kick the tramp's head in on TV, to be honest.

Tough tacking and wind-up/banter between players is fine but it's about time that stuff like this and getting people deliberately sent (holding the face, feigning injury etc) was stamped out ruthlessly.

Are you for real? You think MM was faking injury? He was ****ing poleaxed by ZZ. It was a deserved Red and not the first time in his career ZZ proved he was little more than a thug on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seaneh wrote: »
    Are you for real? You think MM was faking injury? He was ****ing poleaxed by ZZ. It was a deserved Red and not the first time in his career ZZ proved he was little more than a thug on the pitch.

He was a lot more than just a thug on the pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Seriously, calling someone's sister a whore is nothing. It's like making a joke about wanting to **** your friends mother or something. It's a joke to piss somebody off.

To put this into context in terms of something really ****ty you can say Kevin Garnett (former Olympian and NBA CHampion) called someone with the disease that prevents you growing hair a "cancer to his team". That's ****ty, but it's still a game where you say whatever you can to piss people off.

Calling a different players sister a whore isn't as bad as telling the ref to **** off and how often do we see that.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I wonder what this guy said to him.

Bubs101 wrote:
    Calling a different players sister a whore isn't as bad as telling the ref to **** off and how often do we see that.

Anyone see that bizarre story about Sampdoria'a Nicola Pozzi being suspended for taking the Lord's name in vain in the tunnel 20 minutes after a match?

Sure remember in Roy Keanes book the abuse Gazza used to give him on the pitch. Keane was quite young at that stage and he was getting called an Irish pr*ck etc...

I wasn't saying MM was feigning injury, although he got a head butt in the chest, not a shotgun blast in the face.

I was just making the point that we all rightly think that on-field physical assault is wrong; that supporters saying horrible things about player's families is wrong but that players saying things about other player's families or deliberately getting players sent off is seen as part of the game and we vilify the odd player (who is only human) that cracks and loses their temper.

If calling disrespecting a player's family on the pitch is acceptable then why shouldn't I call Glenn Crowe's mot a cunt the next time we play Fingal? Or tell Drogba? Or Torres?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I wasn't saying MM was feigning injury, although he got a head butt in the chest, not a shotgun blast in the face.

I was just making the point that we all rightly think that on-field physical assault is wrong; that supporters saying horrible things about player's families is wrong but that players saying things about other player's families or deliberately getting players sent off is seen as part of the game and we vilify the odd player (who is only human) that cracks and loses their temper.

If calling disrespecting a player's family on the pitch is acceptable then why shouldn't I call Glenn Crowe's mot a cunt the next time we play Fingal? Or tell Drogba? Or Torres?

I'm pretty sure if the ref hears it he can either book or send a player off for one of many offences, misconduct being the obvious one.

That said, there is no way in the world Zidane hadn't heard similar or worse before.

The man had a nasty streak a mile wide, 14 career red cards proves that.

I'm pretty sure if the ref hears it he can either book or send a player off for one of many offences, misconduct being the obvious one.

That said, there is no way in the world Zidane hadn't heard similar or worse before.

The man had a nasty streak a mile wide, 14 career red cards proves that.

I'm just making a general point with this as example, rather than necessarily cheer leading for particular players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

It still absolutely astounds me that people still consider Zidane the victim in this. If the roles were reversed I'm pretty sure there'd be a movement to have Materazzi imprisoned.

Seriously, if you can't brush off an insult, no matter what it may be, then you shouldn't be a professional footballer. It's part of the job.

Should it be part of the job? No, of course not, but the fact of the matter is that it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Was it not his mother? anyways very juvenile statement to react to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

How do we know what Materazzi said? Italian lip-readers?

killwill wrote: »
    Was it not his mother? anyways very juvenile statement to react to.
    Materazzi chose an Italian TV listings magazine, Sorrisi e Canzoni (Smiles and Songs) to put over a year of speculation to rest. When he tugged at Zidane's shirt, he said, the Frenchman had rounded on him with the remark "If you want my shirt that badly I'll give it to you at the end of the match".
    Materazzi replied "I'd prefer your whore of a sister", using the Italian word "puttana", meaning whore or tart. "I thought the words were slightly different, but either way too much importance has been put on this incident," Lippi said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/european_football/article2287327.ece

And that's from 3 years ago lads. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Legit question here. Have you played football or specifically a sport where you are being marked? The prime focus is to beat your opponent to the ball. Its very distracting to insult or talk **** to somebody during a match. Sure it isn't nice but its sport. People cheat every match. What's worse? Responding to criticism and getting sent off or rising above it and helping your team win a World Cup as the ultimate **** off?

He's a funny bastard

• Advertisement

Legit question here. Have you played football or specifically a sport where you are being marked?

Only amateur league but of course.

But I would hazard a guess that neither of us have played football to the level where the kind of pressure you're pretending to know about is a real factor.

I can see the points made (and appreciate them) and again, if ZZ was playing for team I support, I'd think very differently but I'm sick of the fact that contempt for the actions of pricks like MM, Bilic and Rivaldo and other players who conspire to get other pros sent off are always lost in a wall of censure for the poor dope that snaps under it.

Can't say more than - as a neutral - I'm sorry ZZ didn't put the boot in properly on the tramp and I'm disappointed he made up with him.

Sorry - I know that isn't the consensus here but I'm not sure it even warrants more discussion from me. That's just how I feel about it.

Only amateur league but of course.

But I would hazard a guess that neither of us have played football to the level where the kind of pressure you're pretending to know about is a real factor.

I can see the points made (and appreciate them) and again, if ZZ was playing for team I support, I'd think very differently but I'm sick of the fact that contempt for the actions of pricks like MM, Bilic and Rivaldo and other players who conspire to get other pros sent off are always lost in a wall of censure for the poor dope that snaps under it.

Can't say more than - as a neutral - I'm sorry ZZ didn't put the boot in properly on the tramp and I'm disappointed he made up with him.

Sorry - I know that isn't the consensus here but I'm not sure it even warrants more discussion from me. That's just how I feel about it.

Oh come off it. Are you saying you've never told a friend you want to **** his hot sister, or mother, or daughter. Please. Get of your high horse and realize that Zizou completely overreacted.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Are you saying you've never told a friend you want to **** his hot sister, or mother, or daughter

Nope.

Then again, my life isn't a facsimile of Jackass.

Nope.

Then again, my life isn't a facsimile of Jackass.

Nice

MM defended the way they do in Italy
    ZZ came up with something witty
    MM served him
    ZZ headbutted him

Ergo MM is a prick

Nice

MM served him
    ZZ headbutted him

Ergo MM is a prick

Not really.

My main gripe is with the wide tacit acceptance of the practice of trying to get other pros sent off. Bilic and Blanc; Rivaldo holding his face; MM and so on.

Now I don't think players should go round loafing other players whenever they're pissed off. Just that in this instance, I couldn't help feeling happy that somebody had dealt justice back.

So that's not cheer-leading ZZ, or violent behaviour in general.

The problem is that we see it as "the way they do it in Italy" not as aberrant and dishonorable behaviour. Like I say, I'm no moralist. I like tough tacking. I don't really mind opportunist stuff like going to ground in the box even if it's a gutter when it happens to your team.

Also kidding amongst friends is different to MM's actions. A better analogy would be a stranger saying similar to you in a argument in a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Zidane is overrated.

There, I said it, I imagine I shall be devoured soon.

Very very skillful player, but highly overrated.

Nice

MM served him
    ZZ headbutted him

Ergo MM is a prick

Funny point you raise actually, it really is a mindset thing. Cheating, or bending the rules etc.....or "gamesmanship", is hugely lauded by some. Evra said they should build a statue of Henry after his handball. To certain types a good cheat is as good as a good legit goal.

Funny point you raise actually, it really is a mindset thing. Cheating, or bending the rules etc.....or "gamesmanship", is hugely lauded by some. Evra said they should build a statue of Henry after his handball. To certain types a good cheat is as good as a good legit goal.

I think I remember reading in the excellent Maradona book by Jimmy Burns that there was even a specific Spanish word that the Argentines used that translated to a sense of craftiness or getting away with things. Must look it up again.

I think I remember reading in the excellent Maradona book by Jimmy Burns that there was even a specific Spanish word that the Argentines used that translated to a sense of craftiness or getting away with things. Must look it up again.

Yep, exact same in Italy, can't remember the word but I think it translates literally as "beautiful lie" or something, says it all really.

If that's what kids are thought, what can we expect.

Not really.

My main gripe is with the wide tacit acceptance of the practice of trying to get other pros sent off. Bilic and Blanc; Rivaldo holding his face; MM and so on.

They are absolutely not in the same league. MM insulted a different player. That's not trying to get someone sent off.

ZZ headbutted a man like an absolute thug and he ran ahead of him specifically to do it. Pre-meditation. Then knowing what he did he didn't walk down the tunnel instantly he fecked around the pitch for 3 minutes.

now if you think trying to get someone sent off is bad then how come you don't give a crap about the lack of moral character to own up to a henious act that you know is an instant red if not the henious act in the first place

They are absolutely not in the same league. MM insulted a different player. That's not trying to get someone sent off.

MM was obviously hoping to get a red-card reaction, no?

Reminds me of a time in England when dickheads like Vinnie Jones were de rigeur and loved by all. Limited donkeys whose claim to fame was trying to do in other players or get them sent off.

No question, he did the same thing a few months later I believe in a league match. The opposition player smacked him in the head that time.

That's a massive leap.

How exactly is it obvious. The most likely reaction by far is that Zizou ignores it. The only way it can get a red card reaction is that Zizou hits him. That almost never happens. I'd be 100% certain that he was not trying to get a red-card reaction and was instead one upping a humourous comment

Massive leap

Reminds me of a time in England when dickheads like Vinnie Jones were de rigeur and loved by all. Limited donkeys whose claim to fame was trying to do in other players or get them sent off.

Also, donkey?

MM was one of the best players in the final and he saved that tournament for Italy. They had Nesta and Cannavarro, by far the best defence there and they lost Nesta for MM. And you barely noticed. He was top class throughout the tournament. Had more good games than Zizou

That's a massive leap.

Put it this way; would MM be known as player who that never wind up opponents and was only subject to a rare foul-mouthed slip of the tongue when egged on by ZZ? :D

You have to admit that MM is a self-styled hard-man and WUM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement