Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zidane and Materazzi kiss and make up

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Bubs101 wrote: »
    That's a massive leap.

How exactly is it obvious. The most likely reaction by far is that Zizou ignores it. The only way it can get a red card reaction is that Zizou hits him. That almost never happens. I'd be 100% certain that he was not trying to get a red-card reaction and was instead one upping a humourous comment

Massive leap

You obviously don't know what Marco Matterazzi is like at all.

UPDATE TO THIS:
    Inter's Marco Materazzi has raised new questions over his relationship with Real Madrid advisor Zinedine Zidane after claiming there was no hug between them despite reports suggested peace was re-established.

"There was certainly no hug," Materazzi told ANSA on Friday.

And 'Matrix' brushed off further suggestions that the men had reconciled their relationship when he visited Jose Mourinho on Wednesday.

"The news? Let it circulate," he said.

On Thursday Spanish paper Marca claimed the men had called a truce to their differences following their World Cup 2006 bust-up.

Inter take on Brescia on Saturday night. The Nerazzurri will be hoping to make up for their debacle against Tottenham in the Champions League.

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/sports/201011/102148.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

stovelid wrote: »
    You have to admit that MM is a self-styled hard-man and WUM.

And that's why I love him. I fully believe he could get away with killing a man on the football pitch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Put it this way; would MM be known as player who that never wind up opponents and was only subject to a rare foul-mouthed slip of the tongue when egged on by ZZ? :D

You have to admit that MM is a self-styled hard-man and WUM.

Yeah, he is a hard man.An amazingly succesful one.He's also an inspirational captain . He's won everything. He's much better than people think. He's been at Inter longer than any defender bar Zanetti. He was the brains, soul and talent behind that Perugia team. No player from that team succeeded with a big one bar him. Nakata was a flop at Roma (good at Parma TBF), Liverani was useless at Lazio, don't know where Cosmi is and Vryzaz dissapeared. Matterazzi succeeded. And he is a phenomenal penalty kick taker

Ush1 wrote: »
    You obviously don't know what Marco Matterazzi is like at all.

UPDATE TO THIS:

http://foreign.peacefmonline.com/sports/201011/102148.php

I love him.Adore him. I know him. Already posted my view on him, no need to double post

I love him.Adore him. I know him. Already posted my view on him, no need to double post

So it really isn't a huge leap to presume he was trying to get Zidane sent off, and was totally successful in his attempt.

So it really isn't a huge leap to presume he was trying to get Zidane sent off, and was totally successful in his attempt.

So you think everyone who insults someone is trying to get someone sent off. You think they put that much thought into it. Have you ever played sports

So you think everyone who insults someone is trying to get someone sent off. You think they put that much thought into it. Have you ever played sports

Yes I have, not that it matters. We're not talking about everyone.

If they insult someone in a fit of rage, no.

If they insult someone calmly with a view to enraging the person/breaking their concentration, maybe.

If Marco Materazzi insults you calmly, he's trying to get you sent off.

Yes I have, not that it matters. We're not talking about everyone.

If they insult someone in a fit of rage, no.

If they insult someone calmly with a view to enraging the person/breaking their concentration, maybe.

If Marco Materazzi insults you calmly, he's trying to get you sent off.

So your saying that in the seconds after Zizou said it to him MM came up with a masterplan to get an experienced pro like ZZ to get sent off. Bull****. It just rolled of his tongue like all insults. No thought

So your saying that in the seconds after Zizou said it to him MM came up with a masterplan to get an experienced pro like ZZ to get sent off. Bull****. It just rolled of his tongue like all insults. No thought

Umm, no, it's not a masterplan or something he came up with on the spot. Zidane was not the first player he insulted and wasn't the last he insulted and got sent off. Zidane has a history of being a hot head. There is an art to it and some players are very good at winding people up.

No plan needed. Sly tugging at someones shirt constantly, throw in a few insults for good measure. It's been done throughout history to hot head players, sure coaches even target it and players brag about it. Can remember last year in the CL some player bragging how Rooney was a hot head and he would get him sent off.

The fact that it rolled off his tongue is totally normal, it's how he played. As much a part of defending as getting his head on a high ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Also, donkey?

MM Had more good games than Zizou

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but can you justify this?

Umm, no, it's not a masterplan or something he came up with on the spot. Zidane was not the first player he insulted and wasn't the last he insulted and got sent off. Zidane has a history of being a hot head. There is an art to it and some players are very good at winding people up.

No plan needed. Sly tugging at someones shirt constantly, throw in a few insults for good measure. It's been done throughout history to hot head players, sure coaches even target it and players brag about it. Can remember last year in the CL some player bragging how Rooney was a hot head and he would get him sent off.

The fact that it rolled off his tongue is totally normal, it's how he played. As much a part of defending as getting his head on a high ball.

Well Germany have Klose, Ballack and Kahn/Lehmann and he didn't get on their tits and they're worse than Zizou for the going mental stuff. Haven't a clue about the Ukraine but Australia? Nation of hot heads and MM didn't do it. Yet because Zizou is Zizou he must have been doing it the whole time and Zizou was the only one with the integrity to stand up for his family and headbut the guy:rolleyes:

Also meant to say MM was better than ZZ in the World Cup. ZZ had two awful games before France kicked it in the last group game and then he got sent off in the final and while he scored it was a penalty.

MM was part of a peerless Italian defence that didn't concede against Australia, Germany or the Ukraine and then only conceded to France via the spot kick. And he scored twice in the final. Class act

Well Germany have Klose, Ballack and Kahn/Lehmann and he didn't get on their tits and they're worse than Zizou for the going mental stuff. Haven't a clue about the Ukraine but Australia? Nation of hot heads and MM didn't do it. Yet because Zizou is Zizou he must have been doing it the whole time and Zizou was the only one with the integrity to stand up for his family and headbut the guy:rolleyes:

Also meant to say MM was better than ZZ in the World Cup. ZZ had two awful games before France kicked it in the last group game and then he got sent off in the final and while he scored it was a penalty.

MM was part of a peerless Italian defence that didn't concede against Australia, Germany or the Ukraine and then only conceded to France via the spot kick. And he scored twice in the final. Class act

Well you might call him a class act but he was a hatchet man who commited some disgusting fouls in his career. But I'm not really that interested in that anyway.

The German players you listed weren't actually as hot headed as Zidane and he most likely wasn't next to Kahn or Lehmann for any significant amount of time.

Australia. Good example, the game where he got himself sent off?:rolleyes:

He didn't play against the Ukraine.

You can have your opinion about him but it's all just a side issue, he definitely insulted Zidane for the purpose of winding him up. I'm not saying he was doing it the whole game(may have been) but that was his aim. In fact, I'm almost sure I read that he himself admitted it was his aim. Ill try and find quotes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Well you might call him a class act but he was a hatchet man who commited some disgusting fouls in his career.

Same could easily be said of Zidane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

Tough tacking and wind-up/banter between players is fine but it's about time that stuff like this and getting people deliberately sent (holding the face, feigning injury etc) was stamped out ruthlessly.

Theres a big difference between trying to get someone sent off for something they didn't do and trying to get someone to get themselves sent off.

Feigning injury/holding the face is cheating in my eyes. What Materazzi did was gamesmanship which is usually considered a frowned upon but legally acceptable act.

Theres a big difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

MR NINE wrote: »
    Theres a big difference between trying to get someone sent off for something they didn't do and trying to get someone to get themselves sent off.

Feigning injury/holding the face is cheating in my eyes. What Materazzi did was gamesmanship which is usually considered a frowned upon but legally acceptable act.

Theres a big difference between the two.

Jeering, sneering and winding opposition up starts off from a very young age in the local park, streets, school yards. My son is 8 and at some of his matches, I've seen some players winding the others up bigtime so players should be well use to it but once you become a professional, you should be well able to hack it on the big stage.

Whatever people think of Zidane, the chap was amazing. One of the best players I've seen so far in my lifetime and will always love him faults and all.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Same could easily be said of Zidane.

True, buts let not even attempt to compare their level of talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I find it amusing that so many people accept the story that MM called Zizus sister/mother (whichever the flavour is this month) when it has never actually come out officially what he said

I honest to God think it would take more then that, im sure Zidane and his family have been targetted by fans/players before, his roots make him quite an easy target tbh

terrorist etc....

Im sure whatever MM said was disgraceful, but lets not assume we know what it was, and Zidane REGARDLESS of how people try to paint him, was no angel throughout his career

Advertisement