Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

YR Sauce Discontinued?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

im don to my last squirt...and someone just informed me the sauce has been discontinued. is it true? I havn't' seen it in the shops today! there's a 10% chance i could starve to death if its true.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Premier Foods are still displaying it on their website. Hopefully it will still be around for years to come. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Saw it in tesco ballybrack just today, just the old school glass bottle. I would be surprised if it was on the way out.

In tesco they often have "discontinued" labels on products, even one that are in stock, maybe somebody saw that. I see several on items I get and none were ever discontinued, dunno if it is a reference to tesco themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It means Discontinued from that planogram. For staff benefit not customers.

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It means Discontinued from that planogram. For staff benefit not customers.
    They should use a more innocuous term that staff would understand, like a code word.

I have to admit I saw it once on this polish mustard I like, and bought up 4-5pots thinking it was gone for good! could be a sly marketing thing ;)

rubadub wrote: »
    They should use a more innocuous term that staff would understand, like a code word.

I have to admit I saw it once on this polish mustard I like, and bought up 4-5pots thinking it was gone for good! could be a sly marketing thing ;)

As I said its means discontinued from that planogram, the next planogram might have it on it if customer demand, lost sales or to replace slower selling lines. Not all stores have the same planogram, its based on store size so in a large store it may still be on plan. They use Discontinued in big writing to make it obvious to the staff(high staff turn over levels so using codes complicates matters) and they use that in the UK and the UK customers don't have a problem with it. But you could call there Customer Service in the UK to complain, they might pass your complaint on to the guys in India who program the shelf edge label.

• Advertisement

the UK customers don't have a problem with it.
    How do you know this? I expect people in the UK could have been confused the very same way the OP and I were.
    But you could call there Customer Service in the UK to complain
    Not really a big enough deal to complain about, I know what it means now. They should have copped on themselves, a simply code like D/C. I doubt they would change it when they hear it resulted in me buying more of the product, they would probably do it more!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,425 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They use Discontinued in big writing to make it obvious to the staff(high staff turn over levels so using codes complicates matters)

That makes no sense, as they still have to explain to staff how to deal with discontinued items. so they may as well use D/C, or any other applicable word.

Mellor wrote: »
    That makes no sense, as they still have to explain to staff how to deal with discontinued items. so they may as well use D/C, or any other applicable word.

They did use a colour code system in the past of a dot that could be applied by hand but that wasn't successful. So now its the obvious route of the big clearly seen word, stock control scan the gaps on the shelf every morning, so a big discontinued is very obvious to a scanner why there is a gap there when they move along the aisles otherwise they have to investigate each gap using a PDA gun. Time and motion study. The packer will Know to leave the gap in theory, the stock controller after scanning gaps will arrange for the planogram to fill discontinued gaps by using the latest planogram for that section or widening the facings of popular products next the gap. Having Discontinued in big writing actually suits the Irish form of operation as night packers here have a quarter of the staff they have in the UK(no min wage there) and your going hell for leather so reading little small codes like dc is the last thing on your mind when you just about have enough time to read the product title.

Knowing that customer can see its discontinued has the fringe benefit of inducing them to bulk buy a discontinued line which means you get rid of a slow seller quicker and can put your new planogam in place or devote more space to lines that sell. You don't make a projected profit of 200 million euros this year and have 27% of the Irish market by not making sense.

Advertisement