Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romanians with suitcases in Wheaton Hall

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed this alot recently, there are a group of romanian (looking) girls who make their way over to the clothes recycle area about twice a day.

Should Gards be contacted, I know its petty but I just have a feeling that these people are stealing the clothes to sell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Having worked with charities and emptied clothes banks like those for a few years, this is not uncommon. The children are lowered into the container and hand the clothes out. Usually it was our own particualar brand of traveller, but I could well believe that Roma Gypsies do the same. I would bet a substantial amount of money that the people in question are Roma, and not Romanian. A huge difference. Huge.

In my experience they usually use the clothes themselves. Some amount of crap gets dumped into clothing banks, doubt they would find much to sell. However they could be using them to sell. Gardai wont do anything tbh. They can't really. Contact the charity (if it is a charity clothing bank) and tell them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

It annoys me now because I have about 3 bags of clothes that I need to get rid of and no way am I putting it in there.

Hand them into the enable Ireland shop down town. Ring first though to make sure they will take them over the counter, they used to anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

ok sounds like a plan :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Romanians with suitcases in Wheaton Hall

Maybe they are the first to see the light and are off out off this kip ASAP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭positron

May they should change that cloth bank design a bit to stop them doing this? This has been going for a while to be honest - I remember seeing a roma looking woman and a child near the cloth bank asking people for stuff (to give it to them, instead of putting it into the bank) as far as back in 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

There not they only ones at it, there is those bags / leaflets that come in the door for bogus charities.

There is something honest at least in the Roma's straight up thieving.

The others who collect door to door get 30-40c a kilo for the stuff and it gets sent to easter europe or if it's crap shredded for rags and sold to the cleaning trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

ssmith6287 wrote: »
    It annoys me now because I have about 3 bags of clothes that I need to get rid of and no way am I putting it in there.

SVP + the hospice shop

these are far more worthy or clothes and the like, if you are throwing them out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I never now go to those bank clothing machines as I've witnessed that carry-on loads of times.

SVP is where I go now. Even there though actually outside their doors too, they have hassled (or tried and failed...) me at the entrance door.
    I just told them to "fcuk off!" every time.

positron wrote: »
    May they should change that cloth bank design a bit to stop them doing this? This has been going for a while to be honest - I remember seeing a roma looking woman and a child near the cloth bank asking people for stuff (to give it to them, instead of putting it into the bank) as far as back in 2006.
    You cant really, unless you make the slot so small you cant put bags in! I have been present a few times when they are opened, and have found a kid trapped in it.
    calex71 wrote: »
    There not they only ones at it, there is those bags / leaflets that come in the door for bogus charities.

There is something honest at least in the Roma's straight up thieving.

The others who collect door to door get 30-40c a kilo for the stuff and it gets sent to easter europe or if it's crap shredded for rags and sold to the cleaning trade.
    All the stickers are fake. Easy to spot really, they only have mobile numbers on them. There are only like 3 legit charities which go around door to door like that.
    Even crap clothes which no one would buy are worth money as rags. Thats were clothing charities get a lot of their money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Does Wheaton Hall have travellers coming round onceevery few months asking for donations for their kid's Xmas/Halloween/Summer/It's a Wednesday parties, or is that just Grange Rath?

It's gotten to the stage where when I spot them coming and ringing the door bell, I pre-emp them and I ask them to pay for my brother's Xmas presents <_<

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

They frequent Wheaton Hall as well.
    Travellers parties.....a very worthy cause :rolleyes:

CPL 593H

Advertisement