Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start buying baby stuff ?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

Hey everyone

I am 6 and a half months pregnant and have not got one thing in for my baby whos to arrive in feb..mainly beacause i am very superstitious about buying too much before baby is born..

But after looking at some of the essentials list for the hospital for me and my baby i was like OMG!!! So much stuff to get in very litttle time :eek::eek:

Should i start getting things in now or wait a little bit longer ???

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I think a lot of people are very superstitious about this sort of thing.. I take a more practical view tbh.. I started buying a few little small things at week 12 but I had to hide them from the OH as he would be on the superstitious side.. by week 20 I had my pram, bath, cot, loads of clothes etc..

I've heard of people buying NOTHING until after the birth, but to me that's madness :eek: plus if God forbid something did happen to the baby, I would be a hell of a lot more upset over the loss than I would be about having to get rid of some baby equipment.. if that makes any sense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭kirstyor123

By week 20 you had so much and im 26 weeks and have nothing, i must be mad:eek:
    Time to start shopping i think :rolleyes:

May i ask where you found the cheapest place to get stuff like babygrows and vests etc... moneys very tight:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

When ever your happy to start!

I bought stuff on special offers when I saw them,you really don't need much for a new baby.
    Tescos do great value on vests and baby gros esp when they have 3 for 2 or 30% off offers which are common.
    adverts.ie is great .
    Ikea have cheap cots and changing tables and baby stuff.
    kiddicare.com have great value buggies and cots (my cot was 80 euro incl mattress and duvet and bumper set)
    E-bay completely rocks too:)

Looking at double buggies myself now,have nearly everything from my little girl to use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Would definitely advise getting the essentials....

There's loads of stuff you can get at nice prices without going crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm 28 weeks tomorrow and not planning to buy anything until December.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

By week 20 you had so much and im 26 weeks and have nothing, i must be mad:eek:
    Time to start shopping i think :rolleyes:

May i ask where you found the cheapest place to get stuff like babygrows and vests etc... moneys very tight:o

I got clothes in various places.. I love Next's stuff, really cute stuff but if you're on a tight budget Dunnes and Pennys are great.. Dunnes more so tbh.. I find Pennys don't have that great a selection and they rarely get new baby stuff in for some reason..

Also my family have been buying me a few bits and pieces here and there.. or if I see a bargain in the likes of Jasper Conran or Mamas & Papas I'll snap it up.. as a general rule though I try to avoid those places as they are very dear..

Once you start getting your little bits and pieces you'll find it snowballs and before you know it you'll have loads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

Im only 14 weeks nearly 15 and i just cant wait to buy stuff:D
    cant go to dunnes/tesco/next etc without looking at little bits, i feel like because im not enjoying my pregnancy it just keeps me focused(that sounds awful but when im puking it makes sense:o)
    im constantly looking at what the best buggy/bottles/steamer etc is , im an organised person and i enjoy reading all the pros/cons of each brand! think im gonna but my first vests on mon coz the tesco near me just got new stuff in and its fab(already know which ones i like)!!!
    i dont think bringing some baby stuff into the house will jinx things, im more worried bout stress or hurting myself rather than a new vest or bottles! but every mum to be is different and whatever feels right go with it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I find it hard not to buy stuff. We are really lucky and we have been given all the large things (cot, buggy, car seat) by a friend - we'll give them back when we are finished. I think it's a good idea to have a list of things you need so that when you do get the urge to shop you are buying useful stuff and not wasting money. Having said that I love the Baby Gap clothes and they are quite expensive so I pop into their clearance rail every week and I have a rule that I won't buy anything over $8 - I've got a lot of nice things incl a 3-6 month SPF 50 all-in-one suit last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

It is all well and good being superstitious but what about baby no 2 and no 3? you already have all the stuff so it that considered bad luck?
    Anyway, I have pretty much everything, just need a new breast pump and away I go.
    Not that you really need all that much anyway, 6 pack of vests, 6 pack of baby grows, some nappies, some cotton wool, a car seat, a snowsuit (for q4 10 an q1 11 babies), a sling and mm.. that about does it for the first 4 wks, anything else is just personal choice. You sill get gifts and have time to get out for more after that.
    So excited sometimes and so forget i am pg other times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I got everything early as i wasnt sure if i would have a premature baby my others first was 2 months early and i was 3 weeks early and my brother 2 weeks, so i wanted to be prepared. At 30 weeks i had the cot and buggy and changing unit set up, and my bags packed from 24 weeks. The only problem was that when my young lady was born none of the clothes fitted her she was 9lb 1 and the clothes were for newborns (also she was 54 cm long also longer than average) I had to go to mother care strait after leaving hospital to get new clothes for her, the shop assistant asked me 'how many months was she' i said "4 days" and burst into tears, I was very emotional.

With my second guy when i told my husband (Xmas eve) the first thing he did when the shops opened was buy a pair of Nike runners for a newborn baby, he then bought a bigger car. This guy was 5 weeks early and as soon as i left he hospital i went to next and had to buy a whole new wardrobe for my little fella as he was 7lb 6oz and all the clothes were too big for him (got clothes for a 10lb baby) .

I already had everything for my 3rd guy and i learned my lesson and got a whole rage of sizes for him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Laughing at the male priorities vs the female ones;)

My girl was 58cm and 7lb 4 @ 38 weeks.
    I never expected her to be small so had bought no newborn stuff just all 0-3 months,got some gorgeous newborn stuff as presents.
    People knew we did not know the gender so knew we would have not bought anyhting girlie for her:)

it just dawned on me,imagine how tall my baba would be if I went 2 weeks over. la la la la la happy thoughts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Hey everyone

I am 6 and a half months pregnant and have not got one thing in for my baby whos to arrive in feb..mainly beacause i am very superstitious about buying too much before baby is born..

But after looking at some of the essentials list for the hospital for me and my baby i was like OMG!!! So much stuff to get in very litttle time :eek::eek:

Should i start getting things in now or wait a little bit longer ???

Wait for the sales.buy small bits and pieces weekly....i'm sure you'll get plenty of presents anyway;)

Best of luck and Congrats :D:D:D:D:D:D

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7766

2nd baby with nike runners on just after we left hospital, he is 2 days old born the 16.05.2005 he is also jaundiced, that lasted 6 weeks. He was badly bruised from a traumatic birth, his eyes were sheets of blood.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    Laughing at the male priorities vs the female ones;)

My girl was 58cm and 7lb 4 @ 38 weeks.!!!

Thats tall, for a newborn. They said my lady was tall at 54cm, both my boys were 1cm shorter than average.

Is she still tall?

My lady stopped growing at 3 and started to grow again at 4 so she is just above average height. If she carried on her percentile she would be 5,11 but the percentile she is on now she should be 5,5.

The boys are following their percentiles and should be 5,11, like their dad. They both had growing spurts after birth which put them to just above average.

As for their weight percentiles they were way over the 98th percentile but all 3 are now on th 75th percentile, but their weight suits their height.

Have to wait another 7 years for my eldest lady and another 13 and 14 years for the boys to see how they measured up on the percentiles.

Back to topic, how can you resist not to buy anything, i remember waiting for sales and to be honest all the good stuff is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

You're pregnant at a good time as you can get the bigger stuff after Christmas in the sales. My other half and I were quite superstitious as well, but there were good bargains to be got in buggies and cots in January, so I would've been crazy to ignore them. I just bought them and left them in the shop and my mother-in-law's house, so we weren't looking at them every day.

As for clothes, it's no harm to be throwing the odd babygro and vest, nappies, wipes and cotton wool in with the weekly shop. I'm a big fan of Tesco's baby stuff. Babies will live in vests and babygros for the first 3 months anyway, so as long as you have these and some blankets, you'll be sorted.

Don't overdo the shopping though, you'll be amazed at how generous people are, I reckon I've enough clothes to do him til he's 2! Different relations bought him a bouncer, a changing table, steriliser and my sister-in-law got me a big voucher for Boots, which was brilliant because it got me a great electric pump that I probably wouldn't have been able to justify buying myself.

And another tip, tell people what you want if they ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I will buy a pair of booties for this one inside me now and then in the second/third trimester for the rest if all goes well. We will find out the sex of the baby again. Window shopping at double buggies (our son is over 7 months now) - any of the ladies and gents have any ideas of good ones? I am petrifed of shopping for stuff but we have a son already so our child will probably use their older siblling's stuff for a while.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I will buy a pair of booties for this one inside me now and then in the second/third trimester for the rest if all goes well.

Window shopping at double buggies (our son is over 7 months now) - any of the ladies and gents have any ideas of good ones?

Congrats Cathy, didn't know you were pregnant again! I bought a Phil & Teds with the double kit as we're planning on having another one soonish. It's a great buggy, really light to push.

deemark wrote: »
    Congrats Cathy, didn't know you were pregnant again! I bought a Phil & Teds with the double kit as we're planning on having another one soonish. It's a great buggy, really light to push.
    Yes, we are - it was planned but we did not expect to get pregnant so fast. Am 7 weeks 2 days according to scans but almost 9 weeks by dates but the scans have been consistant thankfully so far...still scared. I love the look of the Phil and Teds and it manovers well - may see after Christmas if all goes well...hmm, when are the next sales after January? We think that this one is a girl (even my mother in law is saying it). How are your lot?

I understand the superstision but you do need to get a few things for your own sake.

picture.php?albumid=1382&pictureid=7767

hi cathy

My boy was 17 months when i had my 3rd. We bought a jane double buggy, because my fella was due in the middle of winter, we got a jane buggy (very expensive) but it was great it was a 4 wheeled one, not a 3 wheeler as i wanted to see both boys, (the baby was in a car seat on front of buggy facing me and my other fella was next to me facing the baby, each had foot muffs which fell into the under basket and not on the floor).

The side by side are a nightmare to get around shops and even in door or walk on foot path (i had one of them too a cheap 250 quid one)

The downside of the one behind the other is that it can get very heavy (even with the expensive light frame one we had, we had to take the back wheels off to fit it in the boot)

I loved that buggy it got nicked after 2 weeks, out of the boot of the car (the idiots only got away with the frame and the back seat we had to remove the front seat to put the car seat on it). the buggy was of no use to them at all, we went and bought the same one again (covered by house insurance), Also it was the only buggy on the market that allowed both front and back seat to recline fully. Which we need as the eldest of the was only 17 months.

very simular to the one i had, they have a video on it. http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10751&langId=-1&productId=100127&source=aw&cm_mmc=Blue%20Barracuda-_-Affiliates-_-Affiliate%20Network-_-Affiliate%20Window&awc=2553_1288971179_cbc6d28098cb1da2a34f21b9a5c8d0b0

I reckon I am going to be a double buggy expert pretty soon:)
    WIll be able to show off all my research to you:)

I reckon I am going to be a double buggy expert pretty soon:)
    WIll be able to show off all my research to you:)
    Thanks - you make beautiful babies. What are you going for?

• Advertisement

We're 95% decided on a phil and teds and will but it in post christmas sales. Am already thinking of no.2 which hopefully will be cooking from mid/late next year. I'm no spring chicken so there's no point in dilly dallying about these things.

The phil and teds is perfect for us because it can be a double buggy very easily. I've seen lots of them with Irish twins and it seems to work well.

We're 95% decided on a phil and teds and will but it in post christmas sales. Am already thinking of no.2 which hopefully will be cooking from mid/late next year. I'm no spring chicken so there's no point in dilly dallying about these things.

The phil and teds is perfect for us because it can be a double buggy very easily. I've seen lots of them with Irish twins and it seems to work well.
    That was our logic too. Irish twins sound like great fun. Am 36 now. If I could persuade my husband for one more after this pregnancy... The Phil and Teds look so cute. I will buy the first thing for my unborn this weekend.

Me too Cathy so would be 38 on the 2nd. Hopefully no number 3 for us though. Eek! We live in an apartment and it will be bijoux enough with 2 nippers. We'd have to suspend the 3rd out of the ceiling!

Me too Cathy so would be 38 on the 2nd. Hopefully no number 3 for us though. Eek! We live in an apartment and it will be bijoux enough with 2 nippers. We'd have to suspend the 3rd out of the ceiling!
    I prefer to call our place a townhouse! In the same boat though - it is a 3 bed. Did not realise how much fun being a parent would be - I love it! Two healthy children would be great, 3 would be greedy but I can dream. OK, I will get booties or something else gender neutral for this one inside me.

I need pneumatic tyres and something that folds easy for the boot.
    So I am thinknig the out and about nipper 360,it is quite narrow and can take big toddlers.
    Personally I don't like the Phil and Teds type buggies, but have tested D in them.She hates the back seat and seemed a bit long for the rear chair when it is at the front.
    The jane power twin is lovely,She loved sitting in it but it was nearly 15kg and huge folded.

Having 1 caused us to have to move house:) so now I have space for my small army!

I need pneumatic tyres and something that folds easy for the boot.
    !

The amount of people Ive seen pushing buggies with flat tyres turned me off them. Fitting in the boot easy is a biggie. We had a Renault megan and it was a hard fit (back wheels had to come off), if we only had the verso that we have now the job would have been way easier.

We got the keys to our house (large 3 bed town house) 5 days after the 2nd baby was born, it came a shell so we had to furnish it, we moved in 7 days after his due date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Phil and teds are well worth picking up second hand, i paid 100e for mine, complete double kit included and 2 yrs later it is going strong and will do this one for the next 2 yrs.
    Like the others I am 38 and this is no 3 for us, and our last. We have a small 3 bed hse but like you Cathy I love being a parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 neillcm

I found out I was expecting twins so have been OBSESSED (to put it lightly) with what buggy to get! I have had a look at all the options Phil & Teds, Jane Powertwin and have settled on the Obaby Zoom Twin.

It's hard to come by but much more practical than anything else I've looked at. The chassis is really small so it folds up alot smaller than the Jane and the seats can face all different directions. I love that the two baba's will be able to look at each other (as opposed to the back of each others heads as is the case with most!)

Definitely worth a look anyway!

http://www.jusonne.co.uk/zoom-twin-buggy-pushchair-pram-travel-system-from-1353-p.asp

Mods: there's a thread on double buggies in the Newborn & Toddlers subforum. Could the last few posts could be merged into it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭melsbells

myself and my mum were in mothercare in blanch yst, bought my first little booties!!!! am 15 weeks and after an hour looking at baby clothes im super excited, would loved to have bought more! some of the little xmas outfits were gorgeous, even mum was turning all mushy:D

did look at some buggys while i was there, thought i'd read up lots and was well prepared but oh wow...i hadn't a clue! had seen a nice graco carseat pushchair combo at home that i liked, suited our budget, light, neat etc, turns out i realised that the pushchair is only forward facing and i'd prefer to be able to see the little one for the few months after the car seat and then maybe turn it so its forward facing when they want to see out! now it looks like we'll have to increase our budget and buy one of the chunky ones:rolleyes:

i did like the mothercare excursion one, apart from all the silver on it,but there seems to be something i dont like about every one of them,its so hard to choose. hubby has left the choice up to me but this is my first experience with buggys and im lost!!!!!! what i do know i need is, folds easy as i have stomach problems and cant lift anything, neat and not really wide,wont be on rough terrain and def not costing more than e400, any ideas girls?????

Advertisement