Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spare room

Options
  • 04-11-2010 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

I have a spare room in my house and I rent out another room. The Tenant asked me if he could have 3 female friends to stay, I said no problem but there is only one spare room which has a double bed and he knows this. There is the room I rent to him, my room, and I also have another room which is where my wardrobe, chest of draws, shoes etc. are and there is a single bed in it but it is usually covered with my clothes and hairdryer and he knows that this room is also mine as i told him when he moved in.

He hasn't asked me if they can use this room but I dont' want it being used and also do I need to supply bedlinen, duvet etc. for the spare room for his friends? I did have a duvet on it but I had to go to my brothers last week and I brought it with me as he is a student and wasn't sure if his spare room would have one and I had to leave it there as I ended up bringing a lot of his stuff home so there was no room in the car. Now he is going to bring it down with him the next time he is coming home.

The problem is the tenant told me his friends are coming in 4 weeks so I imagine the duvet will be back by then but the last few mornings I have heard him opening the spare room door as if he is checking where the duvet is !!!

My main query is do I need to provide sheets, pillow cases etc. for the bed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭jenny jinks

You do not need to provide anything. He is renting a room. Anything above that is a bonus. His friends are not your friends. For the avoidance of doubt tell him exactly what he can use and not use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im assuming its your house? To be fair youre not obliged to allow him the use of the spare room at all; the fact that you are is an act of kindness. I would say no, you are not obliged to provided bed linen for his friends. If it is there and you want to allow them to use it then well and good, but otherwise its his/his friends responsibility to provide bed linen.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I'd ask him for more details, is it a party? are you sure he wasn't just planning on having them sleeping on the couch and sitting room floor? I'd set rules for it, you don't want to have to tip toe around hungover sleeping people on your sitting room floor for all of the next day. Set a time that they have to be gone by. Lock your spare room door, and let him know it's out of bounds. No need for all your possessions to be disrupted.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Thanks, I just thought that as he rented a room he was entitled to use the spare room, I just don't want to be left cleaning sheets after his mates have used them. I will definately be locking the other rooms, I am actually going away this weekend and have a feeling it is this weekend he is having people as he keeps opening the spare room door in the mornings - not sure why exactly but I can hear him do it.

I might tell him that my brother will be popping in over the weekend to do some stuff for me and also I have asked my friend who lives next door to keep an eye on the house. We do it for each other if either of us are away.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

shoes34 wrote: »
    Thanks, I just thought that as he rented a room he was entitled to use the spare room, I just don't want to be left cleaning sheets after his mates have used them. I will definately be locking the other rooms, I am actually going away this weekend and have a feeling it is this weekend he is having people as he keeps opening the spare room door in the mornings - not sure why exactly but I can hear him do it.

I might tell him that my brother will be popping in over the weekend to do some stuff for me and also I have asked my friend who lives next door to keep an eye on the house. We do it for each other if either of us are away.

If he is renting a room then that is the only thing he is entitled to. He has no claim to the spare room whatsoever. If you choose to allow him use it then that is fine, but if you choose not to then he has to live with that.

Be sure to lock every door in the house that he is not entitled to be in while you are away.

Also you should be telling him to go jump if he thinks you are going to clean up after his friends. Whether he uses his sheets or yours he is the one who should be cleaning them afterwards; its the least he can do seeing as how accomodating you are being.

• Advertisement
Advertisement