Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LG Renoir US problem

Options
  • 04-11-2010 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a LG Renoir last year and took it to the US with me while I was there last summer. Unfortunately it could pick up no signal at all for the whole time and I ended up getting a cheap prepay phone over there.

On the box of the Renoir it says:

KC910
    UMTS(900/1200)
    GSM/GPRS/EDGE/(900/1800/1900)TRI BAND

Is it because it is missing the 850 band, is why I couldn't use it in the US last year?

Ive read a little about that there was 2 different versions of the Renoir made, a European and an American one, but I dont know if this would make a difference.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Their is a US model yes, but the bands are for 3G, you should still be able to do calls and texts fine with the one you have once your on the right network for it. What network were you on over there, this may be where the problem was?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Davy wrote: »
    Their is a US model yes, but the bands are for 3G, you should still be able to do calls and texts fine with the one you have once your on the right network for it. What network were you on over there, this may be where the problem was?

That's the problem unfortunately, I wasn't picking up anything at all, no network came up on the screen. It's an unlocked phone using a regular Vodafone sim, would the fact it's unlocked make a difference?

I tried searching network etc when I was there and I could never get connected.

I find that strange, Im not sure what the problem was then. The phone should be fine, the US has 850 and 1900, and you have 1900 so should have been ok.

When you searched for networks did a list not appear?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yes a long list of networks came up but clicking on any of them didnt do anything.

I admit it seems a strange problem, I dont know if it's a Renoir thing or what. I tried both manual and automatic network search and still nothing. The one thing I did notice, and I dont know if it means anything, but in Network Settings there is a 'Preferred List' of all networks that you can add, but everyone of them is a European network and not one is a US one.

That fact it was displaying networks means it was picking them up. Seems more like a vodafone problem to me, you should have rang them at the time, using a different phone ofcourse :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement