Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

landcruiser, automatic or manual?

• 04-11-2010 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Am thinking about changing my landcruiser for the new year. I currently have an swb manual but am thinking of going for an automatic. Has anybody had any experience of both and what would they reccommend? Also is it worth going the extra bit of money for the lwb?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

LWB vs SWB is dependant on what you actually want it for, the use you'll put it to is the key factor. For all round use i prefer LWB 4x4s, i find them nicer for towing with and you can fit more in. SWB tends to work a bit better for lots of offroading (serious stuff, not just normal trekking aroud rough roads/farm track/muddy fields, doesnt matter then)

Automatic is only worth it on an amazon, on the regular 'cruiser it's just a waste of diesel IMO, it's not really going to make it much easier to drive either, still a big awkward thing compared to a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

auto.
    full stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭kuro2k

Theanswers wrote: »
    auto.
    full stop

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭ronaldo84

automatic if your just using it on da road and bit it a small bit harder on diesel. manual for towing and using it in da fields. i would choose a manual. as for SWB vrs LWB it up to what u need space for. LWB would be better on da road

ronaldo84 wrote: »
    automatic if your just using it on da road and bit it a small bit harder on diesel. manual for towing and using it in da fields. i would choose a manual. as for SWB vrs LWB it up to what u need space for. LWB would be better on da road

I've driven both auto and manual, for both towing and off-roading. By far the auto wins in all situations.

It tows perfectly, and when you offroading if the car hits a rock etc and jumps about the auto wont stall. Much better!
    Smoother as well in the rough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

auto.
    full stop
    kuro2k wrote: »
    +1

+2 just so much more comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

+3.

The old boys (my dad for instance!) will tell you that manuals are better for towing, but thats not true anymore - case in point American P/U trucks are 99% autoboxes and can be had with 21,000 lbs towing capacities.

Our LWB Landcruiser is an Auto, and I wouldnt want for any other 4x4 in europe.

+3.

The old boys (my dad for instance!) will tell you that manuals are better for towing, but thats not true anymore - case in point American P/U trucks are 99% autoboxes and can be had with 21,000 lbs towing capacities.

Our LWB Landcruiser is an Auto, and I wouldnt want for any other 4x4 in europe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Jaysus I dunno. By towing with an auto, are yiz on about bringing a dinky little jetski to the lake, or pulling feeders out of 18 inches of **** in the snow? I think I'd be goin for the manual, barring an amazon of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Automatics are far better for off roading and towing, its the reason why most dedicated offroaders or pullers are automatic. Automatics can change gear faster than any person and don't drop the revs on gearchange which is hugely beneficial for towing or off roading.

• Advertisement

Seriously,
    Buy the auto! You wont regret it and I'd be surprised if you ever went back to manual after.....

Seriously,
    Buy the auto! You wont regret it and I'd be surprised if you ever went back to manual after.....

Hear hear!

I simply do not want to drive a manual again, especially around city areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 strange john

Auto all the way.

I had a '91 SWB manual Pajero and now drive a 97 LWB auto box landcruiser. The auto is the way to go. So much more convenient when you're on or off road. I don't need to tow much so can't tell you what's better there, but the effortless and continuous power you get through the auto is brilliant.

My cruiser is reasonably old and i don't know what the auto boxes are like on the new models but I would like to have a selectable gear system as you sometimes feel the box isn't changing up into the top gear when i'd like it to. Also, overtaking can be sluggish, but you get the knack of it after a while. Fuel consumption is what you'd expect from a 3.0 diesel, i.e. not great. I'm usually getting about 8 - 10 km per litre which i think is about 25 - 28 mpg. Very dependant on how you drive.

Best of luck with it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

Which gearbox would be harder on juice??

The automatic is a beast on juice. i'm getting about 25mpg on a good day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I wonder how the autos are doing in the snow?

I gota skid the other day. I ended up arse end in the ditch. I just selected the gear I wanted in my MANUAL box, and cruised out first time. Most yokes wouldn't have gotten out of it on a dry day:D

Driving an auto in the snow is easier than a manual.

You simply press the Winter button to start off in second gear.

So far, the auto box on mine has been brilliant. you can slap back a cog on approach to roundabouts etc. just like on a manual. as long as you keep a bit of power going to the wheels, you're laughing.I just put BF Goodrich All Terrains on it too, which is a major help.

Advertisement