Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FTP speed with Magnet?

• 04-11-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Folks - not sure if I'm in the right forum but thought I'd give this a shot here;
    I have DSL broadband with Magnet and on Speedtest I reliably get 5Mb download speed; however when I FTP from a 100MB server in the UK the best speed I can get is 600KB/s - never a KB over that. I've tried different FTP software and multiple streams etc but can't ever see over 600. Does anybody know why I'm getting such poor downloads? Any help much appreciated.
    Drumm23.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

drumm23 wrote: »
    Folks - not sure if I'm in the right forum but thought I'd give this a shot here;
    I have DSL broadband with Magnet and on Speedtest I reliably get 5Mb download speed; however when I FTP from a 100MB server in the UK the best speed I can get is 600KB/s - never a KB over that. I've tried different FTP software and multiple streams etc but can't ever see over 600. Does anybody know why I'm getting such poor downloads? Any help much appreciated.
    Drumm23.

Are you uploading or downloading to the server in the UK? I always thought uploading was the main event with ftp?

Also are you taking into account that there are 8 bits in a byte?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

As an aside that looks like limiting on the ftp server itself. 600KB is a very round number.

We also do not throttle any ftp port.

Would you like for us to help you troubleshoot the issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

drumm23 wrote: »
    I have DSL broadband with Magnet and on Speedtest I reliably get 5Mb download speed; however when I FTP from a 100MB server in the UK the best speed I can get is 600KB/s

600kBps is 4800kbps, which is exactly what you'd get on a 5Mbps broadband connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

jor el wrote: »
    600kBps is 4800kbps, which is exactly what you'd get on a 5Mbps broadband connection.

LOL .. of course. heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Many thanks guys - that's exactly it! What an idiot!
    Cheers for the troubleshooting offer Rory but (600 * 8) = the answer!

Yep the ol 8 bits in a byte issue, it can confuse the best of us.

Advertisement