Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help me create a new password

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Think of your favourite song, let's say it is Barbie Girl by Aqua.
    Think of where it got to in the charts, so No. 1.
    You'd be much better off picking some thing a bit more obscure like the one that came fifth in a song for Norway in 1976

And skipping a a line or two

Problem is that passwords have a lot less entropy then people imagine they do. We are biologically programmed for pattern recognition, and when it comes to speed and accuracy can beat any computer system when it comes to picking out partially obscured people in a crowd even ones that can do maths billions of times faster than we can. It's a double edged sword in that it's very hard for us to generate patternless data.

In theory it's very difficult to break a salted MD5 hash (collisions are very much easier to generate thanks to the birthday paradox) In practice you can break 50% of passwords with simple dictionary based attack and up to 80% if you combine this with patterns frequently used by people to place capitals, numbers and symbols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Instead of adding a number at the end of the old password, add its corresponding symbol i.e.

password1 -> password!
    password2 -> password"
    password3 -> password£

and so on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

m0nkeys0cks
    rubber1duck
    christmass1tree
    sax0ph0ne
    y11fr0nt
    b0bsy0urteap0t
    icecreamc0ne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aETAPlXAT-w

cr0c0dilehat
    p0stb0x
    shuttlec0ck
    jellyg1rraffe
    fruityac0rn
    alarmcl0ck
    sn0wflake
    pa1mtrees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzuSOZN4T58

pigm0ustache
    b0wtie
    t0rt0isecr0wn
    squidgychessp1ece
    unic0rn

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPRwHxXbCZc&NR=1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

TLDR Summary
    Got any suggestions for a new password? 8+ Characters with a number included, but not at start/end.

The "I don't have ADHD" version
    (Rant bit)
    The company I work for insists on using the archaic policy of forcing employees to change their passwords every 90 days, and not allowing the last 15 password iterations to be re-used.

The problem is...the average employee has about 10-15 passwords and I unfortunately have 47 due to my role.

Since it's practically impossible to remember that many passwords and since we're not allowed to write them down, I've gotten into the habit of using the same password for most of the applications/sytems.

(Request bit)
    Well, the 90 days is up and I have to choose a new password, but I've run out of ideas for a nice easy-to-remember password.

So dear AH users, please help by offering some suggestions!!!
    (Password must be at least 8 characters long and have a number in the middle, but not at the end(??))

Mimbeltypeg1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, most of the offered passwords/suggestions don't met the 'required security standards' the company has in place. E.G, have numbers at the end, or contain a sequence of characters used in the previous passwords.

I was able to use one of the suggestions offered though, and it's super easy to remember, yet not too obvious. So....mission successful...I have new password and a method for generating new ones!!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Gee-b@g$

Thanks all.

Unfortunately, most of the offered passwords/suggestions don't met the 'required security standards' the company has in place. E.G, have numbers at the end, or contain a sequence of characters used in the previous passwords.

I was able to use one of the suggestions offered though, and it's super easy to remember, yet not too obvious. So....mission successful...I have new password and a method for generating new ones!!

:D

It's mine isn't it :cool::cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

same here in my job role, at least you get 90 days.... I get 45 days with the last 15 passwords unacceptable....and the bloody things alway prompt you to change in the middle of a deployment thus delaying it even longer..:mad:
    I tend to use words with 11 letters and add in 2010 at the end :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

Redshift wrote: »
    You need to come up with a password convention, if your current password which you use for everything is for instance apples
    then for your applications start making passwords like

laptop@11_apples for your laptop
    asset@11_apples for your asset tracker
    boards@11_apples for boards.ie

then in 90 days change the two digit number to the month you changed the password in.

laptop@02_apples for your laptop
    asset@02_apples for your asset tracker
    boards@02_apples for boards.ie

Once you pick a convention known only to yourself it is possible you have a unique complex password for each login that is easy for you to remember, actually all you need to remember is your usual password and in this example your month code.
    Obviously make your own variation on this but it works well for me.

Ya, I do something similar to this as well.
    Cant use the same 3 consecutive letters from previous passwords.

Those sick twisted bastards :mad:

• Advertisement

Use something that will be extremely awkward if any IT guys ever need to know your password -

"I like dressing up in tutus while playing the harmonica"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I just changed my Facebook password to '14 days' but it said it was 'Too weak'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

s h i t4brains

Take out the spaces

My password is the same as my pet's name.

My dog is currently called Fg19%8ti5, but it changes every 90 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

My password is the same as my pet's name.

My dog is currently called Fg19%8ti5, but it changes every 90 days.

Could you spell that phonetically for me please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

All that password changing may well make the whole thing less secure than if they just left people to their own devices...

• Advertisement
Advertisement