Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why We Need the New Translation of the Mass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭georgieporgy

Looking forward to it. It will be easier for those of us who were around when the present translation was ushered in, we still remember how it should be/used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

I look forward to it too. But I wonder whether our (mostly) awful priests and bishops will use it. More to the point, can they be stopped from making the liturgy up as they go along? Whenever I can, I go to Mass in the Extraordinary Form, but I was at Mass in the Ordinary Form recently where the priest, a young man, had a bad cold and was in a hurry. I realised afterwards that it had been an exceptional celebration of the Liturgy because he was neither able nor inclined to force his personality on us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

Michael G wrote: »
    I look forward to it too. But I wonder whether our (mostly) awful priests and bishops will use it. More to the point, can they be stopped from making the liturgy up as they go along? Whenever I can, I go to Mass in the Extraordinary Form, but I was at Mass in the Ordinary Form recently where the priest, a young man, had a bad cold and was in a hurry. I realised afterwards that it had been an exceptional celebration of the Liturgy because he was neither able nor inclined to force his personality on us.

We'll just have to keep an eye out on who is faithful. Those who are not can be gently reminded of their responsibilities. Give them a few chances. Then report them to the bishop and if that is fruitless after two attempts, refer it to Rome.

I think they will use the new, by and large, but I think many will be careless, both priests and laity, and we'll have a hybrid mess of the old and the new. Of course, if the Mass was in Latin, then none of this would be an issue.

I watched my own bishop and PP sit in the sanctuary whilst Holy Communion was distributed a few weeks ago. it's clear that they really haven't got much of a clue. Redemptionis Sacramentum has not been implemented in Ireland (or anywhere?).

I think a major problem is Maynooth and what is going on there. Perhaps the visitation will order it to be closed. That is wishful thinking, but that is where our major problem is. Liturgical formation is rubbish down there and from what I've heard it is not getting better. There's a good post here, and the comments are also worth reading: http://wdtprs.com/blog/2010/05/problems-in-the-seminary-at-maynooth-ireland/

The Mass for seminarians is held in this 'worship space': http://www.rha.ie/images/maynooth_wall.jpg

Whilst the nice chapel is reserved for occasional use:
    http://maggieblanck.com/Mayopages/ImagesM08/Nov164.jpg

And check this out: http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnbriody/sets/72157625234804898/

Anyway, I'm starting to rant and rave. Let's keep this on topic about the new, corrected translation!!! :o

You are neither ranting nor raving. I don't disagree with a word you said. I have been at two Masses in the past week at which the celebrants sat in the sanctuary while so-called "extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion" administered the Sacrament. What part of "extraordinary" do they not understand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Dewdropdeb

Very interesting. People always resist change, but I hope that it will be received well. The only part I don't particularly like is the change of "Lord I am not worthy to receive You..." because for me, that's one of the most potent parts of mass. Having said that, the meaning is still there, it's just going to be a matter of adjustment.

The main problem I think, is that the majority (sadly) of mass goers -espeically daily mass - and quite a lot of the clergy are elderly and as such may have a much harder time adjusting than if the congregation were younger. Sure, some of it will be plain stubbornness, but I suspect eyesight, hearing and illiteracy (still a problem out here in the country) could play a large part.

Logistics could also be an issue. Printing all these copies of the new mass and what not. I'm sure those of you in Dublin won't have as much problem here, but some of us out in the sticks are lucky to get a legible bulletin, much less order of mass. Several of the smaller parishes out where I am only print the readings and gospel. Hopefully someone can help the older priests out with the photocopier! :p

• Advertisement

You are neither ranting nor raving. I don't disagree with a word you said. I have been at two Masses in the past week at which the celebrants sat in the sanctuary while so-called "extraordinary ministers of Holy Communion" administered the Sacrament. What part of "extraordinary" do they not understand?

The good shepherd feeds his sheep. He doesn't stand on the other side of the fence while the hired hands feed the sheep. I was so disgusted to see the Bishop sit there while a troop of (mostly women) EMHC did their thing. Disgusted, but not surprised.

And you can bet your boots if you said anything, you'd be labelled a crank, lacking 'pastoral nuance'.

Check out the PDF leaflet I've attached below on the proper use of EMHC.

I'm working on my locals priests. I figure one gathers more flies with honey than vinegar, so copies of Cardinal Ratzinger's 'Spirit of the Liturgy' will be given as gifts this Christmas. Then next year, some Fr Z mugs, with SAY THE BLACK DO THE RED on them! That should be enough of a hint I think.

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    The only part I don't particularly like is the change of "Lord I am not worthy to receive You..." because for me, that's one of the most potent parts of mass.
    It is for me too (though I usually say it silently in Latin which includes the words under my roof) but I imagine myself as that centurion.

Fr Z mugs, with SAY THE BLACK DO THE RED on them.
    I know a few priests who would be better off if they drank their tea out of mugs like that. Where can I get them?

Wow, that Father Z blogpost is something to read. It's downright terrifying really. :eek:

I'm a big fan of Cardinal O'Malley, I hope he can sort them out. :confused:

As for being a pastoral crank, I've been labelled that once... I went to a "Gospel Mass" in which the "Gospel Choir" (not a black person to be seen, not a gospel tune to be heard, but they had robes and swayed, so I guess that counts) pranced around on the altar during Holy Communion and various other liturgical parts of the mass. It was incredibly distracting and if they weren't clapping and swaying in front of the priests, they were noisily up and down from their seats. Having said that, musically (I'm a classical singer, trained at Eastman School of Music) they were not as horrific as most church choirs, but the arrogance of them up there taking away from the liturgy was just appalling. I mentioned that I found it distracting and that music was supposed to compliment the liturgy not take away from it or destroy it completely. All I got was some blasé answer about them bringing people to mass and the people loving the music. Heh. They could still love it from the choir loft. *sigh* It was seriously like someone had turned on disco lights and a ghetto blaster in the middle of mass. Some of the music (Sarah McLaughlin's Angel much?) was completely secular as well. I was only 27 at the time too, so not your stereotypical old crank! ;) I now avoid gospel mass like the plague. :|

In my home parish in County Cork, where I go every few weeks to visit my mother, the choir and musicians at Mass sit (or walk around if they feel like it) on the right of the sanctuary. The leader or conductor or whatever she is called ignores the liturgy even more casually, and goes outside at times when there is no music. I know the Church has used paid musicians for many years, and they can add to the liturgies, but they are no different from the ESB who provide the electric light and the companies who deliver the oil for the heating. Like them, they need not and should not be seen.

• Advertisement

I know a few priests who would be better off if they drank their tea out of mugs like that. Where can I get them?

From here: http://www.cafepress.co.uk/BRTRANSLATION

Fr Z has a lot of stuff, but the link above is the ideal mug for the Irish priest. His other stuff is here: http://wdtprs.com/blog/fr-zs-stores-for-fr-zs-stuff-2/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dewdropdeb wrote: »
    I now avoid gospel mass like the plague. :|

Some Gospel masses, with Gospel choirs can be excellent. Personally I go to the Gospel mass intentionally as I prefer it. Different strokes :p

(by the by you don't need to be black to sing in a Gospel choir :confused:)

As for the changes, like some of them, others seem unneccessary O Lord, rather than Lord, and others still don't sit well with me, (beating of breast and repeating how much my own fault it is..:confused:.. yeah I know it's my fault that's why I am there.)

prinz wrote: »
    Some Gospel masses, with Gospel choirs can be excellent. Personally I go to the Gospel mass intentionally as I prefer it. Different strokes :p

As for the changes, like some of them, others seem unneccessary O Lord, rather than Lord, and others still don't sit well with me, (beating of breast and repeating how much my own fault it is..:confused:.. yeah I know it's my fault that's why I am there.)

If you compare the Latin and the current English translation, you'll see that the English departs from the Latin text a lot.

http://www.catholicliturgy.com/index.cfm/FuseAction/TextContents/Index/4/SubIndex/67/TextIndex/9

Compare what the Latin says:

Confiteor Deo omnipotens et vobis, fratres, quia peccavi nimis cogitatione, verbo, opere et omissione: mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

The current English translation:

I confess to almighty God,
    and to you, my brothers and sisters,
    that I have sinned
    through my own fault

The new translation:

I confess to almighty God
    and to you, my brothers and sisters,
    that I have greatly sinned
    in my thoughts and in my words,
    in what I have done
    and in what I have failed to do,
    through my fault,
    through my fault,
    through my most grievous fault;

You'd be surprised at the differences in many of the prayers throughout the Mass. Most references to grace were expunged from the translation we currently use. The translators also don't seem to have been keen on the word 'soul':

Current:

Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word, and I shall be healed.

New:

Lord, I am not worthy
    that you should enter under my roof,
    but only say the word
    and my soul shall be healed.

The new translation captures the full Biblical references.

There's loads more differences with the new translation much more faithful to the Latin text which was approved by Pope Paul VI. In general, we shall see that the most vehement opposition to the new translation comes not from those who are put out by having to learn a few new responses, but from priests and laity who have ideological objections to articles of Catholic faith which the new translation articulates in a way that the old does not.

prinz wrote: »

The choir were all right, no qualms there, my issue was them prancing around on the altar detracting from the sanctity taking place there. I'd go back if they were in the choir loft, where uh choirs, are supposed to be! ;)

I know you don't have to be black, but I went to many Black Baptist congregations when I lived in the US and anything we have here does not even begin to compare. ;)

Advertisement