Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Student died after heavy drinking session

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Unfortunate and condolences to is friends and family.

But at the same time, a good candidate for Darwin Awards!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭kev9100

thebullkf wrote: »
    good. we didn't lose a Nobel winner :rolleyes:.

Fuckin Moron. I just felt the world get lighter.

Jeez-louise some people really are Fuckwits.

Alcohol...kills more people than Cannabis/Cocaine combined!!

What a charming person you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

seanbmc wrote: »
    He died from pneumonia, he would have been fine if his so called friends didn't do all of those idiotic things to him.

Another coroner.

good. we didn't lose a Nobel winner :rolleyes:.

Fuckin Moron. I just felt the world get lighter.

Jeez-louise some people really are Fuckwits.

Alcohol...kills more people than Cannabis/Cocaine combined!!

A: You might as well have said just cocaine because there are no recorded deaths due to cannabis.

B: Are you honestly going to claim that you didn't go out on the piss as a 19 yr old? I, like many others here, have on more than one occassion been completley intoxicated. If this young fella had survived and had the next day written on boards "I was so wasted last night my friends put me in a lift naked and shaved my eyebrows off" everyone would be thanking him for recounting an amusing story and saying what a legend he is. He was unfortunate, but no more stupid or wreckless than the average 19 yr old irish male on the piss after a GAA victory.

Alcohol causes unconsciousness at about 0.45% blood alcohol concentration and death at about 0.5%. That's a very narrow margin for error.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

kiad wrote: »
    Not much of a loss to be honest.

You didn't know the kid so keep your ignorant opinion to yourself. Some one who has had a few too many already isn't exactly in the best state to judge whether they should drinking any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

TBH, his friends probably caused this, not by daring him, but I bet they didn't put him in a proper sleeping position when he was in bed!

One does not die from half a litre of vodka and 10 beers. One may pass out, and choke if in a bad position though.

I am not trying to act the big man, when I say I have drank far more than that and slept in the correct position to not die. If someone else puts you in a position then there is a higher risk of death I would think because they don't sense your discomfort!

I thanked this post purely for the link in the sig for fmylife.com. I didn't even read the post.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Originally Posted by seanbmc viewpost.gif
    He died from pneumonia, he would have been fine if his so called friends didn't do all of those idiotic things to him

Aspiration pneumonia is caused by inhaling vomit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspiration_pneumonia

I feel bad for his friends, their actions didn't contribute to his death but they must feel pretty guilty anyway. He drank too much, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

kiad wrote: »
    Not much of a loss to be honest. Everyone knows the more you drink the more danger you put yourself in. Many a time I've woken up very hungover with lumps and cuts and all sorts and I knew it was my own fault. You can't expect to chug half a litre of vodka and not have bad sh*t happen. At least some people will stop being stupid with booze for a few weeks.

jesus christ are you for real, how can you say that and not feel bad. If everyone only had two or three drinks we would live in a perfect little world were nothing bad ever happens. Please consider and rethink what you just said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

"Arragh, sure we've all done it before" just doesn't hold water.

Lots of people have "done it" before and are still here to tell the tale so they think that whatever "it" is must be fine and safe.

What they are missing is that the others who have "done it" and aren't here can't tell their story because they're dead.

The people who took too much alcohol and fell off a balcony, the ones who got in their car and drove into a tree, the ones who overtook on a dangerous stretch and drove under an oncoming truck, the ones who got into a fight with a stranger and ended up with a knife in their chest . . . they're the ones who aren't here to tell their story any more, so before you think that just because you've done "it" before and survived doesn't mean that "it" is safe or manageable.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Terrible loss. Poor guy. Some 'friends' . Laughing going in and out of the inquest. Shame on them

Is the drink culture in the GAA partly to blame?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hondasam wrote: »
    jesus christ are you for real, how can you say that and not feel bad. If everyone only had two or three drinks we would live in a perfect little world were nothing bad ever happens. Please consider and rethink what you just said.
    In all fairness to the gravity of the discussion, we are not talking about 3 beverages here.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭pinkyponk2

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You didn't know the kid so keep your ignorant opinion to yourself. Some one who has had a few too many already isn't exactly in the best state to judge whether they should drinking any more.

+ 1

Most of us have had these moments of madness ... its called growing up and experimenting. This poor guy was just unfortunate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Overheal wrote: »
    In all fairness to the gravity of the discussion, we are not talking about 3 beverages here.

I know but my reaction was to this comment "Not much of a loss to be honest" unnecessary imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

NickDrake wrote: »
    Terrible loss. Poor guy. Some 'friends' . Laughing going in and out of the inquest. Shame on them

Is the drink culture in the GAA partly to blame?

I saw that and was it just me, but not one of them even had a the decency to wear a shirt or tie - most in tracksuits:mad:

Anyway, condolences to this lads family - they must be heartbroken. And kudos to you AH'ers - some of the most sensible and compassionate posting I've ever seen in AH I think. Well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Mates should be charged with neglegience, daring him to drink half a litre of vodka ??? after having 10+ cans of beer + neat vodka !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

I never, ever understood this crap about shaving off eyebrows and stripping people naked. I'm not boring or anything, I love a good session, but what is funny about humiliating someone who is supposed to be a friend? When a friend of mine gets too drunk, my instinct is to look after them, put a blanket on them and leave them alone, not assault them. But I guess it's just 'having a laugh' in these idiots' eyes. Who needs enemies...? :rolleyes:

YES! I was thinking the same thing but didn't know how to put it into words. Agree 100%.
    postgrad23 wrote: »
    I found that part of the story the most upsetting. They must feel terrible about what they did.

So they should - Idiots...
    And besides, if they think they can fly, why don't they just take off from the ground first, test it out, you know, like birds do! :D

Do birds not learn to fly by jumping out of their nest??

That is the problem though. Right there. Nail on the head.

It's why I stopped drinking so much. Because the first time I ever blacked out I found vomit and my waste-bin and myself passed out on my computer - it would appear I spent my missing hours repairing an MP3 player that had fallen off the bar and smashed to bits (and that was one of those players with a hard drive in it. eek).

But the second time I just remember falling down very hard on my chest, bandaging something and waking up to a phone call from the other side of the country: it was my dad and apparently I drunk dialed him when I couldn't get in while I had the house to myself. I never saw my wallet again; my fingers were all comically bandaged up (by yours truly) and when they got back from Dublin we discovered the normally white front door was half-caked in blood.

And the problem with those two incidents is I will never know what happened. When you black out is there enough of you left to make rational decisions? Could you trust yourself that blindly? I think the risk is too much. Hence, I don't drink to such a stage. And if you're blacking out on drink, how can you honestly say you know what's going to happen to you? Even when you remember it, you acknowledge that when you enter that state, that you are no longer safe; that you cannot trust yourself to have good judgement. So why go there?

This kid made a tragic mistake when he went past that threshold. And now he's unfortunately dead. When he crossed that line he didn't have the judgement or fortitude to think a litre of vodka was a terrible idea. And maybe (point #2) he really didn't understand what effect that much vodka would do to him. Just like I didn't understand what 10+ shots of tequila and however many pints of bulmers was going to do to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

The guy is dead from a gross mistake in a night that should've been full of craíc, the rest of us don't need to be sitting here calling him names.

It's as if we're all spectacular drinkers and have never once gotten drunk and done stupid shìt.

Grow the fùck up.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Thebulkf do not post in this thread again.
    Folks please report any posts which cause offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Whuuuuppp puuuuul uppp owwwwwu oooowuuu

Stay out of this one Flutt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

For those people saying it was right that RTE said the details they did to stop other people doing the same, what are you on about?

What does the lads eyebrow being shaved have to do with his death??? Only mention the naked in the lift thing if it actually directly related to his death which it didn't seem to have so RTE are bang out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Ush1 wrote: »
    What does the lads eyebrow being shaved have to do with his death??? Only mention the naked in the lift thing if it actually directly related to his death which it didn't seem to have so RTE are bang out of order.

Persumably because his life could well have been saved if they had actually cared for him/gotten help rather than use his unconscious body as a plaything wasting valuable time before they thought of getting medical help. Perhaps the next time people will reach for the phone instead of the razor...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭kiad

The kid obviously brought 10 cans and a litre of vodka, whether it was for himself or communal he knew exactly what he was getting himself into with that ammount of booze.
    hondasam wrote: »

Yes I am for real. I'm not saying that people should only have a few drinks, far from it. I drink a lot myself and I know it but I know when I do drink that things like this can happen. I've blacked out many times before and I'm lucky that this didn't happen to me (not that I was foolish/"hard" enough to chug half a litre of vodka) and while growing up I drank like most of us do when we're teenagers and that is like idiots. This kid paid the price and it does suck, but tough sh*t. He played with fire and he got burnt.

Ugh, I need a drink....

prinz wrote: »
    Persumably because his life could well have been saved if they had actually cared for him/gotten help rather than use his unconscious body as a plaything wasting valuable time before they thought of getting medical help. Perhaps the next time people will reach for the phone instead of the razor...

They obviously didn't think he was that ill and I think any other drunk kids out there, before or after this incident, if they felt someone passed out and was in genuine danger, they would help.

To mention that he had his eyebrow shaved is just nonsense.

They obviously didn't think he was that ill and I think any other drunk kids out there, before or after this incident, if they felt someone passed out and was in genuine danger, they would help.

To mention that he had his eyebrow shaved is just nonsense.
    I suppose it depends on how fast he drank, and consequently what symptoms he was displaying. I can't think of anyone who has ever egged anyone on to drink and drink after they had vomited or something. Which is usually the first red sign that someone should get them water and a blanket or such. But that may not have been present here.
    The kid obviously brought 10 cans and a litre of vodka, whether it was for himself or communal he knew exactly what he was getting himself into with that ammount of booze.
    Do you know he bought it, brought it, or was given portions of it throughout the night? I remember the Clare Hurlers Homecoming back when they got to the Quarter finals: the Publican just loaded up the trophy with booze and passed it around.. it seems this was also a similar event, in a way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

They obviously didn't think he was that ill and I think any other drunk kids out there, before or after this incident, if they felt someone passed out and was in genuine danger, they would help.To mention that he had his eyebrow shaved is just nonsense.

No one is saying they did think he was ill. But on the off chance the next group of drunken kids remember this case when someone suggests shaving a passed out person's eyebrows, drawing on them with permanent marker, strapping their legs together with duct tape etc etc and in doing so suggest help rather than taking the mick, publishing all the details will have been worth it.

This case was a sobering thought for myself and my friends remembering nights that ended up just like in the Cork case. Luckily we are all fine but it did make us all say 'how lucky were we that nothing like that happened one of us'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

When I read this article on google news earlier I was embarrassed for how his friends treated him, it was quite prickish.

I can't believe the parents seem so calm about it, I know lads like to take the piss but as he was unconscious and basically dying if i was his mother I'd kick up murder.

Overheal wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how fast he drank, and consequently what symptoms he was displaying. I can't think of anyone who has ever egged anyone on to drink and drink after they had vomited or something. Which is usually the first red sign that someone should get them water and a blanket or such. But that may not have been present here.

But if that was relevant it would be mentioned and have been investigated. Still no reason to report he was stripped and had been shaved.

prinz wrote: »
    No one is saying they did think he was ill. But on the off chance the next group of drunken kids remember this case when someone suggests shaving a passed out person's eyebrows, drawing on them with permanent marker, strapping their legs together with duct tape etc etc and in doing so suggest help rather than taking the mick, publishing all the details will have been worth it.

It still isn't. Say he played a drinking game, list how much he drank, say he was dared etc... That's the point where the lesson learned should be, not going beyond that and beyond dignity by mentioning these other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

kev9100 wrote: »
    What a charming person you are.

I ain't here to be charming, i admit i was insensitive-apologies if i offended anyone BUT this kind of macho bullshoite really bugs me. He was with older lads-some prob 2 years older...they shoild've looked after him.
    i was,and returned the favour many times. I've been in the exact same position more than once so i feel i'm qualified to discuss the subject.

The guy was idiotic as were his team mates and his managers should hold some responsibility,as should the barman (if it was in fact the one bar that he drank his pints in)

any 19 y.o drinking ten pints should've been shipped home. i don't care how big,fit you are.
    . if it were Headshop drugs/Coke/Gear/Hash that killed him i don't think there'd be as much sympathy.

It's been a year now since he died-how many more have died from Alcohol related disease since??

Its a disgraceful culture we have regarding Gargle.:mad:

(i drink btw...sometimes too much-so it ain't a teetotal rant)

ELEVATOR:...
    idiot dies while making an idiot of himself to his idiot mates who make an idiot out of their dead friend and then feel like idiots when some other idiot realises he's dead

i congratulate rte on releasing the details as this goes on every weekend up and down the country where some feel completely invincible and dont realise the damage they're doing to themselves and the risks they're putting themselves at

+1.

Melissa Chilly Guano: I never, ever understood this crap about shaving off eyebrows and stripping people naked. I'm not boring or anything, I love a good session, but what is funny about humiliating someone who is supposed to be a friend? When a friend of mine gets too drunk, my instinct is to look after them, put a blanket on them and leave them alone, not assault them. But I guess it's just 'having a laugh' in these idiots' eyes. I never, ever understood this crap about shaving off eyebrows and stripping people naked. I'm not boring or anything, I love a good session, but what is funny about humiliating someone who is supposed to be a friend? When a friend of mine gets too drunk, my instinct is to look after them, put a blanket on them and leave them alone, not assault them. But I guess it's just 'having a laugh' in these idiots' eyes. Who needs enemies...? rolleyes.gif
    user_offline.gifreport.gif

+1

andalou:
    After he fell on the coffee table and on a concrete floor, why did his friends think it would be funny to do this to him? It's awful.

As a previous user said, when one of my friends in college was drunk my first instinct was to look after them.

Putting someone in a lift naked when they're obviously in trouble (he had taken a bang twice at this stage) is ridiculous.

AGAIN...+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Merzbow

if it were Headshop drugs/Coke/Gear/Hash that killed him i don't think there'd be as much sympathy.

Agreed. I have never put myself or anyone else in danger by smoking too much hash, might have felt very drowsy at times but it never sent me unconscious or at risk of death.

Yet a (legal) extremely dangerous and lethal drug is perfectly acceptable because it is so deeply ingrained into our culture, going back many generations. I would estimate that thousands die every year in Ireland over alcohol related illnesses, and more from alcohol related accidents (such as this case). Not to mention the families and relationships destroyed by alcohol addiction.

I'm not saying alcohol should be made illegal, but the laws (and attitudes) are very hypocritical with regard to other drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

The guy was idiotic as were his team mates and his managers should hold some responsibility,as should the barman (if it was in fact the one bar that he drank his pints in)

They were drinking cans in an apartment, not in a pub. 10 pints in a bar would set you back €50, can't see students paying that sort of money. In fairness you can;t hold his team mates and manager responsible for him choosign to drink that much, nobody forced him to drink 10 cans, he chose to himself. I think we need a lot more personal responsibility for our actiosn when drinking instead of expecting others to pick up the slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

thebullkf, you were told not to post again.
    I'm banning you for not adhering to mod instruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Never thought Kings would kill someone. Great game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

gurramok wrote: »
    I'd like to say that awareness like the above is a good thing. Be careful out there folks, drink alcohol in moderation and know your limits.

Never mix alcohol with painkillers or medication, I also know somebody who died from choking on his vomit asleep on a chair. Remember....

• Advertisement
Advertisement