Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line speed capability and what package I should get!?

• 04-11-2010 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

Some may have seen I'm trying to decide between Magnet and Digiweb as I can only get ADSL, but that decision could be nullified by this question!

Obviously I have no way of telling exactly what my line is capable of but Eircom estimate the active phone lines in my estate as 5120 when I enter a phone number into their website. I know my phone line was last active in 2001 and am assuming it's capable of the same.

So the simple question is: should I got for 3Mb or 7Mb? I don't want to sign up for 7Mb if it turns out I could get the same speed on 3Mb.

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

While every line is unique a basic step to getting some idea of what your line might be capable of is to find out your distance from the exchange as this will have a big say in what your line might be capable of. Also do any of your near neighbours have bb? Their speeds and performance might also give you a rough idea. If you are in doubt about what speed your line might be capable of then you would probably be better off staring with a lower speed and upgrading later if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

dub45 wrote: »
    While every line is unique a basic step to getting some idea of what your line might be capable of is to find out your distance from the exchange as this will have a big say in what your line might be capable of. Also do any of your near neighbours have bb? Their speeds and performance might also give you a rough idea. If you are in doubt about what speed your line might be capable of then you would probably be better off staring with a lower speed and upgrading later if possible.

I would say I'm about 2-3km from the Douglas exchange in Cork, which is the one I'm on. I used to live less than 1km(in the direction of the exchange) down the road and my line was rated for the same speeds, with BT I got perfect 3Mb for years but when I went to Vodafone @7Mb it was terrible, but that was probably just Vodafone problems!

Ya there are a good few Vodafone and Eircom networks being broadcasted, that's all there seems to be actually, I'll ask around at the weekend!

Advertisement