Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Polar Lows of the season?!

Options
  • 04-11-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭

Today's 12pm Satrep has not one but two polar lows off the west coast of Norway! Not classics, it has to be said, with the southernmost one being a warm core remnant of Monday's depression, so not a result of the usual instability of a cold northerly over warm waters, but it's still good to see the words "polar low" being bandied about this early in the season! :D

It gave 33 gusting 45 knot winds at Halten Fyr, so it was above the 27 knot minimum windspeed threshold to be classified a polar low.

MANU_20101104_1200.png

The Norwegian analysis chart for the same time today.

png;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭eskimocat

Polar low, fast becoming two of my most favourite words :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I hope this thread will be bumped several times this winter, with polar lows being a common feature to the north west of Ireland:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I hope this thread will be bumped several times this winter, with polar lows being a common feature to the north west south east of Ireland:D

FYP

Advertisement