Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Payments - let them Know

Options
  • 04-11-2010 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Just paying my arrears to the EBS online and feeling the squeeze as they keep pushing up interest rates.

However when paying online you can put a comment to appear on the banks end... so I did... I put 'cut the rates' and will continue to do so from now on to register my protest.

I encourage everyone else to do the same if you pay this way...

rgds M

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Just paying my arrears to the EBS online and feeling the squeeze as they keep pushing up interest rates.

However when paying online you can put a comment to appear on the banks end... so I did... I put 'cut the rates' and will continue to do so from now on to register my protest.

I encourage everyone else to do the same if you pay this way...

rgds M

Do you honestly think some person in account reconciliation will honestly give a flying fcuk? Trust me.... they won't.....

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭mightyabhabelle

stepbar wrote: »
    Do you honestly think some person in account reconciliation will honestly give a flying fcuk? Trust me.... they won't.....
    would rather do something than ly down and take it... problem with the Irish is that we would rather bitch about it in the pub than exercise our right to protest

would rather do something than ly down and take it... problem with the Irish is that we would rather bitch about it in the pub than exercise our right to protest

Protest and do what? EBS have taken a commercial decision to increase interest rates. Your protest is quite strange to say the least. Adding in a comment to your monthly repayment won't change circumstances one iota. The best you can hope for is that the other company (can't rem name but not PTSB) buys EBS and offers some sort of debt forgiveness as they have alluded to recently.

ah stepbar, I never once said protest brings about change. Do you think all the students that protested will change anything on grants?? I would like to think yes but probably no.

So tell me... what would you suggest

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

So tell me... what would you suggest

Pay your bills under the terms you signed up and agreed to:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

You are missing the point...oh, Bank Worker.

Stekelly wrote: »

Did s/he give you any indication that s/he was not going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

Stekelly wrote: »

ha ha, what that guy said

As a person that used to work in a mortgage accounts department I can tell you exactly what effect that will have:

The young fella who has to acknowledge your payment will turn to the guy beside him and say "heh, look what this tool wrote" as he works his way through scores of other arrears payments on that day. That is the only time anyone will see your message. It won't make him go to his line manager and say "look what this guy wrote, we should re-think this whole ruining peoples lives thing!!"

You are missing the point...oh, Bank Worker.

And your point is? Perhaps you might wish to read my posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Pointless OP, if you want to protest do it in a meaningful way. You cant compare you're comment on a payment to 25,000 students taking to the street and making their point by numbers. They have made a stand at least and have been heard and got publicity.

Grow a pair and go out in protest if you feel strongly about it but dont come on and tell people to make a cowardly made remark on their payments and think it will change things. ignorance is bliss i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Putting a comment on an automated electronic payment is a waste of your time. This comment section is not for feedback, and will never be read by any actual human being. If it makes you feel better, by all means continue, but it's not actually going to make one bit of difference. You may as well put your comment on a bit of paper and then burn it for all the good it will do.

Issues or complaints should really be put in writing and sent to the bank's head office, even writing to the local branch is a waste of time as they can do nothing about something that's decided at a corporate level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

Protest and do what? EBS have taken a commercial decision to increase interest rates.

Not that I think this method will work but why shouldn't he protest. The Banks are treating variable rates as if they are a licence to levy customers for their bad decisions.
    The best you can hope for is that the other company (can't rem name but not PTSB) buys EBS and offers some sort of debt forgiveness as they have alluded to recently.

The group your talking about is Cardinal Asset Management, the Carlyle Group and American investor Wilbur Ross. They may forgive some debt for people who can't pay anyway but they are going to bleed the remaining mortgage holders by increasing variable rates. I wouldn't go near EBS for a mortgage - it will be raped by these guys.

Wait and see, the variable rate mortgage holders are going to be abused so much that new laws will have to be passed to protect them. Of course our government will leave it so late to do this that it will be too late for many.

And your point is? Perhaps you might wish to read my posts.

No need to read your soapboxing, the point being made is not mine.

Oh.... Right :rolleyes:

Chipboard wrote: »
    Not that I think this method will work but why shouldn't he protest. The Banks are treating variable rates as if they are a licence to levy customers for their bad decisions.

The group your talking about is Cardinal Asset Management, the Carlyle Group and American investor Wilbur Ross. They may forgive some debt for people who can't pay anyway but they are going to bleed the remaining mortgage holders by increasing variable rates. I wouldn't go near EBS for a mortgage - it will be raped by these guys.

Wait and see, the variable rate mortgage holders are going to be abused so much that new laws will have to be passed to protect them. Of course our government will leave it so late to do this that it will be too late for many.

If the cost of your raw materials increased what would you do?

The simple reality is that the cost of borrowing money on international markets is expensive and the cost must be met somewhere. In any event, EBS customers can make the ultimate protest by moving their mortgage elsewhere (not a luxury for some). For others perhaps it's now time to consider fixing the rate.

. I'm ranting!!!

You talk a lot OP and you are more than entitled to protest and protesting is a democratic right. But putting a stupid comment on your payment is pointless. Its like getting bad service at a restuarant and instead of telling the manager your toughts and grievances you will mutter under your breath on your way out to make you feel good but your point hasnt been noted.

You give out about our lack of protesting and its true we dont take to the streets enough but thats got nothing to do with your method of protest which does nothing.

Maybe setup a facebook page at least in protest. Start a blog about your grievances with the financial industry and your treatment. Form a group to protest against these hikes in rates.

But sure as hell dont lecture people on not protesting when your little comment makes no difference other than yourself which is as you say looking after yourself and is not a public protest.

Make a stand for what you believe in. You are complaining we do not do this but you are hypocritical in your methods as no point is being made.

You could have even come on here and started a discussion over it and that would be fine. You would be making your point and thats no problem.

ah chris me old flower... I'm not a protester... I do things in my own quiet way... thats the point... in a restaurant... would I give out to the manager... probably not... I would make a suttle suggestion on a napkin... thats the type of me...

But its people like you Chris that tell me what I do is pointless and put me down... thats spurs me up... it might me little but its a start for me... what have you done... go on enlighten me Chris... show me example... in my post I offered a suggestion... not a mass protest... but for people like me that dont have a voice, to at least say something...

you seem to have it suzzed so tell me what would you do...

ps... you compare bad service at a restaurant with what the banks have done to this country... believe me restaurants wouldnt be in business if they done what the banks done... oh sorry sir... Mr developer over there wont pay his bill for his government friends so you and the rest will have to cover it with interest... get the point...Chrissy boy

LOL :D

see ya later. i'll leave you to this one. Not going to be discuss with that condescending attitude you have.

My local chipper does great fish for that chip on your shoulder.

ah Chris, you are right, I was annoyed at you and apologies for that... I didnt set out to be smart and dont want to offend anyone...

just simply making a suggestion on a simple, yes maybe stupid protest but thats all. Just felt I was being put down for it.

Maybe I will check out that chipper alright and promise I wont complain... ;);)

all the best -M

• Advertisement
Advertisement