Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

o2 take €40 but broadband cancelled 2 months ago!

Options
  • 04-11-2010 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭

just checked my online banking and despite cancelling and returning the o2 broadband i got 2 months ago under the distance selling rules as well as because it does not work in carlow they have just charged me two months without as mush as an email or confirmation that they recieved the modem back!

i had also rang them two months ago to cancel any direct debit they were going to set up as i had signed up for nrmal debits but they had me signed up for something totally different called originator plus.

a definite scam!

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Maybe they didn't receive it? Did you contact them to advise them that you were cancelling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

MarkR wrote: »
    Maybe they didn't receive it? Did you contact them to advise them that you were cancelling?
    yes they were expecting it! they suggested i return it due to service being so bad, and walked me through the whole returning process and i even got a proof of posting and to be fair they were very helpful on the o2 forum but they have just now cancelled the account so it looks like they got it back but decided to ignore the bit where they cancel the account and direct debit! what a shower of incompetants!

oh just found this from their forum where it states they recieved the modem back on 17th september and account would be cancelled etc

http://community.o2online.ie/t5/Broadband-and-Broadband-Coverage/Slow-Speeds-in-Carlow-Town/td-p/152158

update on this, o2 said they would refund the monies they took by unauthorised debit in 10 daays but not being happy with that i rang my bank who will have it returned to my account by close of business today:) well done ulster bank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

foggy_lad wrote: »
    update on this, o2 said they would refund the monies they took by unauthorised debit in 10 daays but not being happy with that i rang my bank who will have it returned to my account by close of business today:) well done ulster bank.
    That's the direct debit guarantee. I always cancel stuff like this with the bank anyway, prevents rogue "system" problems.

the thing is it was cancelled with the bank and with o2's billing department in september as i told tham i did not accept the originator plus debits and insisted on filling out the proper paper mandate, but this did not stop them presenting it for payment for a broadband account which had been closed 6weeks earlier!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If your direct debit was cancelled you should be asking (demanding!) an explanation from Ulster Bank as to why a cancelled direct debit was paid from your account.

This direct debit system is a farce and the fact is that banks cannot guarantee that a cancelled direct debit will not be paid if presented. I have this in writing from IPSO (www.ipso.ie) and they have no plans to correct this major fault.

I dont know how anyone can stand over this farce of a system:mad:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

That's the direct debit guarantee. I always cancel stuff like this with the bank anyway, prevents rogue "system" problems.

In reality there is no such thing as a direct debit guarantee and that term simply misleads people. The "direct debit guarantee" is simply a "branding" of the fact that you are entitled to get back what should not have been taken in the first place that's all. It does not give you any protection against your account being accessed at any time without your knowledge by a company who has a dd mandate from you.

There are now over 4000 dd originators, as they are known, in Ireland - that's an insane number of businesses who can access peoples' accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭niall1811

same thing happened to me with vodafone broadband, they continued taking money for the broadband for 5 months after it was cancelled despite numerous phone calls. Eventually rang one day and stayed on the line until they gave me someone who could actually do something about it and got my money refunded and a voucher for my trouble!

dub45 wrote: »
    If your direct debit was cancelled you should be asking (demanding!) an explanation from Ulster Bank as to why a cancelled direct debit was paid from your account.

This direct debit system is a farce and the fact is that banks cannot guarantee that a cancelled direct debit will not be paid if presented. I have this in writing from IPSO (www.ipso.ie) and they have no plans to correct this major fault.

I dont know how anyone can stand over this farce of a system:mad:

sorry it was actually the initial payment that was charged so there was no debit to be cancelled with my bank untill this but it was cancelled with o2 as was the account the direct debit related to but apparrently they never cancelled my account even though they acknowledged receipt of the equipment.

Advertisement