Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Early House

• 04-11-2010 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hows it going, just like to know what are peoples opinions on early houses and their experiences in them ect ect...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Whats that? A pub that closes at 4.30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭jiltloop

They're great if you're after being on an all nighter and have ran out of drink at a party, but they can be hard to get into if you're already blotto and by god you regret it when you wake up with a hangover at 6pm that evening with the prospect of watching Jeremy Kyle at 3am while DTing.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

Any wkend were out normally hit the early house on a sunday .. right craic :D out for the day.. thats why i hate mondays :D :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Worked nights at one stage and went for an early pint the odd time. No real experiences or opinions. Meh.
    jiltloop wrote: »
    .. but they can be hard to get into if you're already blotto...

As they should be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Haven't been in one in a long time. They can be handy at times though alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

They're a godsend when coming home in the early hours of the morning from a late night country gig.

It's also handy that the 2 pubs closest to where I live are both early houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysusake

They dont open of a sunday as far as im aware, the only place you'll get an early pint on a sunday is caulfields hotel on dorset st. its touch and go as to wether the porter lets ye in, that poens from 7.45 and its also one of the cheapest pints around at 3.40 for heinken and 3.10 for guinness. the chancery on the keys is a bit of a kip but never had any bother getting in no matter what state i was in!

prinz wrote: »
    Worked nights at one stage and went for an early pint the odd time. No real experiences or opinions. Meh.

As they should be.
    You sound like a barrel of laughs.

jaysusake wrote: »
    They dont open of a sunday as far as im aware

Oh yes they do :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭jaysusake

In Dublin? where? enlighten us...

• Advertisement

I never said I was from Dublin :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Ugh, last memory was back in February, up all night on a mephedrone bender, someone comes up with bright idea to go to early house on quays, so get more meph on the way to it and end up drinking there till it closed at midday and then another boozer till about 4. Then went to bed. Took me about 4 days to get over that bender. Dark, dark times...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

jaysusake wrote: »
    In Dublin? where? enlighten us...

there is a pub very close to portobello bridge that 'opens' early. you just need to know the knock on the window;)

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    up all night on a mephedrone bender

There's your problem there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Dannyboi3k wrote: »
    I never said I was from Dublin :D
    but this is the dublin forum dont ya know ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

darragh16 wrote: »
    There's your problem there...

What problem who was talking about problems?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

the old early house is mighty crack - the unique experience of drinking pints of stout at 7.30am surrounded by a mix of finished night workers, people on an all-nighter and alcoholic business types having a scoop before work.

I go once or twice a year - its doesn't have f*uck up your day, nothing like leaving a pub at 11am half - cut stumbling home for a kip.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,423 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ah all-day pub crawls that started at 9am, how I miss thee. How I lasted till club closing time...ask somebody else! One I was in was grand, had some in there and a massive fry next door, fairly quiet.

Slattery's and The Chancery are quiet enough.
    The White Horse is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

jiltloop wrote: »
    You sound like a barrel of laughs.

Yes, on the same page as a thread about a student who drank himself to death we should all feel your pain in your difficulties getting into an early house already píssed for the 'lulz' of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What was the name of that place on Dock Rd on the corner? Padraigs?
    Used to open about 8ish. I'd see people stand outside on my way to work.
    Thought to myself I'd take a sick day and just go in there instead, never did though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Charlie's in Cork is a great laugh. All sorts go in there. I pulled out a twenty one morning and a guy genuinely asked me for 2 euro, in the terrors from drink. The whole pub sang bohemian rhapsody at one point aswell, but there was only about 12 inside.

Some sad cases though, it's depressing.

edit: How many early houses are there in Dublin? I can only think of 2 in Cork, I was told to "go on away and have a boiled egg," in the other one so don't go in there.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ah the early house.. Good times :D

Back in my wild child days I used to frequent the likes of The White Horse near Tara Station and Slatteries on Capel Street after an all nighter.

Some great memories.. Wouldn't do it now mind.. I still get a giggle out of seeing people hanging around outside them on a Saturday morning with their glad rags still on them and makeup remnants still around their eyes.. gives me a nice warm nostalgic feeling :)

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, on the same page as a thread about a student who drank himself to death we should all feel your pain in your difficulties getting into an early house already píssed for the 'lulz' of course.
    Feel my pain? Being dramatic much? This is afterhours mate go have a whinge somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Used to be a few in Letterkenny. They were like scenes from human traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Haven't done an early house in over 15yrs. Only used them when I lived away and would return for the X-mas all nighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    Ugh, last memory was back in February, up all night on a mephedrone bender, someone comes up with bright idea to go to early house on quays, so get more meph on the way to it and end up drinking there till it closed at midday and then another boozer till about 4. Then went to bed. Took me about 4 days to get over that bender. Dark, dark times...

Ah the auld mephedrone seems like along time ago , probably better off now that its gone , some craic at the same time.

I dont live in a town that has an early house but a pub that opens early can be good craic as im one that loves the second day of a session more than the first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    Ah the auld mephedrone seems like along time ago , probably better off now that its gone , some craic at the same time.

I dont live in a town that has an early house but a pub that opens early can be good craic as im one that loves the second day of a session more than the first
    The second day is always the best craic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

People should go to bed at some time! There is a dodgy looking one down by the quays opposite the Dublin City Council. You always have knackers hanging around outside there having an early morning ciggy and pint.... :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement