Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chronic Migrane

Options
  • 04-11-2010 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭

How you all dealing with it? Especially in this weather? The glare is seriously making things extra difficult for me :(

Iv been to the doc and don't fancy pumping drugs into me for the entire winter.

Does anyone have any other suggestions [Apart from sit in the dark all winter :rolleyes:] that can help relieve migraine from light? Any simple suggestions or remedies you've come up with that DOESNT involve a prescription or paracetemol!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I know it might sound silly, but sunglasses help, I wear glasses and got new ones with clip on sun glasses, it helps when it's just that bit too bright out, especially when driving as I find the light can be very harsh.
    I'm not one for popping something all the time either, you just build up an immunity.

edit - I get chronic headaches, that I really think are sometimes migraines so I don't know if tis the same as what you are experiencing but felt I'd say about the sunglasses anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I always wear sunlasses,

If you know your triggers do your best to avoid them.

Mine are bright lights, loud noises, certain smells, lack of sleep, over sleep (once in a blue moon) and tying my hair back or wearing a hat.

I never took stuff for my migraines as nothing worked when i found migraleve (question the spelling on that one) i was over the moon, but sometimes that doesn't work either and i go to the gp and get something stronger.

Its either that or beta blockers.

Aye I have similar triggers, light, lack of sleep or if I manage to sleep over sleep can do it too, along with tying up my hair/hats/hairbands etc. It is really about knowing your triggers well & trying to find ways to combat/avoid them.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I am CONSTANTLY wearing sunglasses.. And they help a bit. Bit awkward when wearing them in the house though.

I honestly never thought of the tying the hair back thing... And I do wear my hair up alot. Gonna try with it down and see if it help. Thanks already for that suggestion. Already a massive help!

Another thing can be if a room is too stuffy, with winter it's worse sometimes because you have the heating on and windows might be closed earlier in the day. I have one of my bedroom windows locked open (about an inch or so, the handles lock into the frame so it can't be opened) all the time, even overnight unless it's extremely windy and it's causing lots of noise. That way there's always some fresh air in my bedroom even when sleeping.
    Making sure rooms you're in for a long while are well aired and that they're not too stuffy/hot might help too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement