Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has Skytel rebranded as Rocket Broadband?

• 04-11-2010 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭

Saw an ad campaign for Rocket Broadband in Wexford,the layout looked very similar to Skytel.They seem to be offering fixed wimax with speeds of up to 10mbs,does anybody have them or is it just reselling of Imagines wimax service?
    http://www.rocketbroadband.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes, it's SkyTel
    1.2 Skytel Networks Ireland Ltd customer care number is 1890 886 005

Payment
    1.3 Skytel's tariffs for the Service(s), as amended from time to time, also form part of the Agreement. We reserve the right to alter such tariffs and shall notify the Customer of any increase in price by notice in writing and/or via national newspapers and/or on the customer bill 5 days in advance of the effective date.
    via http://www.rocketbroadband.ie/index.php?id=9
    18.1.1 resell or provide access to the Service or any other Skytel service to any third parties or parties not located on the same premises, without the prior express written consent of Skytel. Breach of this provision may result in immediate suspension of the Service until the problem is corrected;

They claim they don't charge for over cap. It's "unlimited" with "Fair Usage Policy". Which is NOT unlimited at all.
    9.4 Subscribers shall ensure that they do not exceed fair usage limits other wise excess levies may be applied. The fair usage limits are: Residential Broadband - 40 GB per month SOHO Broadband - 80 GB month Enhanced Broadband - 120 GB month Enterprise Broadband - 175 GB month Excessive levies are applied at 1c per MB (MegaByte)

18.17 Excess usage over fair usage limits will be billed at 1c/MB ( 1 cent per Megabyte). See 9.1.7
    That's 1000c = €10 a gigabyte.

Very dodgy marketing.
    This page of prices http://www.rocketbroadband.ie/index.php?id=4 is a lie when compared to http://www.rocketbroadband.ie/index.php?id=9 the Terms and Conditions.

So 60 Gbyte used on 3Mbps will cost you €25 + €20 = €45
    also though on main page they claim "activation" is €49.99
    on T&C it's
    6.2 The Subscriber is liable for an installation fee of €125. This fee is still applicable if the agreement is broken at any stage either during or after the "cooling off period".

6.3 This Agreement will commence on the Commencement Date, and will continue for the Subscription Period, minimum subscription peroid 12 months. The Subscriber must pay Subscription up to the end of the minimumsubscription if the contract is terminated.

The T&C is your agreement. Not the advert..
    1.10Skytel Networks Ireland Ltd reserves the right to charge customers an additional €20 for unpaid direct debits.

5.1 Skytel may assign this Agreement to an Affiliate or third party without consent.

5.2 The Customer shall not assign this Agreement in whole or in part without the prior written consent of Skytel.

6.1 Failure by either party to exercise or enforce any right conferred by this Agreement shall not be deemed to be a waiver of any such right and does not operate so as to bar the exercise or enforcement thereof, or of any such right or any other right on any later occasion.

1.2 "Agreement" means this Master Subscription Agreement together with the Acceptable Usage Policy;

19.1 Skytel recommends that you print off a copy of these terms and conditions for your own record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dottie69

Most helpful guys thanks. . that's why I love board.ie.... x

• Registered Users Posts: 14 PotatoSTALKER

Renaming themselves in another area because they're known for giving terrible service :|

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jane_72

Under no circumstances would I ever use skytel again!! Desperate service, intermitant at best, any time I tried to phone the office NEVER anyone who could answer my queries. CAT CAT CAT! rather have no broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Have had Skytel Residential 3 down / 1 up for about 2 years now. I have no alternative as my landline is not up too much and because of pesky trees / mountains the only broadband service available to me is Skytel. Have had some minor issues with speed etc occassionaly but the problems are always sorted fairly satisfactorily. I did find it funny that they reccommend you E-Mail them with any probs that you may experience as it is quicker than getting a response through their helpline....kinda difficult if I have no broadband to E-Mail them my difficulties:rolleyes:

Generally I am happy with the service that i am getting. Maybe I've just been lucky so far:confused:

DC

• Advertisement

Reposting this, posted in another skytel thread too.
    I'd like to hear more opinions about Skytel smile.gif
    I've seen plenty of complaints on other forums and websites about their services and attitude.
    http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/skytel/
    Just look at all the negative reviews there frown.gif
    And I'd encourage any skytel customers to voice their opinions there too!
    I can't wait to move so I can get rid of them :[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ps200306

I am finally shut of them after three years of utterly miserable service. They pulled the plug on me after finally admitting they could not provide service (after billing me for three years). Truly, truly awful service ... support never replies to e-mails, rarely if ever call you back. I got half a dozen different stories over the years about why the service was so bad, none of which made any sense. After four different dishes and firmware updates you would think they would cop that it's not a dish problem. But every time you call it's like history gets reset. Other people may have had a different (hopefully better) experience -- I don't see how they could be still in business if that wasn't the case, so this is just my personal experience. I have opened a complaint with Com Reg about them.

You should post a review on http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/skytel/

They started Limiting by connection speeds last week (paying for 6meg down 2meg up, €60 a month)

3lP1l.png
    I had to go as far as threatening to sue them in order to get my normal connection speed back (still limiting my upload speed, but if I complain they will probably limit everything again) :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭ps200306

You should post a review on http://ratemyisp.ie/ratings/skytel/

They started Limiting by connection speeds last week (paying for 6meg down 2meg up, €60 a month)

3lP1l.png
    I had to go as far as threatening to sue them in order to get my normal connection speed back (still limiting my upload speed, but if I complain they will probably limit everything again) :(

The December 13, 2010 review at ratemyisp is mine. Believe it or not I was in a relatively good mood for that one because the connection was marginally working. But general reliability stats for the connection were completely rubbish -- I monitored it continuously for months and months -- and outages of hours at a time were common. I don't believe that can have been the common experience of most Skytel customers, but they could never get to the bottom of my problems, so they pulled the plug on me.

How do you know they are limiting your speeds? Mine were completely variable all the time, between zero and some maximum. Jitter was always off the scale though, so VOIP was impossible. So as well as paying Skytel €60/month, I was paying at least the same again in mobile charges, and another €30 for a Vodafone 3G connection as "backup" ... although the backup ended up being the primary connection for the last year. If I hadn't had it I would have been complaining a lot more vociferously to Skytel. Ironically it was their final attempted fix that finally broke the thing altogether, leaving me with no service at all ... although they've refused to refund me even for that period, hence the Com Reg complaint.

I did a speedtest every hour and the speeds were exactly the same, it was like that for 2 days or more.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement