Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stay motivated?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm doing a H.Dip. by Distance Learning, which can lead to a Masters next year, and I seem to be losing motivation as the weeks go on.

The format of the course is we do 3 subjects this semester, and 3 next, and we attend the college one full weekend a month. I have 3 assignments due in on Saturday at 9am, so took a couple of days annual leave this week to get them completed.
    2 I have finished - but for this last one I seem to have lost all motivation. I've been staring at the same Word document since around 10am this morning, and I don't seem to be able to put words to paper at all. I know the format of what I want to write, but I just don't seem to be able to write it. :confused:
    I am working tomorrow, so this needs to be finished tonight - or as much of it finished as possible. I have 500 words written all day long! (It needs to be 2500 which isn't long I know!).

(maybe if I managed to stay off Boards I might get something done! :rolleyes: ).

Anyway sorry for the rant. But how do the rest of you stay motivated and interested when studying??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I used to ring someone else on the course to discuss it. It made a huge difference and sometimes focused me, and other times by discussing it I was able to think of ideas.

Other times when I couldn't think of anything to write I wrote everything I could in bullet points and tried to go from there.

The final thing I used to do when completely frustrated was have a drink. The alcohol relaxed me (may not work for everyone) and allowed me to get stuff down. Some of my classmates swore doing assignments with a bottle of beer to help get thoughts down.

I came out with a 1.1masters this year, so it must have worked!

Good luck! Its really difficult to study and work.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

hi
    im in a similar boat as im a distance student in a masters course in dcu. im doing 4 subjects this semester. i work 4 days a week.

bizarrely the more work i do the more motivation i have. the less work i do i lose motivation as the work kinda piles up!

i was away with work and sick for a bit so didnt get much done the last 2 weeks and so ive been struggling to get back into it. before this i was doing a bit most nights and so i was fairly happy to do a bit each night as i was on top of things.

just keep plugging away if you can, at least thats what i tell myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

Hi, Im a single mum with 2 primary school going children. I'm doing Accounting Technician 2 year distance learning.

What I find helps if I cant think of words to put on paper is take a 10 minute break and hang up the wash, or load the dishwasher, fold the wash, make the beds, prep the dinner etc. When you come back you should be able to make a fresh start.

So go on, grab a coffee like I just did, get off boards, and keep going!!!

(To OP, hope you got it done!!)

To all of us, good luck!!:D

Advertisement