Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electricians pay agreement

Options
  • 04-11-2010 10:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Does anyone know what the current situation regarding the electricians pay agreement is. What is the current union rate. My boss says the agreement is to be cancelled. i would be happy to set my own wages with him as I need this job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Does anyone know what the current situation regarding the electricians pay agreement is. What is the current union rate. My boss says the agreement is to be cancelled. i would be happy to set my own wages with him as I need this job.

If they employ you as an electrician they legally have to pay the union rate and can be taken to court if they don't if your apart of the union. To be safe he can employ you as a Electrical Technician/ Engineer or something else and pay you an agreed rate. To be honest its not your concern its the employers, you can work for whatever you want and then take him to court for the backdated full union rate when you leave so its in his best interests to have something else other than an electrician in your contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

I am currently getting 25 euro per hour. What is the union rate. who agrees this rate ???

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

I am currently getting 25 euro per hour. What is the union rate. who agrees this rate ???

22 or that. Think its 25 for a foreman. I wouldnt be complaining if your working in this country anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Check the TEEU website, they might have more info.

Otherwise you're getting paid very well. I wouldn't query it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Isn't the registered agreement rate just a minimum rate? Youre still free to negotiate a higher rate with your employer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Electricman

Following a meeting which the majority of its members attended, the ECA leadership has been instructed to join the AECIs bid to cancel the Registered Employment Agreement.
    ECA and AECI have sent a joint letter to Mr Kevin Duffy the chairman of the Labour Court requesting cancellaton under section 29 (3) of the 1946 Industrial Relations Act.
    Section 29 (3) states
    (3) Where a registered employment agreement does not provide for its duration or termination, the Court may, after the lapse of twelve months from the date of registration, cancel the registration on the application, made after six months' notice to the Court, of all parties thereto representative of workers or of employers
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1946/...6/sec0029.html

While Mr Duffy has been a champion in upholding this agreement through thick and thin, it is difficult to see how Mr Duffy can refuse this particular application as it is from all the employer groups which are represented in the agreement. It now appears that his selective applications of the law of the land have run out of room to manouver and his back is to the wall to actually apply the law.

It is now clear that the failure of the parties to the current agreement to update the agreement to reflect modern working practices will cost them dearly. The TEEU will lose the most, as their members will now have to face the harsh reality of a free market.

Interesting times ahead !!!!!!!!!! eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

See Also
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfqlkfsngbgb/rss2/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭Del007

Most contractors don't pay the rate anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Nobody in any of the trades is working for the proper rate nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Here are the rates http://www.epace.ie/wagerate.htm

The whole way the electrical industry is set up is regulated is a bit of a shambles. No harm in the agreement coming to an end. Its ridiculous that a young inexperienced apprentice is automatically entitled to the same wages as a guy who has years of experience. No reason why it shouldnt be like any other industry where a guys wages can reflect his experience and ability

Advertisement