Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Friend - child minding

Options
  • 04-11-2010 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭

A Family friend whom i know and trust has offered to mind our daughter when the maternity leave is up. I am just wondering what people believe a fair amount to pay her would be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Where do you live? Our crèche in Dublin 10 charges e860 a month and that seems to be the lower end of the scale. If it's full time 5 days a week then 180-200 per week seems fair imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'd be really interested in people's opinions on this too, as I have a similar offer from a relative of my husband's. She is a lovely lady and would be far too nice to haggle about a wage, so I'd like to have a figure to offer her.

From what I know, it seems to depend a lot on location i.e. Dublin is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Depends where you live really. OP is from Offaly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crazybaldhead

In general I have found creches etc to work out at about €50 per day on average. I have found that family members wouldnt accept that rate though and they only wanted half that or less. Different for everyone.

I am in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I was thinking €150. I'm in the wilds of Donegal and she would be minding my wee buck in her own home along with her own grandchild i.e. she would be at home anyway.

The other issue is that I'm a teacher so obviously there will be 3 weeks between now and the summer and the odd day when my other half is off when I won't need her. Do people usually pay the weekly fee to a childminder even when the child isn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would say 150 is about right, given that you are working teachers hours.

I've had a long time of childminders with my own child, who's now 10. I now have a minder for the past two years, and it works out great. I have found that paying the minder, even when she doesn't have my child, works best for me. However, I work 9 to 5, mon to fri and have 26 days pa holidays - so not like teacher holidays.

For example, I took a few days off over haloween but I still paid my childminder - I find when I do this, I'm less reluctant to ask her to do me the odd favour here or there (hang onto my child for an extra half hour while I go to the shops/drop my child somewhere during the day, a birthday party for example). My sister recently mentioned that she thinks I'm mad paying her when she doesn't mind my child, but it's swings and roundabouts as far as I'm concerned.

In your case, as you'd be off longer, I'd discuss half-pay while you're on leave r something similar. You might be lucky, and hang onto this woman for years, but just be aware that all these arrangements don't work out - I went through a few minders before I found 'the one' who worked best with both my child, and myself. Best of luck OP.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Giull - It depends on how many kids and the hours and your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

1 Girl, 8 months old (at time of minding), Offaly.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

30-35 euro a day and you supply the food and milk that she needs is probably a good number.
    Also arrange if you pay her for days that you take off as it would be the norm that you do.

Advertisement