Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JA denied, Can I claim for JB?

• 04-11-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

I have been denied JA as I went to see SW after ten weeks to ask that my claim be settled so I could afford to leave the country to take a job. I showed them the contract and they said that my claim was being denied as applying for jobs abroad meant that I wouldn't fulfill the Habitual Residency Condition as it was obvious I didn't intend to remain in Ireland. The Catch 22 is that because my claim has been denied I cannot afford to take the job (I need money for flights, living money for 4-6 weeks and medical etc) so my future intentions have changed. It was my intention to leave until I could find a job in Ireland or my son starts school in three years.

In a further development, I have since found out that I when I was told I could not apply for JB it was based on the fact that self-employed people in Ireland only pay S stamp. However I was self-employed in Poland (I am Irish, my wife Polish) and had to pay the unemployment insurance stamp as well(around 220euro a month ). I went back to them and they said that I could apply for JB but that it could take 4-5 months (believable as I have been waiting more than three months for my JA claim). Ironically I will end up getting much more money in SWA waiting than my backdated claim is worth and I won't be able to take the job and will probably have to take JB for 12 months.

Is there anyone I can get to see that denying me JA so that they can grant me JB in 4 months time and prevent me taking employment while perhaps technically justifiable is a waste of state funds, a wasted opportunity for me and illogical? Can I claim for JB any faster?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I don't understand how you will qualify for JB - what were you doing in 2008? Were you self employed then? You need A class stamps to qualify for JB?

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

In 2008 I was self-employed in Poland. As best as I can work out, it would seem that in Poland I paid the equivalent of A class stamps. It would seem that in Poland you have to, in the UK you can choose to but in Ireland you don't. However it shouldn't matter what stamps self-employed people pay in Ireland as I worked in and paid unemployment insurance stamps in Poland. I then came to Ireland and paid stamps as an employee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Right...

JSA

Jobseeker's Allowance
    To get Jobseeker’s Allowance you must be:

Over 18 and under 66
    Unemployed
    Capable of work, available for work and genuinely seeking work
    Habitually resident
    Pass a means test

JB

Jobseeker's Benefit
    Self-employed people pay Class S PRSI. Class S PRSI only covers you for certain social welfare payments. It does not cover you for Jobseeker’s Benefit

However

if you worked as an employee in the last 4 years, you may have paid Class A PRSI and should apply to your Social Welfare Local Office for Jobseeker’s Benefit. Your Social Welfare Local Office will check their records to find out whether you have enough Class A contributions to get Jobseeker’s Benefit.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

From what I can read you can't claim JB any faster I'm afraid

Out of curiosity, have you tried to talk to someone from you local health centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

forfuxsake wrote: »
    In 2008 I was self-employed in Poland. As best as I can work out, it would seem that in Poland I paid the equivalent of A class stamps. It would seem that in Poland you have to, in the UK you can choose to but in Ireland you don't. However it shouldn't matter what stamps self-employed people pay in Ireland as I worked in and paid unemployment insurance stamps in Poland. I then came to Ireland and paid stamps as an employee

OK as long as you have paid 39 stamps in 2008 then, and 104 overall (have to be A class not S), and at least one A class stamp in Ireland since coming here from Poland, you can qualify for JB. If you have never transferred your contributions from Poland to Ireland before, that will be what will delay your claim. The Irish authorities have to wait for the Polish ones to send them the information to say you did pay the stamps.

No, I am going there on Monday morning. The sickening thing is that had I known I could have claimed SWA from August but when I was told how long my claim would take to be processed I was told that I could go to the CWO for money until my claim was settled if I had no other means. I took this too literally and sold my car. I have been living on this money ever since and it is now exhausted.

I went to the welfare office today and explained this and the supervisor I spoke to was quite sympathetic. I submitted an application for a review of the HRC decision and she said she would speak to the deciding officer but that the decision could only be reversed by the deciding officer. When I discovered that I could have been claiming SWA at a rate equivalent to jobseekers for the past three months I literally vomited.

My biggest fear now is that my JB is turned down. I have heard of Polish nationals being offered return flights to their home country but I am not from Poland, do not speak the language and would literally be getting off the plane and building an igloo in the snow. I would have to send my wife and son back to stay with her mother in a 2 bedroomed apartment already home to her mother, father, sister, her sister's husband and their two children. I would have to remain here in some kind of homeless centre?, while I looked for a job and appealed the decision on my habitual residence.

We are literally down to our last 130 euro from this month's child benefit.

• Advertisement

Jarecki - I was employed in Poland and paying all required social insurance from September 2004 until October 2007(From this date I was self-employed but still paying 3 kinds of PRSI/ZUS). I have also paid PRSI class A for one year in Ireland, August 2009 to August 2010

Advertisement