Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCH Parking

Options
  • 04-11-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭

Using this forum to make a point after parking the car at the hospital last week and finding myself parked in for the day. The pay parking spaces do have spaces but these are not available to workers. The workers seem to have no option but to park on the double yellow lines and every corner, in front of cars etc.. the question I have is why the hell is there no transport too and from the hospital on a regular basis :confused:. If your working in the hospital, there is very little option but to drive if you dont live on the west side of the city and the same would apply for the NUI staff and the issue with parking spaces their as the buses that in newcastle are never on time and the drivers only go to the city center (5/10 minutes walk) if they are running more than 5 mins late (which is always).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Your frustration is justified. The parking facilities at that hospital are both appalling and inadequate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Using this forum to make a point after parking the car at the hospital last week and finding myself parked in for the day. The pay parking spaces do have spaces but these are not available to workers. The workers seem to have no option but to park on the double yellow lines and every corner, in front of cars etc.. the question I have is why the hell is there no transport too and from the hospital on a regular basis :confused:. If your working in the hospital, there is very little option but to drive if you dont live on the west side of the city and the same would apply for the NUI staff and the issue with parking spaces their as the buses that in newcastle are never on time and the drivers only go to the city center (5/10 minutes walk) if they are running more than 5 mins late (which is always).

Plans for a multistorey carpark were objected to by the Shantalla residents and the current situation is a result of that.

I couldnt agree more with you regarding the bus service, when the govts company car parking fee comes in then the parking around that part of town is going to get mental as people will balk at paying 200e and start parking in all the streets surrounding UCHG and NUI.
    There is no realistic alternative to get from east of the city to that part of the town, coming from Oranmore would take me a minimum of 50mins (incl walking) without any waiting for buses/missed buses to get to that part of town.

If galway bring in an integrated monthly public transport ticket then I and I am sure others might consider it as at least then I would be able to avail of more than 1 bus an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the question I have is why the hell is there no transport too and from the hospital on a regular basis :confused:. If your working in the hospital, there is very little option but to drive if you dont live on the west side of the city

I hate to break it to you, but currently routes
    • 2 (from Renmore through to Knocknacarra)
    • 4 (from Merlin Park through to Newcastle)
    • 5 (from Ballybane through to Rahoon)
    all pass by the front gate of the hospital. So saying there's "no" transport is a bit, well, wrong.

They run roughly every 20 minutes in the daytime and 30/40-ish in the evening. I agree that they should be more frequent (2 especially: if that was a 10-15 minute service, I believe it would be as popular, and profitable, as the famous route 9).

And I agree that the lack of a city bus with integrated ticketing to/from Oranmore, and even Claregalway, is just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

JustMary wrote: »
    • 2 (from Renmore through to Knocknacarra)
    • 4 (from Merlin Park through to Newcastle)
    • 5 (from Ballybane through to Rahoon)
    all pass by the front gate of the hospital. So saying there's "no" transport is a bit, well, wrong.

They run roughly every 20 minutes in the daytime and 30/40-ish in the evening. I agree that they should be more frequent (2 especially: if that was a 10-15 minute service, I believe it would be as popular, and profitable, as the famous route 9).

And I agree that the lack of a city bus with integrated ticketing to/from Oranmore, and even Claregalway, is just ridiculous.

Bus 4 only runs at 7.40 and 8.55 in the mornings which is just about as useful as a chocolate teapot for anyone wanting to be in town for usual work start 8.30-9.
    And why is it more frequent during the day when the majority of people are on the roads in the morning or evening!!

I would love to use public transport as a good integrated system is easy to use and is a much more stress free way of getting to work, but that is very very unlikely to happen in Galway if Dublin cant even get it sorted out so until then I will have to keep using my car :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There are regular buses to the hospital. Just not from your location.

If a survey were to be carried out on workers in UCH, we would find that the majority drive to work on their own. What about car-sharing?
    I know of a woman who lives 10 minutes walk from the hospital and drives to work every day. She is not emergency personnel.

It's a question of attitude.

• Advertisement

People complain about these things but do nothing about it. If you carry out a survey, see how many people could commute by bus but can't because of time scheduling and if there's a large enough number, then bring it to Bus Eireann and see if they could put on earlier departure times.

If only we had a culture of carpools over here and benefits to make people do this i.e. dedicated lanes.

Burkes buses do a drop off at the university around the corner in the mornings but you have to go to town to get the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Burkes buses do a drop off at the university around the corner in the mornings but you have to go to town to get the return.

True, if your coming from Tuam and there is only the one bus that leaves in the evening at 5:15pm
    * 2 (from Renmore through to Knocknacarra)
    * 4 (from Merlin Park through to Newcastle)
    * 5 (from Ballybane through to Rahoon)

All go into the city center and if your at peak time, leave you in the city center. Route may clearly say you go to Renmore or Merline Park or Ballybane on the east side of the city but if you take the bus for a week, you'll find yourself in the city center 4 days out of 5..

No bus uses the bridge which would be the only option if you supplied the service. UCH / NUI / Newcastle rd / Westside to Headford rd, doughiska, ballybane, merlin park, renmore and well park to prospect hill would be an easy route to supply.

If your coming from Oranmore or anywhere on the east of the city, driving is the only option !!

Webbs wrote: »
    Plans for a multistorey carpark were objected to by the Shantalla residents and the current situation is a result of that.

To add to this, the new parking provided by the ring road in the hospital is for the workers (no problem with this) but why all the green grass and trees in the parking lot. There's about 40/50 extra spaces available if it was done correctly :mad:

Who are the fools that do the planning, it's quite obvious that they do not actually use the parking facilities as it would be understood green grass and tree areas are off no use to anyone..

No bus uses the bridge which would be the only option if you supplied the service. UCH / NUI / Newcastle rd / Westside to Headford rd, doughiska, ballybane, merlin park, renmore and well park to prospect hill would be an easy route to supply.

Indeed: I've said before that if I was king there's be an outer orbiter route. Or maybe even two, with one serving all east-side industrial estates and another one similar to what you've said. And frequent enough the people wouldn't mind changing.

I'd also have integrated ticketing, and promote the day, weekly and monthly passes a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

There is a free shuttle bus from merlin park hospital everyday for the workers who want to park in merlin park. It is a nighrmare for the workers to park at UCH because there is not enough spaces.

hondasam wrote: »
    There is a free shuttle bus from merlin park hospital everyday for the workers who want to park in merlin park. It is a nighrmare for the workers to park at UCH because there is not enough spaces.

hondasam, any details on this ?

hondasam, any details on this ?

owen linnane bus, leaves merlin park every hr and leaves uch every half hr, its for uch workers but I dont think the ask for id. My sister gets it but not every day.

Don't suppose you know what hours it runs to/from?

My site often gets visits from people who google something like "galway hospital shuttle bus", but this is the first time I've had a good lead about an actual service. The hospital's been on my list of places to do a detailed map about for ages.

Don't suppose you know what hours it runs to/from?

My site often gets visits from people who google something like "galway hospital shuttle bus", but this is the first time I've had a good lead about an actual service. The hospital's been on my list of places to do a detailed map about for ages.

starts at 8am in merlin park, not sure if the last one from uch is at 5pm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A free hourly shuttle bus for healthy earning people paid for by the taxpayer?

snubbleste wrote: »

It's for workers who work between uch and merlin park. something else for p s bashers to complain about.

snubbleste wrote: »

If your employer asked you to move between sites during the course of a day, you'd be expecting either a car-allowance or transport provided.

Seems to me that a shuttle is a very cost-effective way of the latter option, and has spin-off benefits for parking too. Sounds like a win all round to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

It's for workers who work between uch and merlin park. something else for p s bashers to complain about.

You have changed your story and are backtracking.

You have changed your story and are backtracking.

what ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement