Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Xbox can i keep my old gamer tag

• 05-11-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

hello all

my xbox got the red ring of death thingy,,,,,,and ive recently just found out im getting the new xbox of santa...
    any way of keeping my old gamer tag ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭CORaven

1)Take the HDD out and pop it into your new XBL.
    2) Grab a USB stick, move your profile and game saves over to the USB drive.
    3) Pop in your new HDD and transfer back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

If its the old model Xbox that got RROD this wont work as they use different hard drives.

Best way to do it then is get hold of or buy a data transfer cable. Attach one end to old hard drive, other end to USB port on new console and transfer everything over.

Beforehand though use the licence transfer tool to authorise your new console for all your DLC.

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/Support/LicenseMigration/Home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

if its the slim your getting then just do this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKnaixPCsns

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭lordstilton

Log into xbox live and it will pull you gamertag details. You can log into any xbox with your gamertag. I have gone through two xboxes and each time I just logged in with my gamertag and password. Don't know why people are suggesting you need to move hdd's and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yeah no hard drive messing required to keep your gamertag, just use gamertag recovery on the new one and sign in with your info

easy peasy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

I think they mentioned the hard drive and transfer cable cos they presumed the OP might want to keep his saved games/dlc content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    I think they mentioned the hard drive and transfer cable cos they presumed the OP might want to keep his saved games/dlc content.

The only thing you won't keep is game saves. DLC status is linked to your gamertag, just download it again as needed.

Advertisement